INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC 18 sync with Zune - Do people still do that sort of thing?  (Read 3726 times)

Psyffer23

• World Citizen

My beloved Creative Zen Vision is dying.  I use it as my car radio basically and since they don't make them anymore, I was looking at the ZUNE120.  I would REALLY like the large amount of space on it but, I wonder if it is compatible with MC.  Specifically, I need it to sync M3U playlists.  If it can't do this, it is virtually worthless to me.  I sync playlists to my Zen and use them like different radio stations with specially designed formats (Southern Rock, Post Punk, Psych-Funk, whatever).  Anyway, I am currently using MC16 but, would gladly upgrade to the latest vers if it can do this on a Zune.  Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a better alternative, I would really appreciate it.  The bigger hard drive the better.  Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can MC 18 sync with Zune - Do people still do that sort of thing?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:11:14 pm »

No.  The Zune's lockdown is equal to (or maybe even a smidge worse than) Apple's.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »

Well, crap.  Thanks for the response Glynor.  Does anyone out there have any other suggestions for large harddrive MP3 players that sync with MC?

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:19:09 am »

Considering JRiver is considered "audiophile quality," have you looked into the Cowon devices? They supposedly have the best sound imaginable from a portable device. When my Zune completely dies, that's where I'm going.

In terms of how I use JRiver, I rip everything using JRiver and have the Zune software strictly for synching my data.

And my Zune is roughly 4 years old now and the years are finally taking their toll. Still using the original battery, even if it only holds a charge 1/2 as long as it did originally. Kind of impressive from that respect.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »

Thanks, for the response slerch.  I'm looking at the Cowon X7 (120G).  It looks promising but,the question remains: will I be able to sync M3U playlists?  And, the Cowon (if/when it is available) is about half the price of the Zune.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:30:14 pm »

Thanks, for the response slerch.  I'm looking at the Cowon X7 (120G).  It looks promising but,the question remains: will I be able to sync M3U playlists?  And, the Cowon (if/when it is available) is about half the price of the Zune.
Crap.

I just did a Google search for this. It seems the X7 is a PAIN to try and sync M3Us to. It doesn't matter what software you use, it's a pain.

Sorry, I just know Cowon is seen as sound quality god - just didn't realize it doesn't allow standard sync functionality.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 02:24:21 pm »

Well, hell, there doesn't really seem to be a solution for this.  I guess I am going to have to go back to burning MP3 Cd's all the time.  How quaint.  How clunky.  What I would really love is some sort of portable MC. A JRiver boombox, say, with built in speakers and the entire user interface and ALL my data on it.  I use a laptop with an external hard drive when I go on vacation but, this does not really work in the car and can't be carried with one hand.  Or, even better, a Tablet with MC on it and an audio out to plug into my car stereo or some travel speakers.  Yeah, that would be great!  Unfortunately this would need to have a minumum of a terabyte hard drive, so...  Well maybe someday.  (Still, dammit, a simple 120g ZEN or similar device is exactly what I want and does not seem to exist!)

For a minute there I thought Gizmo on my smart phone might be the answer but, that will not play any of my playlists (too big?) and has proved really un-useful.  Does this work better with MC18?  Also, the streaming solution doesn't really work in a moving vehicle and for long trips especially.  Plus, the data minutes would be prohibitive.

Anybody else have car solutions to the music problem?  A hand held, pocketable solution?  For a LARGE amount of data?

Sorry, I rambled on so but, this has been something I've wanted for a while.

Thanks.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 03:22:23 pm »

Seems like a small CarPC or laptop would be ideal for you. You can probably use an iPad as a touch screen monitor using splashtop. All you need is a power inverter.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:17:08 pm »

I wouldn't rule out a player or phone that takes micro SD cards.  You can get at least 64GB cards now and they're about $1/GB.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/wireless/3015433011/ref=sr_1_1_acs_z_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354752895&sr=8-1-acs

The Samsung Galaxy Note II is a great media player.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 01:55:37 am »

Anybody else have car solutions to the music problem?  A hand held, pocketable solution?  For a LARGE amount of data?

I use a combination of a complex, ever-changing sync to my iPhone (which has 64GB of storage), and JRemote.

JRemote has my entire library.  It streams and it works perfectly.  I will admit that since I started using it a lot, I've had to bump up my data allotment from the phone company.  Darn tiered plans.  It doesn't work when I drive out of range, but it handles file switching and whatnot extremely well if I have decent signal.  I do for my daily commute so that isn't a huge issue.

And for those times when I'm out of range, or just everyday "give me something to listen to", I have a nice set of rotating music (generated from a variety of smartlists and Play Doctor lists) that get synced to my iPhone.

In fact, if I could get the stupid WiFi syncing to work right reliably, it would auto-sync every night while I sleep.  But, unfortunately, Apple's WiFi syncing (on Windows at least, or maybe just non-Apple routers) seems flaky as heck.

You could almost certainly set up the same kind of thing with an Android device.  And, as Jim pointed out, some of them take SD cards (though fewer and fewer anymore, as it seems supporting them is challenging).

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 02:48:00 am »

I use a 160gb IPOD Classic and it's always worked fine.
I don't know anything about playlist formats but, if they work in MC it should sync to the Classic.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:36 pm »

My problem is I hate IPODs but, they seem to be the only game in town as far as a simple pocketable solution.  (Also, I don't have a smartphone!!)  Everyone else seems to have seeded the market to Apple.  But, I was never sure if they work with JRiver well.  Can you sync playlists to IPODs with MC or do you have to go through iTunes?  Still, I probably won't cross the iLine...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 12:46:05 pm »

My problem is I hate IPODs but, they seem to be the only game in town as far as a simple pocketable solution.

There are a couple of other options, but here's one that might work well for you:

The AT&T version of the LG Optimus G includes a microSD card slot, and you can expand it up to 64GB of storage.  Sure, it is a phone, but if you buy it off-contract, then you don't have to pay a monthly bill.  The LG Optimus G is essentially the LG-branded Nexus 4, with the option for the SD card slot.

It isn't cheap, by any means, but you could get one off contract with a 64GB SD card for less than $700.

Of course, the 64GB iPad Mini is $529 (or $659 if you want the option for mobile data), so...

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 01:04:03 pm »

Sansa Clip + 64gb Micro SD card...very affordable, works great.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 01:18:49 pm »

Sansa Clip + 64gb Micro SD card...very affordable, works great.

Before we switched to iPhones, my wife and I both had Sansa MP3 players (she lost hers in an airplane, prompting the switch).  They pre-dated the Clip models, but they were very nice and worked great with MC.

She loved hers.  I didn't use mine much, but it was nice.  I don't have "room" in my life for single-function devices like those much anymore, but if you are looking for a simple music player device, and nothing else, I'd agree with the generalized Sansa rec.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 02:12:17 pm »

The Sansa look interesting and much closer to my budget.  And, it does sync playlists?

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 01:29:05 am »

I know your not crazy about Apple but, the Classic syncs music and palylists and holds 160gb for about $220.
I don't own any other Apple products but the Classic works great for the car.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 08:23:01 am »

Well, I might just have to consider Apple.  160G sounds pretty tempting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up