INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pops/clicks using WASAPI event style [Solved]  (Read 3529 times)

Tbone289

• Recent member
Pops/clicks using WASAPI event style [Solved]
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:53:45 am »

I am experiencing frequent pops/clicks on audio playback.

SETUP:

Win Vista 64 bit.  HRT Music Streamer II DAC.  WASAPI event-style output.  All DAC settings are set according to the JRiver DAC settings in the Wiki.

I have also tried all the suggestions outlined here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67779.0 including all buffering options.  None of these suggestions has resolved the issue.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Terry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pops/clicks using WASAPI event style
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:00:45 am »

Tbone289

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 11:15:39 am »

Yes.  Please note in my first post, "All DAC settings are set according to the JRiver DAC settings in the Wiki."

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:35:12 am »

If you experience playback glitches even with a lot of buffering in Media Center, it means the problem is happening at a lower level (driver or hardware).

I would try different USB ports or adding/removing a hub.

I recently had a problem like this with a USB DAC after installing Windows 8.  The same hardware had worked fine forever, but I started getting ticks after the upgrade.  In my case, turning on my USB 3 controller and putting the DAC on it solved the problem.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Tbone289

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:47:19 am »

I have tried direct connection to a computer USB port and through an external, self-powered hub.  No change.  I will try all other ports on the computer.

Why would I not have the same result in other media players with WASAPI output if this were a driver or hardware issue?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:54:03 am »

Why would I not have the same result in other media players with WASAPI output if this were a driver or hardware issue?

You wouldn't.

It's possible the device just doesn't work well with WASAPI - Event Style (which other players probably don't have).  But normally this is the most reliable output mode.

Since it's tanking on pause with regular WASAPI, it really points to a hardware problem.  Is there any chance there's a newer driver?

Sorry to not have a more absolute answer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Tbone289

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 12:03:06 pm »

The HRT uses a native Windows USB audio driver.  So, unfortunately no, I'm not aware of another driver that will work.

I have another media player that has the WASAPI - Event Style option.  I will try that to see if I get the same result.

Thanks again.

Terry

Tbone289

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:32:24 am »

Well, after many hours of troubleshooting and countless attempts at a solution, I believe I've finally found the root of the issues I was having with event-style WASAPI playback.  My DAC was positioned very close to the tube amp I'm using--nearly touching it.  I relocated it several inches away, and the pops and clicks appear to be gone.  My guess is that the magnetic fields around the power or output transformers of the amp were interfering with the digital stream into the DAC.

::)

HipVinyl

Re: Pops/clicks using WASAPI event style [Solved]
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 06:01:46 pm »

Very interesting.  Were you getting the same noise with WASAPI or other output modes?

I am having similar issues with WASAPI-event mode.  Works flawlessly in other output modes (i.e. WASAPI) and I have a tube preamp. 

Tbone289

• Recent member
Re: Pops/clicks using WASAPI event style [Solved]
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 08:00:32 pm »

The only audio flaws I experience now are with heavy use of an internet browser.  These are related to mouse interrupts, typically.  If I just sit back and listen, there are no issues at all.

When I was experiencing the issue I only tried both WASAPI modes (push and event-style) and had problems with both.
Pages: [1]   Go Up