INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Every file in my library loses its path. Seemingly at random.  (Read 1522 times)

knuta

• Recent member
Every file in my library loses its path. Seemingly at random.
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:53:31 pm »

I've encountered this strange problem in MC18, where all my files are suddenly missing their path and of course they cannot be played back when this happens. It has happened a few times since upgrading to 18. The only solution has been to delete all files from the library and import everything again manually or let auto-import do it.

I do think every time I've seen this behavior the program has just crashed previous to it happening. I might come home from work and turn on my tv and see that MC has crashed (I always leave my machine on and MC running to let it auto-import all the time) and when I restart MC the files are all missing the path. I have no idea how I would reproduce this behavior either since I'm never there when it happens. I could leave logging on, but the log would probably grow huge from the time I turn it on until the problem happens again.

I've attached a picture of my auto-import config. As you can see all the files are sourced from network drives, but this server is always on and the problem did not exist in MC17 so I can't see that being the problem.

This is of course a huge pain when I've got over 300 000 files (don't ask :P)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Every file in my library loses its path. Seemingly at random.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:57:42 pm »

There was a similar problem reported in the last week or so that turned out to be a firmware problem with Synology NAS drives.

knuta

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:08:37 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately all my network drives are just in another computer running windows 7. No NAS at all in my setup.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:17:02 pm »

Do the hard drives on the other computers that have the Windows shares spin down due to your Power Options? 

Would this cause media center to mark them as unavailable or something like this?  or maybe it tries to auto import and the shares are not available creating a crash which corrupts some part of their database structure ?

You could try setting the drives to NEVER power off and see if this makes a difference.

knuta

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:23:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure they never spin down on the server. The server is actually my "workstation". The machine I use for downloading and gaming etc. and I can't tolerate the wait when drives power down.

When all the paths are lost I don't get the "file not found" error either. The field containing the path is just empty (I guess this means all 3 fields: "Filename", "Filename (Name)" and "Filename (Path)").
If I try to playback one of the files >nothing< happens at all. No errors or anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up