INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: down sampling of high rez downloads  (Read 1297 times)

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen
down sampling of high rez downloads
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:52:09 am »

I purchase my hi rez downloads from hdtracks at the highest level possible as my wadia DAC can process up to 196/24.  But I also use an wadia 170i trasport with an i pod in my bedroom system. This transport defeats the i pod internal DAC and output a digital signal which then goes to a DAC and then to the pre amp. My question is when I use JRiver media center that can process the hig rez downloads and then sync it with my I Pod how does the hiz rez file get "down sampled" to the I POD lower resolution of no more than 48/16? Does it randomly get rid of bits? Is there some type of algorithm that does it? Or does the FLAC file get converted to an AIFF file before the sync? 

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: down sampling of high rez downloads
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:02:04 pm »

See this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76912.0

And as I told you last time, it is "192" not "196".

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 02:43:30 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Life has been in the way of me getting back to look for an answer to my question, so sorry for taking so long to read your reply.  I did go to the thread you mentioned. It is all greek to me. I have no idea what they are talking about. I am not that techinical.  Is there a briefer, non techinical reply anyone can offer me? My goal in asking the question is for me to be able to decide if I need to download two different versions of a piece of music in order to get the best of both of my systems (my computer / DAC/ main system... and the upstairs /I-POD/ Wadia i-pod doc/wadia 121 decoding computer system).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »

My question is when I use JRiver media center that can process the hig rez downloads and then sync it with my I Pod how does the hiz rez file get "down sampled" to the I POD lower resolution of no more than 48/16? Does it randomly get rid of bits? Is there some type of algorithm that does it? Or does the FLAC file get converted to an AIFF file before the sync?  

You're asking technical questions but you don't want a technical answer...

How's this?

MC does it RightTM.  MC incorporates a high-quality ("audiophile grade") resampler, which can be used in Handheld sync too if you want.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 03:21:34 pm »

Thank you.  That is exactly what I am looking for!

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up