INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [18.0.78] Subtitle rendering in anime BD rips  (Read 1887 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
[18.0.78] Subtitle rendering in anime BD rips
« on: December 08, 2012, 01:26:17 am »

Okay, so I just got done using DVDFab to rip all of my anime DVD's and BD's (using DVDFab's Main Movie feature, which allowed me to rip each episode and film track as its own BDMV folder structure, complete with M2TS stream and index file). For BD's, the subtitles are, naturally, in PGS format.

While MC has gotten quite a bit better about this than it was when I first brought this up, it's still awkward in that the actual rendering gets really chaotic when multiple lines appear at multiple times, occasionally causing dialogue lines to disappear prematurely. Lines are also appearing at awkward places throughout the video under these conditions.

What I need to know is how to tweak the settings in order to get this to work properly. If MC's RO HQ doesn't have any solutions, I would be willing to try external DirectShow filters and what have you.

I am using a custom RO HQ-based configuration, where the only change is that I have specified that the AVC1 codec be rendered via CoreAVC instead (this codec, as you are likely aware, making up most BD releases). Otherwise, everything is at the default.

I have downloaded DirectVobSub v2.41.6205 x86, but I'm not sure how to get MC to favour it, whether or not it actually works with PGS subs, or even whether or not it is the only piece in the puzzle.

Any help is much appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: [18.0.78] Subtitle rendering in anime BD rips
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:23:33 am »

Try RO Std.  Try toggling hardware acceleration off under tools/options/video.

Goatshade

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:01:41 pm »

Did so. Doesn't work.

Goatshade

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:46:51 pm »

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I've managed to get it working more or less properly with the K-Lite Basic Codec Pack. All subs are timed correctly. The downside is that, since I seem to be foregoing the JRiver subtitle engine, I no longer have the size and shift features that I once had.

That being said, for the time being, i will stick to the K-Lite configuration, but if anyone has any steps to suggest in order to get RO and a combination of external codecs/filters/whatever to work together in order to achieve the best of both worlds (even better with a guide on how to install K-Lite for this purpoise--it's customiseable, so I really only want the parts of it that are necessary and I am certain that I am not in need of the whole pack), I would very much appreciate that. I'll understand, however, if it it's just not possible or too complicated. I have searched elsewhere, but there really isn't any up-to-date documentation on how to do this with MC, and I don't know anything about encoding, else I'd be on it myself.

EDIT 2: Went back to MC's RO HQ because the audio quality is superior. K-Lite makes it sound filtered for some reason.

Guess I'm back at square one. :(

Goatshade

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 01:28:19 am »

I suppose, given all of the tinkering I've done, I'll conclude and report that there are still some issues with the internal subtitle renderer, this time, not with ASS/SSA subs, but PGS (blu-ray). However, the problems are basically the same: it gets confused when dealing with multiple lines at the same time, particularly when there are sign translations and dialogue going on at once, resulting in premature line termination for both, as well as placement errors. A Windows Merit-based configuration using the K-Lite Basic Codec Pack with the "Use LAV for everything" option chosen remedies this issue, but introduces lesser-quality audio output and does not allow for MC's subtitle size/shifting options

Requesting a fix for later versions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up