INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't deselect 2 second gap w/ WinXP and Samsung 224b  (Read 2264 times)

lclontz

• Recent member
Can't deselect 2 second gap w/ WinXP and Samsung 224b
« on: April 10, 2002, 07:23:02 pm »

Hi, folks -

Having a problem with a new install of XP (old one worked fine). I installed WinXP on a new machine with a Samsung 224b CD-RW (not on the official Goldenhawk list, but it's worked before and the Samsung line of drives works fine). Problem is, I'm unable to deactivate the 2 second gap between tracks... both that option and Decode MP3 files directly to CD are greyed out. I've tried using and not using the generic driver, selecting ASPI or IDE for the driver, trying both Adaptec and Nero's ASPI files...

What am I missing? I know this driver works with MJB and XP, but something's fonky. Why would those options still be greyed out?

Thanks.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Can't deselect 2 second gap w/ WinXP and Samsung 224b
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 05:16:12 am »

Download and install Adaptec's ASPI software from this link:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=%2fProduct%2fASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70#Microsoft%20Windows%202000

Then, in devices settings, change the drive type back to "Auto" to let MJ select the best mode for ripping CD's. In CD writer settings, uncheck "use generic" and click the "Detect" button. Exit and re-enter MJ.

If it still doesn't work, try an uninstall/reinstall of MJ.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

lclontz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 03:46:24 pm »

Thanks, John, but I'm still getting no love. No matter what I do, the "no 2 second gap" and "decode mp3s directly to CD" options are greyed out. For what it's worth, the drive burns fine, but I loathe the two-second gap because MJ can't seem to account for it on the timing for a disc (so if you have a disc with 22 tracks and :40 left, the burn will fail with an "unknown error."

Anybody have any other ideas I could try? It's *really* frustrating because I love MJ and have traditionally had great luck working with its quirks.

- Lee

lclontz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2002, 09:09:59 pm »

Er... so I guess I'm just SOL here?

lclontz

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2002, 07:44:16 pm »

Okay, so I think I might have figured out the problem. Looking at the Goldenhawk site, it seems that the 24x version of this drive (the Samsung SW-224B) isn't officially on the "supported" list. The 8, 12 and 16x varieties ARE, however. Would that explain why it won't "ungrey" out the 2-second gap?

Since all the other speeds are supported -- and the drive works fine in other programs -- I'm sure it would work. Is there a way to force MJ to see a drive that it doesn't think it supports?

Thanks!

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2002, 05:09:02 am »

Unfortunately we can't override the built in supported list, but there should be a Goldenhawk update coming soon that will support your burner.

lclontz

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2002, 08:18:02 am »

John -

Thanks much! How will I know when it's out? Will it be a .x update or something I'll need to install separately?

lclontz

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2002, 09:19:31 am »

Spoke with the folks at Goldenhawk and they say that the drive is supported with the 3.8G version of their software... would installing that give the proper functionality to MJB, or is it built in? How about using their ASPI layer instead of Adaptec's?

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2002, 11:31:27 am »

Are you running version 7 of MJ? If so, update to version 8 which has Goldenhawk 3.8G incorporated into it.

lclontz

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2002, 03:57:28 pm »

Jim -

Thanks... I installed the .250 beta but it still won't let me select the 2 second gap... it's still greyed out, and it looks like "Use Generic Driver" is permanently selected.

Am I nuts? I'm definitely going to be... Next Page

Thanks for your help.

Arthur

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2002, 10:05:48 am »

I have the exact same problem.  I am using WinXP and a new veloCD TDK 12/10/32 unit. The add two second gap is NOT checked, which is fine by me.  But I would like to have the mp3 files decoded directly to CD, which I cannot access, because of being greyed out.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2002, 10:24:39 am »

You need to have ASPI installed to uncheck "generic".  Please see the FAQ.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2002, 10:27:54 am »

i was going to say, go to help, system info, copy to clip board, and paste it in a message so we can see what it tells use about the ASPI.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Darwyn

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2002, 10:29:10 am »

Perhaps the technical department needs to take a *peek* inside the workings of MusicMatch Jukebox for CD burning. I have ALWAYS had 100% perfect luck making CDs and it has always decoded at max speed on the fly without any gaps between tracks. No need to ASPI or any weird driver installs. Just a thought to get up to par on the burning issues....

Darwyn

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2002, 10:34:14 am »

>> Perhaps the technical department needs to take a *peek* inside the workings of MusicMatch Jukebox for CD burning.
please no, don't do it   Next Page

besides I think MJ's generic driver is and will be enhanced with each version of MJ
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lclontz

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2002, 10:48:39 am »

I spent a lot of time trying to suss out this problem... upgrading to Media Jukebox 8 didn't help it, so I went aheand and bought the 32/10/40 VeloCD and sold the Samsung on ebay. Still had to use the MJ 8 beta (7.2 still didn't work), but at least it works now.

I'd say that Goldenhawk may not be the best source for ASPI CD burning technology, as other apps seemed to work fine with pretty much any burner I've used. I'm happy now, at least, if not a bit poorer.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2002, 11:02:47 am »

>> happy now, at least, if not a bit poorer.
well with a 32x write you can get there quicker now

Now Playing: George Michael - Fast love.mp3
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up