INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating from Foobar (Cover Art & Folders)  (Read 1802 times)

thedon_1989

• Recent member
Migrating from Foobar (Cover Art & Folders)
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:17:41 pm »

I am currently trying JRiver to see if there are any sonic differences to Foobar. I have a few critical questions that I have to be absolutely sure on before I can make a full switch to JRM and these are:
A) How can I just import my files without JRM re-arranging files. Most players have the tendency to auto arrange files and for compilations you end up with numerous folders with a single song and such like. I need my files to remain where they are and no effect to my file structures.
B) All albums and movies have a cover art in form cover.jpg. In JRM>>Tools>>File Location>>Cover Art, I see only an option for cover art labelled as "In the same folder as the file (as Folder.jpg)". Is this where one points to cover art files and how can I change the default Folder.jpg to cover.jpg? Or is there some way of pointing to my cover.jpg which I am not seeing? In short I just need JRM to import my media files from where there are and point to cover.jpg for cover art- simple as that.
C) there is a lot of chatter about iso images in forums, is this for video images only? or can JRM play DVD-A iso files?

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Migrating from Foobar (Cover Art & Folders)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 02:06:58 pm »

When all aspects of the setup are correct, JRiver MC18 should sound better than foobar.  IMHO, this is because Matt has many years of listening experience, and can hear the differences made by some requested changes.  In contrast, some developers of other audio players have apparently been easily persuaded by pseudo-science arguments that have some popularity lately, such as "we don't currently have any explanation for why there is a difference, therefore there is no difference."

(In fact, when foobar changed its internal structure for version 0.9, there was a sound quality deterioration as a result, and some people still use version 0.8 ... )

In regards to DVD-Audio ISO files, there is another very recent thread about that.  MC18 does play SACD ISO files.

Hopefully someone with more experience will answer A) and B) for you.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:14:36 pm »

A) MC does not re-arrange your media files.

B) For video, cover art is stored next to the video file, using the same name as the video file.  See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 03:02:51 pm »

Thanks lads for you quick replies. Looks good so far so I am only left with that one question i.e. if all my cover art is in same folder as music files but named cover.jpg, how can I point JRM to show my cover art. Not interested in JRM looking for cover art for me. In each folder where music files are, I have a cover.jpg, disc.jpg and back.jpg so I need to point JRM to the cover.jpg. I am reluctant to rename all my files in case I have to revert back to foorbar where everything is perfect as it is.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 06:56:14 pm »

Do a Cover Art > Quick Find In File/Cover Art Directory and MC will pickup the Cover.jpg file as the cover art (so long as this is the only image file in the directory).

When you have more than one file (not named according to the rules laid out in the Cover Art wiki page), you'll have to use Cover Art > Add from File, selecting the desired art file.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:04:08 pm »

thanks for that. I ended up just doing bulk copying the cover.jpg to folder.jpg. Will eat a bit of space by having two copies of same file but the process is not time consuming. I can select all albums in JRM and apply cover art from folder. Works fine, just surprised that a program such as JRM doesn't have an option to specify cover art name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up