INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume slider response poor on DLNA zones  (Read 2127 times)

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
Volume slider response poor on DLNA zones
« on: October 10, 2012, 04:40:36 am »

MC18.0.55
Win 7 X64 SP1 (I7 CPU with 6GB RAM)

Hi,
I have noticed that the response of the volume slider when my DLNA zones are selected is poor.  By this I mean when trying to drag the slider it doesn't move & the % doesn't change.  With nothing playing there is a noticable lag, when something is playing the lag can be a couple of seconds.  The same occurs with mute and trying to display the volume options

I have three zones configured.  All are using internal volume.  One uses the PC's soundcard & two via DLNA to WD TV Live units.  The issue isn't present on the zone using the PC's soundcard

As a comparison I shutdown v 18 (including Media Server) & fired up v17.0.186 and its media server.  There still appears to be lag with the DLNA zones, however it is nowhere near as great.

benchmark on v18 is 2854

Any ideas?

thanks,

Steve

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume slider response poor on DLNA zones
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:36:35 am »

I mean when trying to drag the slider it doesn't move & the % doesn't change.  With nothing playing there is a noticable lag, when something is playing the lag can be a couple of seconds.  The same occurs with mute and trying to display the volume options

I guess that bob is sending SetVolume() resp. SetMute() to the player and then either waiting for the player to send an event message with the new value, or polling the player state via GetVolume() resp. GetMute(). I think this is the correct way to do it, in order to get the real actual status. But it does lead to latency on the message round trip, which (as you noted) is longer when there is media traffic being played. I expect also that your player may be a slow responder so it may also be contributing to the problem.

I guess that bob could have MC update its volume bar etc. on a local assumption of what the player state ought now to be, then update it again when the actual player state comes in over the wire...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:46:50 pm »

Thanks Andrew.

This makes sense. 

I don't know a lot about the DLNA specs & was hoping the behaviour was different.  From a user perspective there's no volume control on the WD TV Live, only mute.  I thought the Media Server controlled the volume & as such the volume control response would be quick (however due to buffering the change in volume would be delayed).  When I thought about this more & considered your comments I guessing this isn't the case as the WD TV Live can buffer / store the entire track, but volume changes can be applied at any point

cheers,

Steve

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 02:59:39 pm »

It's mute polling (too often). Will be fixed in the next build.

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 05:09:27 pm »

thanks

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »

hi Bob,

Now on 18.0.59 & have been using the DLNA zones last night & today.  Response is much better. 

Thanks,

Steve

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:18:28 am »

Thanks for the report.
Pages: [1]   Go Up