INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can Gizmo cache the music files and/or the DB?  (Read 1266 times)

ShirazD

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
can Gizmo cache the music files and/or the DB?
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:21:16 pm »

My music collection isn't particularly large. Gizmo works great on my wlan. But as soon as I switch to my (speedy) 4G connection and try streaming music from the road, it's downright unusable. Browsing the library is painful. Queuing a song takes about 20 seconds. Again, this is a fast 4G connection. Is this normal? Otherwise, is there some sort of cache setting I'm missing? If not caching the music, at least caching the database would be great.

Alternatively, all I'm really wanting is to be able to take my music collection or a subset of that collection on the road with me, ie, on my phone, and to have the library go with it. I rely heavily on sorting by last played as well as by import date when browsing my music. I want that sortability on my Android on the road. I also want to be able to sync back my play stats to the J River when I get home (I believe this is called scrobbling?).

Am I missing something obvious here?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: can Gizmo cache the music files and/or the DB?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:38:22 pm »

Nope - but it would be a great addition IMO.  There is some hope that JR are considering this request (it has been made before) if I read between the lines in a recent posts of JimH about broader support on non-windows platforms but who knows, when, if and what it will do (if anything)

All you can do for now is use the lower quality settings in Gizmo (under the menu/settings button).
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:21 pm »

It isn't normal.  You might try from home, turning off your wireless connection first.  Maybe there is a router problem.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:49:20 am »

But as soon as I switch to my (speedy) 4G connection and try streaming music from the road, it's downright unusable. Browsing the library is painful. Queuing a song takes about 20 seconds. Again, this is a fast 4G connection. Is this normal?

Q: But how do you actually know that your connection is "fast". Because the 4G indicator happens to be on?

I tried the same thing with Gizmo and my Samsung Galaxy and dependent on where you are (in town) or on the road - there can be huge variances in speed. On a typical day as I take transit to work downtown - I can tell you by the block where my phone connection is gonna bog down to the point of being unusable. Then after I cross a specific avenue and hit another tower - it's all good. And of course using Gizmo works at some points and then at others - there is nothing.

I have one 7 block strip where nothing works at all...no email, no apps no nothing. Obviously a provider/tower/location issue - but there is nothing we can do about that. It's funny to watch others on my bus as we hit this strip - you see users of this provider (and it's the biggest on in Alberta) just sigh or look away from their phones until we make it past these 7 blocks.

So - without actually measuring your connection at any given point - you cannot assume it's fast. And with a spotty connection - can't really blame Gizmo.

Cheers,

VP

ShirazD

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 02:43:49 pm »

a delayed response, but just to let you know, it's definitely wrt to gizmo. i have a very fast 4G connection, have done speed tests, and gizmo is always slow, even when everything else is fast.

again, even just browsing the library is really slow when over the 4G (again, on a fast connection) -- browsing the same library is fast when on the WLAN. the server i'm using is underpowered. is there any live compression or any other cpu or disk-intensive operations going on when simply browsing the library, that might be different on the 4G than the WLAN? Or perhaps there is a great deal of separate connections made while browsing the library, whereupon 4G latency is high, though this is consistent with jim's response that what i'm getting is not normal...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 03:38:59 pm »

The slowest link is probably is "UP" speed from your house.  I changed from ADLS to Cable just to get some better "UP" speed for Gizmo to make streaming better on my 3G/4G equipment.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up