INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Setup  (Read 2137 times)

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Server Setup
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:52:20 am »

Not sure how to go about this, the documentation wasn't so hot in the wiki :(.

I have my main machine running MC17 and connected to my home theater system. This machine has my raid array with all my media on it. I would like it shared to other computers in the house. Every room is wired with cat-6 and my switches are all gigabit.

What needs to be installed on the other computers? MC17 as well? Where does MC Jukebox come into play? And whats the best way to link the clients to the server to share the library?

Thanks very much!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server Setup
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:54:22 am »

It isn't too complicated.

1.  On your server, set Media Network on.  This is also where you get the Access Key.

2.  On your client, under Playing Now, choose "Add a Library".  Enter your Access Key.  Then load the library from the server.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:46:49 am »

What needs to be installed on the other computers? MC17 as well? Where does MC Jukebox come into play? And whats the best way to link the clients to the server to share the library?

Clients can be MC17 as well. MC license allows multiple installations within the same household, within reason. MC jukebox I believe is a stand alone player, if you have an MC17 license you don't need MC Jukebox.

A client running MC17 can connect to your MC Server once you've done the steps in JimH's post. Go to File/Library/Library Manager. Click on Add Library  and type in the Access key you got when you enabled Media Network on your server. It takes a few seconds but then it should connect and load the remote library.

If you want to change tags and stuff remotely, you need to enable Authentication on your server under Media Network settings. On a client you need to then go to Media Network settings and under Client Options, enable auto sync with server. Once you enable authentication though, it counts for all clients and they will all ask for the credentials upon connection the first time, you can have a client remember the credentials though.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:23:52 pm »

I find that occasionally my clients cannot connect to the server when I use the access codes. Not sure why. I therefore have a fixed IP address for my server and then, instead of using the access code use the server IP address - something like 192.168.1.20;52199 where 52199 is the port that MC uses. That seems to be much more reliably that using the access code, not sure why. If you have trouble connecting at times, you might want to try using the direct IP address, as long as it is fixed on the server.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 04:20:49 am »

I find that occasionally my clients cannot connect to the server when I use the access codes. Not sure why.
I believe the access key method is a "cloud" thing, where your server's IP address gets stored at jriver.com (or whatever) against the access key, so if your server IP is dynamic your client doesn't have to be reconfigured when it changes. This has the disadvantage that your client must have internet access when started and J River's server needs to be up and running and responding.  If there is a problem somewhere, the access key won't work.

I believe a fixed IP address for your server is the best way to go, as you have indicated, as it doesn't rely on other peoples' servers to work. I also believe in wired home networks rather than wireless.  Just one less thing to go wrong!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 04:37:24 am »

I believe the access key method is a "cloud" thing, where your server's IP address gets stored at jriver.com (or whatever) against the access key, so if your server IP is dynamic your client doesn't have to be reconfigured when it changes. This has the disadvantage that your client must have internet access when started and J River's server needs to be up and running and responding.  If there is a problem somewhere, the access key won't work.
Not quite.   MC will use the last "known good" address if it can't reach our server.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:33:43 pm »

Jim

You might want to look into how the "last good" address is determined and stored. In my case, the last good  value seems to be a address that is by no means the last good address. In fact, it seems to be an address that I cannot remember ever being used and seems to be the same for months, even though I use Tremote regularly. It seems like it may not be updated based on recent connections.  I changed to fixed IP because the "last good" was never correct.

Thanks.

Tom

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:05:03 am »

You might want to look into how the "last good" address is determined and stored.

+1. On one client install here on my local network - MC can never, ever find the "server" at first startup. I always get the "failed" dialog box and have to click Retry. Then and only then will it actually find the "server". All computers have reserved IP addresses and I am truly out of ideas as to why this never works.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up