INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Media Center Remote keys stop working playing movies  (Read 2378 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Some Media Center Remote keys stop working playing movies
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:29:11 am »

In MC17 it worked perfectly out of the box

After installing MC18 it works when starting a movie, but STOP and PLAY/PAUSE stops working when the movie plays. All other keys work fine, as I couldn't find another key which doesn't work. I first thought it might be my computer (Win 7, 8 CPUs, 32GB memory, all latest technology) but it's obvious that it has to be the program. I reinstalled MC17 and there it worked perfectly again. But I would like to use MC18, as I have bought it and there are some advantages I want to use

Has someone an idea what to do?

Do I have to learn the JRiver Media Center Remote Control commands in MC18??? Would be strange, as you advertise it as "working out of the box"

Please advise, it's quite annoying!

thanks

globetrotters1

Re: Some Media Center Remote keys stop working playing movies
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 03:04:38 pm »

would someone please be so kind and look into this...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »

There is another thread here on this topic.  We have not seen the problem.

globetrotters1

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 02:57:06 pm »

Jim, the remote works perfectly BEFORE starting the movie. The keys which handle PLAY/PAUSE, STOP, FORW, BACK, NEXT are ceasing to work as soon as the movie runs. It is annoying because our server is far away and if someone calls we cannot pause the movie

In MC17, I tested it, it works perfectly, same machine, same software, just installed MC17 side by side with MC18

In MC18 it is a SERIOUS bug, especially because it happens with the remote control YOU SELL !!!

My wife gets every time angrier and angrier, please understand that I have to bug you - I suppose you shortened the time frame to catch these remote control command events or something like that - it is like this since our first install of MC18. We use the latest technology computer, in MC18 we use the same settings as in MC17. I have no idea where to look or what to change or test. It happens with DVD movies (IFO) and MKV movies as well.

Weird but believe me, it is no joke !!!

I have to add: we switch to theater view and control it remotely with your remote control. We don't use a client tablet or something like this. Probably we are too old-fashioned for you, but please take it seriously

thanks

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 03:12:24 pm »

I have encountered this behaviour also today,tried to pause a movie half way through and got no response at all from my remote (standard WMC remote sensor & Logitech Harmony). I have never experienced this with MC17 and the only way to get MC18 to respond to the remote commands again was to kill the JRiver Media Server and start playback again.

globetrotters1

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »

Micromecca,
I'm happy that I'm not the bad boy, complaining about some strange thing which only happens to me. Killing the program is no choice at all for us. We have the media server in an own server room on another floor. I can go to the monitor there, type CTRL-1 and it responds, I can stop there without problems. But no one wants to run around in the house when someone calls and you cannot pause the movie to answer the call. It drives us mad, as small of a problem it is, but it has a big impact. My wife is furious in the meantime. I think we have to go back to MC17 until this has been resolved
too bad

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 05:38:19 pm »

I agree that it isn't very practial for you to do that, it actually just happened to me again when attempting to skip back something I'd missed  :-\ which was most annoying however, this problem has only just been reported and JRiver are currently on holiday and not keeping normal office hours. I'm sure that they will deal with it when they return  8)

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »

I have mentioned issues with the remote keypresses not being responded to with Live TV. They are worse in Theatre View but happen in Standard View as well. This all worked great in 17 and early 18... the last bunch of releases have been a fiasco for me.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 06:09:05 pm »

I too have seen this with MC18 running on Win 7 x64 in Theater View mode.

If I click my left mouse button anywhere on screen other than over a menu to return focus back then remote works again fine.

John

globetrotters1

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 10:47:38 am »

very nice, but if you only hold a remote control in your hands, there is no mouse available...

and normally I'm very patient, but it has been reported lots of releases before and nothing happened so far

I'm a bit disappointed that basic functions like this get corrupted all at once. We've been users since MC13 and we are now at MC18!!! It always worked fine, from MC18 on it's faulty. And the program doesn't lose focus obviously because a lot of other keys proceed to work fine!

And this is not something which just happens once in a while, furthermore it is just BASIC FUNCTIONALITY, not some weird special function!!!

That much to the "patience" topic!

I had to set our system back to MC17 - there it works and to be honest and straight-forward, I regret to have paid for the upgrade to MC18

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 11:01:46 am »

A dev has commented on this issue on one of the other threads regarding this issue, see HERE

globetrotters1

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 11:23:43 am »

Micromecca,
thanks for this hint

sorry to come up with it again:

the JRiver Media Center remote control stops responding to PLAY/PAUSE and STOP (and other keys) after a movie has been started (sometimes it works for some minutes and then ceases to work). I had one case where it responded in the middle of a movie, just ONCE (exciting...), afterwards I couldn't start the paused movie anymore...

in MC17 all that works just fine
thanks
from JohnT:
I've noticed this happening a few times and it appeared to be a focus issue.  Most of the remote buttons would stop working, then after clicking on the MC window with a mouse, the remote started working fully again.  We'll look at this next week.

Did you now look into this problem? Please remember, we CANNOT click with a mouse, we have none, just the remote! And the server is on another floor... sigh
I really want to use MC18... :)
thanks for a reply

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 12:02:58 pm »

Yes i get remote problems as well MC18 it works ok when starting a movie, but then random buttons stop working STOP and PLAY/PAUSE stops working when the movie plays.  MC 17 works fine!

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 10:16:25 pm »

Has any progress been made in identifying this major problem? it is becoming increasingly tiresome having to get up and click on the screen so that MC has focus and it will respond to remote commands again, I also now occasionally get a hover tip in the middle of my screen (Pause, Double Click to Stop) at the start of playback (since upgrade to 106 perhaps).
There has been no comment on this issue (that I am aware of) Since JohnT's post here and I sincerely hope this will be fixed in the next release.

globetrotters1

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 07:33:00 am »

Could we please have a serious answer to this SERIOUS problem!
And when it will be resolved...

thanks

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 07:41:36 am »

Which version of MC18 are you running?

At some point during xmas/new year this issue was acknowledged and fixed in a later version, if it is indeed the same issue you're experiencing updating to the latest version should fix this.

It had to do with focus. During playback, even though the movie is in the foreground, it lost focus and stopped responding to certain remote keys. You can check if this is the issue by clicking on the movie with the mouse, it restores focus and should restore remote functionality.

)p(

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:33 am »

Could we please have a serious answer to this SERIOUS problem!
And when it will be resolved...

thanks

Choosing wavout instead of direct sound fixed this for me.
Before I used a little autoit script that checked if mc is in the foreground and if not put it there. That also solved it for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up