INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m4p playback issues  (Read 4873 times)

Trill304

• Recent member
m4p playback issues
« on: December 24, 2012, 07:48:02 pm »

I am noticing that sometimes JRiver won't play m4p files purchased through iTunes.  Some days it works and some days it won't.  I have not been keeping track of which builds this may relate too.  I am currently running 18.0.101. Currently the "File Types" setting for playback method is automatic.  I tried changing it to Quicktime and it did work but then I lose the ability to run visualizations, which I always use.  What is the official stance of JRiver and m4p support?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: m4p playback issues
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:00:55 pm »

Can you give the name of a track from iTunes that won't play and we'll try it here?  Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

khennessey

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:12:57 pm »

I'm having a similar issue. For any .m4p (purchased through iTunes), MC 18.0.120 plays the first 2-3 seconds, then goes silent.  These same .m4p files play fine in iTunes and in the QuickTime (Pro) player.

I'm guessing it might be something with how MC 18.0.120 works (or doesn't) with the QuickTime playback engine.  When I choose that in Filetypes, or I choose Automatic, I get the above problem.  If, however, I choose JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter) for iTunes Protected Audio, m4p files play fine.  So I'm doing that and I'm satisfied with it.

.m4a files play fine in MC.

Examples of .m4p files that don't play with the Automatic or QuickTime engine settings in File Types include "Evil Ways" by Santana and "Act Naturally" by Ringo Starr.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 06:21:58 pm »

Apple doesn't sell protected audio-only files anymore (or at least, very, very, very few of them).

Those would be all old ones.  You can, if you want, upgrade them to the new DRM-free style, and you get better quality too.  It used to be annoying to do so, and they charged a small fee, but with the new iTunes in the Cloud stuff, I think it'd just work.  Then you'd have M4As and everything would be right and good with the world.

You'll probably need to delete the file from disk first (or make it so iTunes can't find it anymore -- just move it somewhere safe).  Then... You should be able to load up iTunes and go into your purchase history, and download any track you "own" that you've bought from them in the past.  I HIGHLY doubt they'd still give you the DRM-laden versions.  Plus, you'll get a higher-bitrate copy as a bonus too!

EDIT:  Yeah, I just checked it.  I never bought from them while they still had DRM, but if you go to the Home Page under the iTunes Store part of iTunes.  Over in the right-hand nav "bar" is a link to "Purchased".  Click on that, and then you can see all of your past purchases and download them again.

You do NOT need iTunes Match for this.  It happens automatically.

Apple still has DRM on their music videos and other videos (the content providers require it), but music should be almost entirely (if not entirely) DRM-free (I think audiobooks might be an exception).  For audio-only tracks, M4P is long-gone, and MC never supported FairPlay encrypted M4P video files anyway.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

khennessey

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »

Thanks.  I'll try this (likely tomorrow) and report back.

FWIW, MC18.0.120 was crashing frequently after I switched to the JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter) to the point where it was unusable.  I have set it back to "Automatic," which means no more crashes but also no more playing .m4p files.

I'll see if I can replace them with .m4a files through iTunes and post again here.

-kbh

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:47:15 pm »

I reported this too around Jan 9th on the Beta board. Yaobing was unable to reproduce the error.
My computer was authorised to play the files, but all I would get is a black screen with silence, while MC reported that the file was playing. Stopping the playback would cause MC to crash most times.
The issue was fixed for me, by running iTunes and updating to the latest (horrible) version.

SuperDaveF

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:13:49 pm »

Newbie here....

I also am unable to play .m4p files... they start and then skip. MC18 crashes most times I try this.

I downloaded the most recent copy of iTunes and Quicktime.

I tried hiding my library from iTunes and then re-downloading "purchased" as described... none of the .m4p files were re-downloaded at all. I don't know why.

All m4a and ape play normally.

Thanks for any help.

-Dave

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 05:45:30 pm »

Apple has a program to replace those "protected" files with open AAC files.  That's one option.

MC should be able to play them by using the Quicktime engine.  Go to Filetypes in MC's options to set this up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up