INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Person of the Year -- Nominations [now closed]  (Read 10911 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
JRiver Person of the Year -- Nominations [now closed]
« on: December 16, 2012, 06:32:43 pm »

[Edit -- the poll is now open]

There are a lot of wonderful minds here.  So many have given so much for so many.

We'd like to offer a small gift to someone you think has been extraordinarily kind to their fellow person on the forum.  Think "Box of Omaha Steaks", but it might be something else.

Please nominate anyone you want to recognize.  In a day or two, I'll take the top five or so and start a poll where everyone can vote.

No JRiver employees are eligible.  We're all vegetarians.

gappie

Re: JRiver Person of the Year -- Nominations Open
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 06:42:44 pm »

i have a hard time to choose between marko, MrC and glynor. they know a lot and are kind.. but i nominate marko because he is also english. its colour above color. and i dont like the red line under colour to tell me i spelled it wrong :)

:)
gab

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:44:54 pm »

I'll jump in and nominate glynor!

His knowledge and kind whit always make a subject more accessible for me!
I could list more helpful souls... There are many, but...

We are talking Steaks here!

Rick

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:47:26 pm »

Marko is a Scot.  I think he lives in Edinborough.  I wish I could hear his accent when he writes.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:51:31 pm »

Marko is a Scot.  I think he lives in Edinborough.  I wish I could hear his accent when he writes.
:) hehe. that is true. and who knows all the extra letters they use. still i nominate him.. the best whiskey comes from there.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 06:58:06 pm »

Great idea!  Choice of steaks or scotch samples

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »

Glynor and rick get my votes
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Ekpen

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:09:00 pm »

Glynor gets my vote.

Ekpen.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:29:26 pm »

There are so many people that deserve a "thank you."  The kindness and intelligence of this place is remarkable.

In many ways, Interact is the brains behind JRiver.  We get guidance from an amazing array of smart people -- we just need to be willing to write the code.

So thanks to everyone that helps.  We couldn't do it without you.

( p.s. And just so no one is disappointed, "box of steaks" really means "old JRiver t-shirt" :P )
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:48 pm »

Marco or glynor

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:48:46 pm »

glynor or jmone. Glynor is incredibly helpful to users of all levels. jmone has done more than anyone outside of the team to improve MC for video. Both these guys have a seemingly infinite dedication to the product and its users.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 12:10:20 am »

If I had to choose one ...

MrC has had some very thorough and really helpful posts this year that help unlock the power within.  The solutions are great but the explanations that went along with them were beyond the call.

For anyone that has bashed their head against an RE, MrC is a hero.

I also think that there should be a subcategory for really nice addins and skins.  Although the forum time is low, these users make a really valuable contribution, e.g. the subtitle plugin is very simple but effective abd has removed one of those annoying tasks.

Thanks to all of the regular posters mentioned above, it is great to read your posts and you all deserve a bottle of scotch.

Craig

PS: I thought I would also make a quiet mention of rick.ca, who hasn't posted for a while (seem to be seldom posts after that string of nasty threads a while ago).  Although without the best bedside manner :), his posts were/are always logical and really help solve problems and help you think about what you are asking.

rjm

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 12:15:01 am »

So many nice people and great contributors here...

I recall one person took on a significant project to port my photo meta data from another app into MC. I could not have done it without him and am very grateful. Unfortunately I can't nominate him because he prefers to remain anonymous.

Many other people also deserve recognition. Because each contributes in a different way I am reluctant to publicly single out one person. Most of the top contributors have already been mentioned above.

I will vote provided that you keep who voted for whom confidential, and provided you keep the vote tally for each candidate confidential.  If the process is open I fear more damage than good may result and I will thus abstain from voting and simply offer my sincere thanks to all now.

And Jim, although we can't nominate employees, you really really should do something to acknowledge Matt's work. At a minimum, his family needs to know that we think he is amazing.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 12:15:46 am »

...extraordinarily kind to their fellow person on the forum
it seems like a Glynorslide on this one for the general community.  More patience than you can poke a stick at.  That said, I'd also plug for the active Beta Team members in general.  Each one seems to have a deep experience in one particular area and are willing to help out and almost instantly. ... now if can ever master that search string stuff!

....We get guidance from an amazing array of smart people -- we just need to be willing to write the code.  So thanks to everyone that helps.  We couldn't do it without you...
On this one I'd nominate Nevcairiel and then madshi for their collaboration with JR on code development.  These guys have spent an enormous amount of time to develop their direct show filters we now rely on for Red October (any one remember the first FFDSHOW based one?) and JR have been smart enough to leverage this by working with them.  These changes are the cornerstone behind the period that saw MC's Video handling come in leaps and bounds (we then got VideoClock, Refresh rate handling) in such a short time... with the big benefit being it was also accessable to all users not just DirectShow Heads.  I'd especially give a plug to Nevcairiel as the impact of his splitter and decoders is fundamental to RO universality and ease of use.
JRiver CEO Elect

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 01:26:06 am »

Thank you for my votes of confidence.

2013 will be my 10 year MC anniversary. How time flies, and how well that time has been spent bringing MCv9.0 from what it was back then to what we have today. Fantastic work.

My nomination has to be glynor, but don't let that detract from anyone else, MrC, jmone, xplain with his wonderful Theater View skins...

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 04:06:34 am »

I nominate jmone. His insight into the video parts of MC really has provided us all with a wonderful Media player. I always read his posts with interest.

TLS

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 08:07:25 am »

It's a tough one, as there are more kind, knowledgeable and helpful people here than most forums, and people that are not named in this thread should really not feel wronged, we do appreciate you a lot !
I will mention two, and leave final decision to the ballot counter : Glynor and MrC

locust

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 08:30:02 am »

even though I'm a fellow Scot.. Sorry Marko, my vote goes to MrC just for his blindingly fast responses for everyone who needs help with their expressions..

I try to help sometimes when & where I can, one time I decided to help someone with expression problems, it was too late about 20 seconds after the original post MrC posted the solution... It's beyond me how somebody can be so good at expressions..

One day I'll get around to Regex but that day is nowhere near

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 01:30:13 pm »

Well, thank you everyone for the kind words.

For myself, I'd have an impossible time voting for just one person.  So many people here (over the years) have made this such a welcoming and fun place that I keep coming back....  About the most narrow list I could come up with would be:  Alex B, marko, MrC, jmone, Mr ChriZ, and rick.ca (yes, I'd vote for rick too).  Each of those people has directly contributed (often repeatedly) to my ability to accomplish goals with MC, and have just generally brightened my days.

But then, there are others as well, who provide enormous benefits to us all, often without being as "vocal" or "directly helpful" on the forums.  I'm thinking people like nevcairiel, SamuriHL, gvanbrunt, prod, Lespaul, and madshi, who have done so much work to make MC the powerful tool that it is today and to make sure other people out there know it (often without much in the way of direct thanks or accolades).

I've said it before, but... This place you have here, Jim, is pretty darn amazing.

PS.  Forced to choose with a gun to my head, I guess I'd have to pick Nathan.  He makes me laugh, and taught me about "chooks", among many, many other things.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 05:38:46 pm »

I nominate glynor and jmone for the final vote. Even if I'm not that interested in the subject, I read their posts just for the literary value and general entertainment. I like jmone's persistence in pushing for new features and glynor's thoroughness. Both also do a great job of balancing helping users vs helping JRiver in the beta forum.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 05:44:03 pm »

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 06:42:56 pm »

It would be impossible for me to name just one. There are so many incredibly helpful people on this forum. In alphabetical order because I don't want priorities: glynor, jmone, Marko, MrC, mojave, Rick.ca. Big apologies to those not included as there are many others that deserve to be here. In fact I really didn't want to single out just a few.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 06:50:29 pm »

... there are many others that deserve to be here. In fact I really didn't want to single out just a few.
But they are the heavy lifters.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 07:53:40 pm »

Hard to pick one, but I'd go with glynor if that is the limit. If I can add a couple more I would add marko & MrC. The good news, is if I could add even a couple more, I could do it a couple more times. There are some great contributors here.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 06:35:37 am »

You can't just pick one name from this thread and and have a winner.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:14 am »

OK.  These are the nominees, in alphabetical order.

Alex B, glynor, jmone, marko, mojave, MrC, Mr ChriZ, rick.ca.

I've left out others who have contributed plug-ins or other development, since I think that deserves a separate discussion and prize, which we'll do soon.

Closing this now.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: JRiver Person of the Year -- Nominations [now closed]
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 12:00:43 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up