INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 100% cpu usage??????  (Read 637 times)

Bing

100% cpu usage??????
« on: April 11, 2002, 12:30:09 pm »

I have a question about your visualization.  When it is running it is using 100% of the cpu on my computer.  Is this normal?  Are you going to fix this?  I think that is about it

Poison Dan

• Junior Woodchuck
RE:100% cpu usage??????
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 12:39:49 pm »

I don't think this is a problem. I think the visualizations only use idle CPU cycles. This means it won't slow down the system, and whenever other processes require more CPU cycles they will be able to allocate them.

This is also the reason why the visualizations run very "choppy" when some CPU intensive task is running (e.g. an MP3 encoder), but the systems keeps working perfectly normal otherwise.

It's basically the same principle that some of the distributed computing clients (e.g. Distributed.Net, Seti@Home) use.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
RE:100% cpu usage??????
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 01:18:29 pm »

That would seem to fit with my experiences with MJ. I have quite a large vis screen in my setup, and I don't notice my system ever running slowly because of it. I do notice the vis's getting rather choppy at times, though. And of course if there's a window covering MJ, then the CPU usage drops dramatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up