INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very slow response with tagging in large library  (Read 1198 times)

tom-erik

• Recent member
Very slow response with tagging in large library
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:06:54 pm »

Hello,

Whenever I tag any song in my library which JRiver currently reports is "Size: 701385 files; 109 MB in library; 1.3 GB in thumbnails" the application will hang and not respond to any clicks until whichever process is done (Logical), however the lag with this library is quite annoying, sometimes reaching up to 5 seconds which to my best of knowledge is relatively very slow; I have tested with a smaller library and this process is not even noticeable.

Now I ask if there's some ultimate reason that this in fact must take place or if this can be threaded in a way that I could possibly continue on with my editing while the process starts and then moves onto performing the job.

I have taken notice of a thread made earlier this year that mentions this exact situation and the same quirks that OP mentions there applies here as well: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69453.0

I will also mention that the JRMark score of this computer is 2900~, not exactly top-notch but everything else about the application seems to be handled well.

I really hope that there's something that can be done with this as this was partially the reason I left iTunes for good.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Very slow response with tagging in large library
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:52:54 pm »

There are all kinds of things that can cause slow performance.  Virus checkers are a prime cause.  Network drives can be slow.  And so on.

Are your files and library stored locally?  Or on a NAS?

The "Weird Problems" thread (link in my signature) is a good place to look for ideas.

MC has logging that might also show you where the delays are.

tom-erik

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:47 pm »

EDIT: I have just uninstalled Avast with no specific change in program behaviour.

All the files are stored on external HDDs which are connected through USB hubs and I have tried to disconnect and attach a relevant HDD directly to the computer (and disengaging every other HDD) and there is no difference.

I am fairly sure that this issue is |only| relevant to the fact that the database is so big and I will try to enable logging and seek out the relevant information and if not post the entire thing so someone else can inspect it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:22:41 pm »

The USB drives may be a factor.  USB 2.0 isn't very fast compared with a local SATA drive, for example.

Storing the MC database files locally would probably give you an improvement.

tom-erik

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:44:58 pm »

Sorry, the actual database file is stored locally on the C: drive. I've looked in the log file and there's certainly some information there that could be analyzed with proper context. Here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6911143/JRiver%20Log%202013-01-07%2001-21-38.zip

(It's the entire log file)

Briefly looking at the log file I did figure out that by limiting the amount of things that require updating in the Pane, the refreshing took no longer than what you would expect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up