INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get subtitles information from a nfo file?  (Read 17904 times)

FVL

How to get subtitles information from a nfo file?
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:44:05 am »

Hello,
 Sorry if the subject has been discussed somewhere, I couldn't find it.
This is my concern. I would like to show the information of existing subtitles for a movie (as a thumbnail text, ie. eng, fre, ger).
As it is quite impossible to get the info from the movie file, I have it written in each nfo file.
I am wondering of how to get it automatically read from the nfo and written in a MC dedicated field. Are there possibilities with the fields editor, using functions?...
Thanks if you can help
Thanks if you just read the msg until here ;)
 ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to get subtitles information from a nfo file?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:15:06 am »

Welcome to the forum.  I don't know the answer, but try this wiki topic:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Subtitles

FVL

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:42:38 am »

Thanks but the Wiki is about using subtitles when watching a movie.
I am trying to show the information of the available subtitles for a movie and get this information automatically from the movie file or a nfo file.
As far as I know MC, it can not read this directly from a movie file (unlike extreme movie manager). So my question is: would it be possible to read it from a nfo?

At the end using the thumbnails text would be perfect, I just need to have the information stored in a field.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:05:01 pm »

If you don't have too many movies and are open to open to some possible workarounds, let's see what we can come up with...

[note: I don't represent JRiver]
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: How to get subtitles information from a nfo file?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 02:07:06 pm »

can you write a script to copy the information from the no file to the jriver sidecar file. the subtitle information would be put in a new field of your making. 
not a pretty solution and one requiring maintenance.
is it possible for your program to export in a custom format that you could set up to suite jriver sidecars.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:23:09 pm »

Is nfo a standard sidecar format?  Could you post an example?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:30:00 am »

A few things.

There is no such thing as a standardized nfo sidecar file format. I don't know how much different each implementation is, I just want to throw this out there as a word of caution. Different programs use their own implementation with varying structures and different tags.
Downloaded and/or pirated shows and movies often contain an nfo file with info about the release, these have nothing to do with Media center sidecar files but they are often left in the same folder as  the movie. This is what I'm talking about.
By default nfo is the extention for System Information. Just saying in case you want to associate MC with nfo files.
Here is a bit of information about nfo as sidecars, as used by other Media Center applications like XBMC and JAMJ Movie Jukebox.

FVL

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:09:54 am »

I am (was) using eXtreme Movie Manager, which can provide a complete custom nfo or xml file with the information one may need to use in an other application.
MC can also create nfo or xml but can it read one?

the nfo could be as follow
<movie>
        <title>Love & Secrets</title>
        <originaltitle>All Good Things</originaltitle>
   <subtitles>French</subtitles>
        <year>2011</year>
</movie>

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »

Is nfo a standard sidecar format?  Could you post an example?

It appears to me that it would be good to support one or two of the more common conventions as I remember this being a bit of barrier to entry when I first tried to get previously scraped information into MC.  I would presume that XBMC nfo format is a good place to start as I remember it being something that other scrapers often wrote to...  http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Import-export_library

Craig

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 07:02:04 pm »

This thread seems connected. Of course there's no standard format for "sidecar" (metadata) files, but I'd say XBMCs implementation is both the de facto standard and very usable. To be frank, it's a mystery to me why MC is ignoring this rather easily tapped source of metadata.

Oh, and: information about audio streams and subtitles could be read directly from the movie file in the case of mkv and (I think) mp4/m4v.
Pages: [1]   Go Up