INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fullscreen + Subtitle = Video playback stutters  (Read 3315 times)

koshia

• Recent member
Fullscreen + Subtitle = Video playback stutters
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:56:23 pm »

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem or know of a way to fix this.  For the longest time, it did not do this.. then all of a sudden it started doing it and i'm at awe on what needs to be adjusted to fix the issue.

Anytime I run playback in full screen with subtitles on, the video will stutter about every 30-45 seconds, like a frame was skipped.  If I turn subs off during fullscreen, it's fine.

If I run the playback screen in window mode with subtitles on, it's fine.  This happened before I upgraded to version 18 of JRiver MC -- can't remember what I did last that caused the issue. I did have FFDShow & Matroska Splitter installed at one point to do some encoding, but then never used it and removed it -- not sure if that caused anything.

Currently on:

AMD APU 3870K (CPU jumps from 20%-50% during playback, no higher even during frame skips)
Server 2012 Standard
Mediacenter version 18.112
16GB memory (During playback, Memory was only 3.7GB of 16GB used)
LAV Filters installed

Files played were MKVs, audio is fine.

koshia

• Recent member
Re: Video stutter in fullscreen with subtitles on
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:52:54 am »

After redoing my server from scratch, i am still experiencing the same problem.  So it is not related to the plugins that I had installed on the previous installation of the OS.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:36:40 am »

18.0.106 is on the Download Page.  It's worth trying.

Red October Standard or HQ?  Try both.

Visit the manufacturer's site to get new video drivers.

koshia

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:42:57 pm »

18.0.106 is on the Download Page.  It's worth trying.

Red October Standard or HQ?  Try both.

Visit the manufacturer's site to get new video drivers.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the suggestion - here are my results:

1. Red Oct. Standard  - no sub, no stutter
2. Rec Oct. HQ - some stutter without sub, sub on - stutter is consistent
3. Drivers - none available for Server 2012; however, I am using Windows 8 64 bit driver provided by ATI for the 3870K APU integrated graphics
4. No Audio stutter on any trial
5. Thinking it was a CPU processing/memory issue -- I shut off my Hyper-V (I dedicate 2 cores + 6GB for my second w2k12 machine), even with full CPU + Memory priority, still the same effect.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the video graphic driver, but of course -- none available yet.  I'll post more when I can get more trials running.  I had VideoClock turned on, it's supposed to help -- but will try it off for a few days to see if it does anything.

koshia

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:53:49 pm »

On top of this problem (and it may be related?) My MC has been acting weird.  Ever since I had it installed, i've always had this problem - but now it seems to happen more often. 

Whenever I traverse through the menu during playback in theater view, if i go to fast the menu freezes then MC crashes.  I've tried different skins, themes, etc...  only happens during theater view and when audio playback is happening or coming out of display view when a video is playing.

I've noticed that on audio playback, if I have the 3D visualization turned on - it happens more often.  If I just have plain cover art, the problem is random or at least when I traverse really really fast.  On different themes, for example my favorite theme JRMetro... it seems to use more effects so then it crashes more often.  I'm thinking this is something with rendering the effects and MC doesn't keep up or chokes.

I've managed to collect a few logs.  Wondering if anyone can see in the log something i'm not seeing and perhaps spark some ideas so i can take a look at the issue too.  One of them is a dump file that I had windows create when MC crashed if anyone can read the dump file.

Since the logs were 10MB+ i had to upload it to mediashare.

The dump file is 187MB, i have it as a separate link in case anyone's interested.

Logs & Dump File: http://www.mediafire.com/?dgu1kiwv94v113h,fznt78wojinej6s

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Theater View + Video stutter with subs on + MC crashes
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 06:21:18 am »

I had a similar problem. At the time I was using an onboard GPU which shared memory with the rest of the system. Turned out that by upping the memory buffer size for the iGPU the problem vanished.

You find the setting to change video memory in the BIOS.

Best regards,
Mikkel

koshia

• Recent member
Re: Theater View + Video stutter with subs on + MC crashes
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 04:21:00 pm »

Hi Mikkel,
Thank you for your suggestion.  I found a similar thread on this forum regarding that and subtitles stuttering -- it was because of the suggestion you mentioned; however, I have actually done that and maxed it out the shared memory.  The problem still exists.

I'm convinced that it's something to do with the video graphics driver.  I'm hoping AMD releases more viable drivers for Win8/2012

koshia

• Recent member
Re: Fullscreen + Subtitle = Video playback stutters
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 01:05:06 am »

So going back to this issue.  AMD just updated their drivers and I have just updated my server 2012 to the latest version of display drivers.  The problem with stuttering still exists.

I spent a good half of today trying to troubleshoot it by installing the Lav filters as additional codec option.

I chose to do the custom video mode with custom mode settings

choosing madvr as the video renderer
and choosing LAV Video filter as the video decoder.

I started messing with settings like the native and copy-back DXVA, random interlacing and what not...  None of the options I chose seemed to have made it improve.  I was either stuck with the same amount of stuttering or else the stuttering got worse.

I could use some troubleshooting tips on how I can pinpoint down what is causing it all.  I'm not sure the way i'm troubleshooting this is helping -- more of a crap-shoot and desperation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up