INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Local Support - Louisville, KY  (Read 2473 times)

drhogan

• Recent member
Local Support - Louisville, KY
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:34 pm »

OK - I give up.  I really appreciate MC  - when it is working.  And I need to make sure that my issues aren't self inflected.  I am looking for someone in the local area (Louisville, KY) that can troubleshoot some problems.  Basic functionality on the machine on which my library is located is fine but the issues come when trying to open this library on another machine on the local network.
If you are in this area please contact me at (and this is my throwaway address) eraseme@insightbb.com
I have a house full this weekend - I need help!!
Thanks
David
David Hogan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Local Support - Louisville, KY
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »

It sounds like you're using MC's Library Server to play music on another PC.  Make sure both sides are the same full version.

What is the problem you're having?

drhogan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:39:03 am »

Both are the same version and build. 
One issue is just very annoying.  Following a reboot of the remote PC,  ""C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 18\Media Center 18.exe" results in a re-installation.  The .exe will open the program thereafter - until the PC is rebooted again! 

The current main issue is adding/accessing the library on the main PC.  After entering the access key, MC thinks for a moment - then crashes with the generic message "Media center 18 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  A log file has been generated . . . "
David Hogan

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:54:06 am »

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:46:23 pm »

Both are the same version and build. 
One issue is just very annoying.  Following a reboot of the remote PC,  ""C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 18\Media Center 18.exe" results in a re-installation.  The .exe will open the program thereafter - until the PC is rebooted again! 
What you experience here might be the automatic update system perhaps? You can disable that under the Help menu. I've never hear of MC installing and restarting in other cases..

The current main issue is adding/accessing the library on the main PC.  After entering the access key, MC thinks for a moment - then crashes with the generic message "Media center 18 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  A log file has been generated . . . "
The log file mentioned....Providing the file here might give some clues as to why it crashes or restarts.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:52:52 pm »

What you experience here might be the automatic update system perhaps? You can disable that under the Help menu. I've never hear of MC installing and restarting in other cases..
The log file mentioned....Providing the file here might give some clues as to why it crashes or restarts.

There was a brief problem with build 72 for some of us - perhaps that was it?

drhogan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 05:24:55 pm »

Installed 18.0.74 on both PCs.  Same issue.  MC crashed while trying to access remote library. I probably misspoke when mentioning a log file as such.  Attached is the file that was generated upon the program crashing.
David Hogan

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »

That's an odd log file.  Did you try opening it? 

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 06:27:47 pm »

Attached is the file that was generated upon the program crashing.

I think this is a result of the local settings messing up the file. Please provide a file that has not been saved by or modified by anyone else than MC, and some might be able to read it better. It looks like there's just a bunch of Asian words in the file you provided. Did you open and save it by any chance?

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:28:47 pm »

The log looks like it contains many Asian characters (don't know which language). What language is your system running?

If you haven't yet resolved the issues, I suggest that you create a library (even a small one) on each machine, if one doesn't yet exist. If you experience crashes on either PC, you have a PC specific issue. If each individual library works fine, you have a different issue.

I'm a very basic MC user who runs library server. I used a fixed IP for each PC as I find it minimizes network issues in general. On my "server" PC (IP 192.168.111.3 for example), I enable Media server on Windows startup, leaving the library server port at the default 52199.

On the client PC (IP 192.168.111.10 for example), I select File-Library-Library Manager then Add Library. I name the library then click the mouse in the Radio Button for Library Server then enter 192.168.111.3:52199 and finally click OK.

If the server library correctly loads (it usually does but if not go to the server to ensure that Media Server is running in the system tray), it is now available for use.

Craig

drhogan

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 09:46:25 am »

The log looks like it contains many Asian characters (don't know which language). What language is your system running?

If you haven't yet resolved the issues, I suggest that you create a library (even a small one) on each machine, if one doesn't yet exist. If you experience crashes on either PC, you have a PC specific issue. If each individual library works fine, you have a different issue.

I'm a very basic MC user who runs library server. I used a fixed IP for each PC as I find it minimizes network issues in general. On my "server" PC (IP 192.168.111.3 for example), I enable Media server on Windows startup, leaving the library server port at the default 52199.

On the client PC (IP 192.168.111.10 for example), I select File-Library-Library Manager then Add Library. I name the library then click the mouse in the Radio Button for Library Server then enter 192.168.111.3:52199 and finally click OK.

If the server library correctly loads (it usually does but if not go to the server to ensure that Media Server is running in the system tray), it is now available for use.

Craig

I am attaching it again.  When I open the file locally everything is in English.  I am also attaching a screen shot of the error.
As to IP addresses, both are static.
Libraries have been set up on both boxes.  Currently the library on the remote PC is empty but it functions.
Also - just tested the connection on a 2nd remote (laptop in garage).  Same issue. 
As both PCs worked fine as remotes until the last week this seems to indicate that there is some setting I have recently changed/invoked on my main PC.
David Hogan

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 09:50:00 am »

You are doing something with the file. It's still a lot of unknown characters. It's not supposed to have a name like that if you just attach the file that MC have created.

This is what it should look like:
JRiver Log 2012-11-03 19-31-46.zip
Log.txt
Previous Crash.dmp
Previous Log.txt
System Info.txt

The zip file would be most useful.

drhogan

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 10:12:58 am »

Here is the file in pdf format.  If this comes across with off characters perhaps I have another issue larger than Media Center.
Where would I look for the JRiver zip file?
David Hogan

drhogan

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:42 am »

$%@#$%!!
Our first computer was a Wangwriter.  I programmed in dBase.  I still have my first portable computer in a closet (all 23 pounds).  Apparently I haven't yet learned to be suspect of MS's attempts to help and protect.
Somehow Windows Firewall was blocking access by Media Center.  While I don't know why this would cause a crash with no indications of an access issue, Problem solved - the music flows.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
David Hogan

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 10:49:47 am »

Glad you got it sorted out. It's always the last thing/place you think to look.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 02:03:24 pm »

Those log files he uploaded are application crash logs from Windows XP compatibility mode, they are actually XML format. I have no idea what that chinese is doing in between. It translates to rubbish but it also doesn't fit in the format of the file.

The first line of chinese should read <DATABASE> and the other lines of chinese make no sense at all. If it even is chinese because google translate can't make up its mind on it, sometimes it says japanese and google searches on some of th phrases end up on taiwanese sites :).

Yes, Im bored, waiting for my son to sleep so I can start watching some series :P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up