INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ERROR - 'There is nothing to play'  (Read 2243 times)

steelman1991

• World Citizen
ERROR - 'There is nothing to play'
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:25:39 am »

Curious whether anyone else experiencing this - or whether it may be something peculiar to my system/set-up.

My PC remains on 24/7 directly serving a Panasonic VT6530B plasma screen, via an Anthem MRX300 receiver. Using a Harmony remote I switch between TV viewing and movie viewing. When switching to the pc from tv viewing, occasionally madVR starts (minimized in the notification area) and plays whatever had been playing prior to closing JRiver and switching to tv watching - externally (SKY) and not through a cable card or PC Tuner.

There is no pattern to this, therefore unable to produce a log of the event. Is it normal to have the last played file retained in JRiver (playing now/Player) or should it be completely clear.

EDIT - a search through options threw up - in Options\General\Advanced - the option to 'Clear Now Playing on Exit'. Hopefully that will resolve the instances of phantom playback on start-up.

Since choosing the option to 'Clear Now Playing on Exit' I now get the warning 'There is nothing to play' when I switch from tv to htpc - currently running 18.0.59.

Bug or expected behaviour?

steelman1991

• World Citizen
Re: ERROR - 'There is nothing to play'
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:24:12 am »

Nobody?  :o

Happens every time I change sources - really annoying pop-up.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:11:02 am »

It's a little difficult to understand what you're doing.  When you say "viewing TV", do you mean in MC?

madVR playing something on its own isn't normal.  Maybe another media player is calling it?

Under Tools/Options/General/Behavior, you have some options that might make a difference.

NickF

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:08:38 am »

Curious whether anyone else experiencing this - or whether it may be something peculiar to my system/set-up.

My PC remains on 24/7 directly serving a Panasonic VT6530B plasma screen, via an Anthem MRX300 receiver. Using a Harmony remote I switch between TV viewing and movie viewing. When switching to the pc from tv viewing, occasionally madVR starts (minimized in the notification area) and plays whatever had been playing prior to closing JRiver and switching to tv watching - externally (SKY) and not through a cable card or PC Tuner.

What command is your remote sending to switch from TV to MC?  Is it just changing input on the TV or does it also send commands to the PC?

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25:00 am »

It's a little difficult to understand what you're doing.  When you say "viewing TV", do you mean in MC?

madVR playing something on its own isn't normal.  Maybe another media player is calling it?

Under Tools/Options/General/Behavior, you have some options that might make a difference.

Sorry thought I had made it clear that I wasn't using MC to watch TV, but watching externally via SKY. Similarly I should have clarified that I am using a Harmony remote with 2 activities set-up (1 to watch TV and the other to switch to my PC, I'm sure you are familiar with the line of remote's and their various functions that you don't need a resume from me of how they operate).

After playing around a little - I also edited my post to advise that a change in the options menu to 'clear now playing on exit' seemed to have resolved the issue of madvr playing covertly.

However now when I switch from one activity to the pc, or when opening directly into the pc from an off state (again using the harmony) the Warning message 'there is nothing to play' pops up. Hope this makes it clearer.

Thanks to you both for assisting.

NickF

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 05:09:39 am »

It seems clear to me that MC is seeing a Play command after startup.  I am not familiar with the Harmony remote but I understand the concept of the activities.  Presumably, within an activity definition, a number of commands can be set up.  Check that your PC one does not include "Play".

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 08:24:44 am »

Nick - thanks for the response - looks like it is definitely Harmony related - tried various different combinations in the activity, but no are producing the desired results. Will tinker some more and when I resolve I'll post back here in case others have a similar issue.

EDIT - FYI or anyone with a similar issue. I think I may have resolved the issue by having the Harmony software boot directly into Theatre View, bypassing the desktop (which was my intial preference). So far seems to work OK and makes the whole experience so much more appliance like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up