INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and Gizmo  (Read 17531 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Review - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and Gizmo
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:16:50 am »

Well, I'm Impressed with the Galaxy Note 10.1 (4G).  I had a Samsung ATIV but sent it back as it was bulky and was missing things like no internal Wireless, GPS and just felt awkward to hold (I was always worried I'd drop the thing).  In reviewing what I wanted, I needed something portable when I travel that I could:
- Browse the net
- Read and respond to E-Mail
- Play Content
- Read and Basic Editing of Office docs

The rest could wait till I was back in front of a "real" PC.  I was hanging out for either the MS Surface Pro or the Lenovo Helix but both are not available at present and I'm about to travel for a few weeks.... So I thought, I'd give the Galaxy Note 10.1 (4G) a go.  So far I've only had it a few hours and the initial impressions are good.

It certainly does most of what I want above, is light, had good battery life and is about half to one third of the cost of the Surface Pro or Helix.

I was worried about the small screen (10.1) and res esp given my age (eg I now have to wear reading glasses for close work) but document and web pages looks good and sharp.  Of course it supports Gizmo out of the box and on the "Best" settings the content looks great though I think there could be some updates that would suit the larger Tablet format better.  In particular Gismo does not use all the available screen realestate well and even when it does the icons are very small (see pics).  The biggest single thing missing from Gizmo is the addition of an "Offline Cache".  I'd love to sync content to the Note via Gizmo for later playback when not connected to any network....maybe one day!

Overall, the Note 10.1 has a nice feel and is very responsive and the screen exceeds my expections.  Lets see how it goes after a few weeks on the road!

Here is a full sized screen shot of a BD streamed to Gizmo on the Note 10.1!

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Review - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:21:55 am »

The only thing I dislike so far is the stupid connector they use instead of plain USB
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:46:51 am »

FYI - if you try to do a sync from MC using the default MTP settings it will lock the entire PC up hard!  You have to first go into Settings --> Options --> Developer Options --> and Enable "USB Debugging" at which point it seems to sync fine.
JRiver CEO Elect

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:54:53 am »

Hi jmone,

I have it for three weeks and I like it. It's my first tab and my phone is ten years old and only a phone - not more. Must first explore Android.

in MC I see it under plying now -> playing form library but not as a zone. The library is empty. But WMC can see and play all images, incl. sreenshots etc. - can you help?

Tanks Bernhard
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:18:26 am »

Have you downloaded Gizmo from the Play store?  Is is an Andriod App that lets you browse, select and play content from MC's Server froom the Note.
JRiver CEO Elect

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:52 am »

Yes I have and it works.

May be hard to understand my broken english. What I want to know is:

MC runs on my Laptop, my tab is on and the data transfer with other Wlan-devices nearby is enabled - in MC the Galaxy appears with its correct caption as a  library under "playing now -> playing form library". When I wanna load this library, an error message tells me that there was a problem retrieving files from the selected DLNA-Server...

Windows Media Player can load the files stored on the tab and I can play these on my Laptop - I wanna do it also with MC.

I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 11:11:09 am »

If I understand you, the Tab must be running a DLNA Server.  MC can load a library from its own DLNA Server, but may not work with others.

I'll split this to a new thread and move it to the Media Network board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up