INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ape and replay gain  (Read 2040 times)

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
ape and replay gain
« on: January 19, 2013, 06:07:14 pm »

can't get j river to read tagged replay gain on .ape files. wav and flac are fine.

'replaygain_album_gain'
'replaygain_track_gain'
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ape and replay gain
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:15:04 pm »

What build are you using?  18.0.112 is the latest.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 06:18:14 pm »

What build are you using?  18.0.112 is the latest.

yes, using 112. i've checked, and the ape files are definitely replaygain tagged with APEv2 type tags
Also, 'Disc #' not showing up
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:12:47 pm »

can't get j river to read tagged replay gain on .ape files. wav and flac are fine.

'replaygain_album_gain'
'replaygain_track_gain'

That's not the proper tag name for APE files.

From the APE SDK, which I wrote:
#define APE_TAG_FIELD_REPLAY_GAIN_RADIO         L"Replay Gain (radio)"
#define APE_TAG_FIELD_REPLAY_GAIN_ALBUM         L"Replay Gain (album)"

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 07:35:17 pm »

it's what dBpoweramp writes to the tag

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 07:41:53 pm »

That's not the proper tag name for APE files.

From the APE SDK, which I wrote:
#define APE_TAG_FIELD_REPLAY_GAIN_RADIO         L"Replay Gain (radio)"
#define APE_TAG_FIELD_REPLAY_GAIN_ALBUM         L"Replay Gain (album)"

i tried mapping from replaygain_album_gain to
APE_TAG_FIELD_REPLAY_GAIN_RADIO  or Replay Gain (radio)
neither these worked either

they don't show up in JRiver tag display

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 07:49:58 pm »

it's what dBpoweramp writes to the tag
You could tell them to email matt at jriver.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 07:53:06 pm »

i could, but isn't there a way i can make them display in JRiver? i can map them in dBpoweramp, i tried matt's suggestions with no luck. is it working for you? Also Disc number is not displayed even though it is tagged.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 08:01:22 pm »

seems dBpoweramp writes the reply gain as expression -9.73 dB, jriver wont read the 'dB', but jriver it read the flac and wave dB. i can't change how dBpoweramp writes this.
how about Disc #?

scrap that, jriver ape replaygain tag reader seems broken. i tried without dB, but still not working i guess it was reading from  library when jriver wrote the tag, and not from file tag by dBpoweramp. i prefer not to convert 50,000 files to ape and have JRiver redoing reply gain analysing when the tags are already available, will take a long time to reanalyse. i really hope this gets fixed... please

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 03:28:38 am »

hi,
is there a chance JRiver could accommodate, display and read .ape replay gain tags made by dBpoweramp?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:37:16 pm »

Hi Alex B and Matt,

I just tested a few old APE files (tagged with MC14 and MC15) and a newly created file (tagged with MC17). MC18 had no difficulty in reading the Replay Gain tags. The JRiver programs have always used the same old proprietary "Replay Gain (radio)" and "Peak Level" tag fields inside the physical APE files.

However, if you have analyzed the files outside MC and some other application wrote the Replay Gain tags, the tag format is probably different and unfortunately MC cannot read the tags. Most other programs write the "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN" and "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK" tag fields.

A similar compatibility problem with the MP3, FLAC and Vorbis tags was fixed years ago. From time to time I have suggested fixing also the APE tagging system (Monkey's Audio, Wavpack, and Musepack use the APEv2 tag format).

Matt has suggested field 'Replay Gain (radio)' for ape, the ape file have this as the tag, I mapped it as so in dbpoweramp. Disc# is another tag that wont display on ape. I have 50,000 ape files with no reply gain or Disc# reading. I have an image of the ape tags if I can send it to someone via email to verify, if not i hope future builds resolves this. thanks guys.

Pages: [1]   Go Up