Poll

Where to look to resolve video playback problems - Red Oct settings don't help

Is it jriver
- 0 (0%)
Is it the operating system
- 1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large video files and blue ray disks run slow and choppy  (Read 2461 times)

cdennen

Large video files and blue ray disks run slow and choppy
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:10:47 pm »

Large (more then 2 GB) MP4 and other video files run slow and choppy and so do blue ray disks. However, I can play them on the same computer with windows media player or quicktime without problems. Also the same files run fine with jriver 17 on another pc - which is 5 times slower than on my media server. So there is something wrong with jriver 17 (latest version) on my media server which is running windows 7 on a third gen i5 processor with 8G of ram.

This problem seems to effect all blue ray files both on the original disks and on rips to files 3GB+ in size.

I just reinstalled jriver over the top of my existing install without any improvement.

I've tired switching back and forth between Red October standard and HQ with no effect.

The computer originally came with Cyberlink PowerDVD installed for blueray palyback. It worked fine with no problems, but I had to uninstall it when it started claiming playback rights for all media types and overriding jriver. Could there be residual files interfering with jriver? I did a total uninstall.

Any suggestions about where I might look to resolve this issue?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Large video files and blue ray disks run slow and choppy
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:26:12 pm »

Couple of Q and Suggestions:
- What GPU do you run in this PC
- Is the media stored locally or over a network
- Have you tried toggling Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings --> Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible on both RO Std and ROHQ
JRiver CEO Elect

cdennen

Re: Large video files and blue ray disks run slow and choppy
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:07:49 pm »

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm using the built in graphics processor on the i5 third gen chip. With other software it plays all the blue ray and standard video files with no problems.

The media files are stored on a 3TB internal drive. But again, these files paly fine with other software, just not jriver.

I have tried toggling between all the options in the Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings without seeing any performance changes.

All the other functions of jriver work great, including playing smaller video files.

Pages: [1]   Go Up