INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to play simultaneously different audio signals to different zones  (Read 17835 times)

raumklang

• Recent member

hello,

i created two zones in media center, but i am not able to play simultaneously two different audio signals to the two different zones.

when i start playing audio on the second zone (together to the first zone) it shows together with the selected titel buffering on the title bar, but will not start.
(the audio on the first zone will play on in the meanwhile)

the setup is as follows:

netbook - soundcard with two stereo outputs - hardware mixer

BTW: it is possible to get the the two diff. audio signals to the mixer but not simultaneously.

EDIT:

some more set up details:

pc: asus eeepc 1001p netbook with xp sp3

soundcard: e-mu 0204 usb

media center settings:
output mode: asio
output mode settings (asio settings): channel offset:
0 for the first zone, and 2 for the second zone
volume device: automatically try to ...

player - volume: internal volume

hope someone can help

merry christmas to all

willy

raumklang

• Recent member
Re: how to play simultaneously different audio signals to different zones
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:14:10 am »

after searching the interact forum i did now activate: "allow multiple instances to run at one time" under tools - options - advanced.

but it is the same as before, - i can not play the two audio signals simultaneously.

i have a dj-gig on 28th of december and like to use media center with the described hardware.

so i am a little bit in a hurry to get it work.

i hope someone can help me out.

merry christmas

willy

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:33:19 am »

See the Zones topic on our wiki.

Your sound device may not support more than 2 channel.  Or it may not be addressable as multiple discrete 2 channel pairs.

You might be able to use the internal device for one zone and the external device for the second.

Windows Control Panel / Sounds has a test that might help.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:17:39 am »

When you use an ASIO driver it takes full control of the hardware and will only allow one stream to play to the hardware at a time - even if you have enough outputs. If you switch to Direct Sound output in JRiver, you should be able to do what you want. In the Output Mode Settings you can still select your channels if the 0204 works well with Windows Driver Model (WDM). With some of the pro audio devices, only the first two channels are available using Direct Sound.

raumklang

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:24:57 pm »

thank you for your quick advice and help.

See the Zones topic on our wiki.

i did already red the zones wiki.

Your sound device may not support more than 2 channel.  Or it may not be addressable as multiple discrete 2 channel pairs.

the e-mu 0204 sound device supports 2 inputs and 4 outputs all simultaneously and outputs completly independent in pairs adressable.

You might be able to use the internal device for one zone and the external device for the second.

maybe this would work but the internal device (netbook onboard soundcard) is of poor quality, - this is the reason i bought an external device.

Windows Control Panel / Sounds has a test that might help.

this test is only available in windows 7 not in xp

When you use an ASIO driver it takes full control of the hardware and will only allow one stream to play to the hardware at a time - even if you have enough outputs.

what hardware do you mean which is taken full control by the asio driver ? or do you mean media center will only allow one stream to play to the hardware at a time when using an asio driver ? - because the e-mu device supports 6 mono audio streams at the same time (2 inputs and 4 outputs), - i think this is the aim of such device to stream multiple audio streams at the same time

If you switch to Direct Sound output in JRiver, you should be able to do what you want.

i did try direct sound in a lot variations of output mode settings without success because i am not able to devide the two stereo outputs.

In the Output Mode Settings you can still select your channels if the 0204 works well with Windows Driver Model (WDM). With some of the pro audio devices, only the first two channels are available using Direct Sound.

it is like you wrote, - this device is like a pro audio device and will not support the second stereo output in windows drive model (WDM) and so just supports the first stereo output using direct sound.

the reason why i bought this e-mu 0204 device is because of this post:
"JRiver MC offers a direct choice to select this EMU ASIO driver, without installing anything else, and this bypasses the windows kmixer automatically, so you do not have to do anything else.
So when your notebook does give you any trouble with regular use, you just install the EMU Card and the JRiver MC, select EMU ASIO out, set smooth track transition and you are done."

so it will be very sad when media center just has a limited asio support and will not allowing to stream 2 stereo outputs at the same time.

did we overlook something ?

Pages: [1]   Go Up