INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing Issues: It wants to replace/resync all previously transfered files  (Read 2909 times)

StinkPiece

• Recent member

Greetings,

I recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S III (US Cellular) and have been having a hard time getting my music to sync smoothly within MC17/MC18 beta.

The phone likes to show up as a MTP device and I see no option of using it as mass storage. I have the handheld settings configured to sync a handful of playlists to the set folder, convert incompatible files to MP3, and I'd like to have it delete files that I remove from the list (without it deleting files from other folders).

What I've noticed from the moment I tried to sync after the first transfer is that it will analyze all of the files and marked them as "in queue". I can scroll to the bottom and see all of the files already on the device marked as "on device" or "delete on sync" (it seems to vary).

I've got the GSIII connected to the computer right now and it says there are 1700 files. My playlists only make up about 550 songs and the list includes two copies of every track that are marked as "on device" and a fresh list on top that are all marked as "in queue". In essence, MC17 seems to think that I want three copies of each track in that directory.

None of the tracks are marked as "delete on sync" at the moment so I'm not sure exactly what conditions return that result.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the Samsung GS III to sync more fluidly with MC17? I'm at wits end and I'm hesitant to update my library because it essentially means having to start from scratch with the syncing process (which isn't horrible at about 10 minutes of transferring but I'd much prefer a quick update of what's already on the device).

I appreciate any input. I just tried the latest MC18 beta and I'm still having issues. Hopefully it is something that can be resolved because I like the phone a lot and I love Media Center.

Thanks guys. Keep up the good work.

StinkPiece

• Recent member

I apologize for the double post. I just wanted to throw out there that I found a workaround. It's not very elegant but it works. I had to do some research on enabling UMS so the micro SD card would mount as a storage device. Now I've got MC17 syncing my playlists to the designated folder. It's a slow process (transfer speeds of 0.8MB - 1.1MB; about 33% of what I was getting while using MTP) but the time savings from not having to re-transfer everything should negate that decrease.

I'm still open to suggestions on getting more reliable syncing with MTP because it seems to be faster and is much more direct. As I have it now, I have to launch an app to enable UMS, do the sync, eject the micro SD card, and remount it. Since I'm only planning on updating my music every few days, the extra steps aren't a huge concern of mine. I can live with this until a better approach surfaces.

dafloydman

• World Citizen
Re: Syncing Issues: It wants to replace/resync all previously transfered files
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 02:22:28 am »

Hi
I had similar issues with sgs2 and sgs3 (int) in both mc 17,18 and also mediamonkey.  After many headaches I have been led to the conclusion that this an issue with the mtp protocol . I downloaded an android utility called shs3 easy ums which forces the phone into usb mode . Getting it into usb mode is a bit hit and miss but once it is all of my sync issues have gone . Like to hear how this works for you.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:05:07 pm »

If you are syncing that's often and don't mind spending a couple of dollars I would highly recommend the foldersync.  I had an S2 and recently moved to an S3. I sync from JRiver to a separate directory that is in my box.net drive (you can use any of the cloud sync apps like Dropbox, Google Drive etc) and then use an app called FolderSync to sync from the cloud to my phone (and my tablet). They are always both in sync and I never have to plug either device into my HTPC. FolderSync has lots of configuration options for what and how often to sync.
I am quite pleased with this setup.

Louis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • It only looks like an optical illusion
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:57:33 pm »

Posted by: WinoOutWest...I sync from JRiver to a separate directory that is in my box.net drive (you can use any of the cloud sync apps like Dropbox, Google Drive etc) and then use an app called FolderSync to sync from the cloud to my phone (and my tablet).

I tried this work around, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me because MC 19 doesn't support unicode (Asian music) in playlists when syncing Handhelds to a folder, otherwise this method works well as a fix to all the Android sync woes. Thanks for the tip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up