INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Funny Flash Drive Story  (Read 1532 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Funny Flash Drive Story
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:36:33 pm »

A coworker brought in his flash drive this morning because he couldn't get it to work at home. He got the little window that showed the device had been installed, but it still didn't show up under Computers. Discouraged, he took it back home at lunch. When he got home he saw both of his flash drives sitting by his computer. He pulled the one out of his pocket and realized it was a wireless keyboard transmitter.  ;D At least he had the courage to tell me about it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Funny Flash Drive Story
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:41:46 pm »

Hah!  That's actually "happened to me" once or twice.

Among many other things at the office, I'm in charge of AV support for our conferences that we run during the summer and fall months.  At least two or three times, some speaker arrived with his PowerPoint/Keynote file on his/her "thumb drive", which turned out to be the wireless keyboard dongle instead.  Makes it hard to give the talk, especially when you don't find out until 5-10 minutes before your lecture starts.

Serves them right for showing up late.

ProTip:  If you give talks anywhere, show up early and find the "AV dude" well before your talk (preferably early that day or the day before).  Universally, the people who have the most problems (and who cause the most grief) are the people who cruise in direct from the Airport 5 minutes before their talk is supposed to start.

Jerks.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:43:43 pm »

Haha too funny.

Here's a funny one from me. I was tasked with making a short manual and was making some screenshots. As I'm 2 levels deep into Remote desktop sessions, the clipboard don't always work as expected so I was getting a little grumpy from alt-tabbing back and forth, redoing screenshots that didn't come through etc etc. At one point, I must have missed a hotkey and made a complete screendump instead of from a dialog box, so including the dialog box and start menu, full desktop basically. It somehow ended up showing full screen on my client (don't ask, no idea how that happened), a perfect match since its running in the same resolution. It was very obvious it was a client screenshot, but in my frustration and grumpy mood, I started trying to close the dialog box from the screenshot. Started clicking the startmenu, in the screenshot. Obviously, the screenshot was not responding. Nothing was working. I got angry and pulled the plug from the PC, that didn't work because its a laptop so I kept pushing the power button, calling it names and finally just slammed the lid down.

Colleagues were cracking up and one asks, what's going on? He opened the lid again, the pc just went to sleep so it came back up. He just hit ESC, it closed the full screen view of the screenshot .... everyone wet themselves when i explained why I got angry.

It's been a few years since that happened but when something isn't working for me first thing they ask, are you sure you're not clicking in a screenshot? Me: no, im not an idiot! Them: uhuh!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:18:32 pm »

Speaking of screenshots . . . A coworker stepped out of his office once and I quickly took a screenshot of his computer with an Excel spreadsheet open. I then set the image as the desktop background and minimized all programs. When he got back he couldn't figure out why he couldn't click into a cell.  :)

I also connected my Audioengine W1 wireless receiver to his speakers one time. I then sent music to it from my computer using JRiver. I kept turning up the volume and he could figure out why his controls wouldn't work or what program was causing the music. He even shut down the computer, but the music kept playing. He finally figured that I must be involved somehow and came storming into my office.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:14:20 pm »

Classics.

Way back when, some co-workers would idle away time playing Rogue, and chew up my CPU time.

So I wrote a tool to stuff characters into their TTY driver.  A judicious Q followed by a Y was just the ticket to get some system responsiveness back.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:26:28 pm »

Very funny.  So that's why my game was quitting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up