INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Hangs on Update Install  (Read 1693 times)

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
MC Hangs on Update Install
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:52:59 am »

For awhile now (since MC17), installing automatically downloaded updates from MC will cause MC to hang instead of exiting cleanly.  I have to kill the MC process, at which point the update will automatically start.  However, now the installer will get hung up on JRTools.exe being in use.  This clears up when I manually kill JRService.exe and the install will then complete.  I have tried manually exiting from the Media Server prior to clicking Install Update with the same result.  How do I diagnose and correct whatever is causing this?  BTW- This behavior survived a complete uninstall of MC and new library.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Hangs on Update Install
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:03:29 am »

The topic called "Stability" in the wiki would be a good place to start.  It's probably going to turn out to be some "security" program.  Disconnect any USB drives or devices you can.  Simplify as much as possible.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:54:52 am »

I've already spent a lot of time on this problem and I don't think this is security software-related.  All I have is MS Security Essentials and it doesn't tend to cause problems like this.  I have disabled it and the firewall in my past attempts to diagnose this in the past year or so of it occurring in any case.  I don't have any plug-ins and am using a stock theme.  Running the standalone installer while MC is already running and telling it to close MC does work, so not sure what the difference could be.

I don't have an unlimited time to spend with all the possible permutations of what could be going wrong, especially since this type of problem seems completely unique to MC on this system.  This is compounded because it's not like I can repeatedly trigger an auto update while I try different things (unless there is a commandline switch that will force a redownload of the latest package?)  I've given some pretty specific information about what files are hanging and what allows the update process to progress, so I'm hoping someone will have a pretty good idea of what could prevent MC from shutting down it's own components such as JRService.exe.  If not, I will just have to add it to the growing list of problems I experience with MC that are seemingly unsolvable.

I can add one more piece of information to this- After exiting MC and manually closing Media Server from the system tray, the Media Center 18.exe process still appears in Task Manager and is currently using 25% of CPU.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 11:48:43 am »

This thread is a source for ideas.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

It's three pages long.

Think about what changes you may have made that could be related.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:57:31 am »

...  I don't think this is security software-related.  All I have is MS Security Essentials and it doesn't tend to cause problems like this. 
There are several references to MSE on the second page of the Weird Problems thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.50

I'm not saying that's what is causing the problems.  I'm only saying that you can't rule it out. 

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:20:04 pm »

Although some of those posts reference very old versions of MSE and/or MC, I have added the three core MC processes to the MSE exclusions list.  I guess I will now await the next auto-update of MC.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:52:40 pm »

I have added the three core MC processes to the MSE exclusions list.  I guess I will now await the next auto-update of MC.
A new update came down today and, even with the exclusions and, even turning MSE off, MC still hangs until I manually kill the process.  I noticed today another process after clicking install update "MC18.exe"  "MC18.exe" does not appear in normal running of MC so I'm guessing it's what's launched by clicking "Install Update".  Killing "MC18.exe" had no effect on the hang of Media Center 18.exe though.

I actually figured out how to simulate updates at will and messed with a bunch of permutations.  I get all sorts of different results from going through the steps manually, but it seems like launching the installer too soon after exiting MC will hang MC, but waiting 10 seconds to launch it won't, so maybe the installer update process isn't waiting for MC to exit fully before touching shared files.

I'm running out of ideas for tracking this down any further. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 01:58:20 pm »

Try a full uninstall (don't remove Library files or Settings).
Reboot.
Reinstall. Using the latest build from the top of this board.

This is not normal.  I use the auto-update regularly on a wide variety of machines, and it works fine.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:37:03 am »

Guess it's worth another try.  Will do and wait for next update.
Pages: [1]   Go Up