INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved] Ripping from CD reads from wrong drive  (Read 2076 times)

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
[Solved] Ripping from CD reads from wrong drive
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:47:04 am »

Hi,

I have two identical CD-ROM drives (Samsung SH-B123L) which I've given drive letters R: and S:. I've noticed in the last few MC 18 versions that when I try to rip a CD from S:, MC tries to spin up and read from R: instead. This means that I currently can't rip from two discs at the same time. The 'Drives & Devices' list displays information for the correct drive, however.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit with MC 18.0.122. I've tried 'Redetect Drives' but this didn't help.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jim

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Ripping from CD reads from wrong drive
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:31:49 am »

Sorry to follow up on my own post. Is no-one else having this problem then?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 07:42:43 am »

Please report the version you're using.  18.0.128 is available at the top of this board.

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:58:46 am »

Hi Jim,

It was 18.0.122. I've just tried again with .128 and get the same result.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:00:56 am »

Sorry for the trouble.

Are you ripping audio or movies?

What if you start the rip from a specific drive under Drives & Devices in the tree instead of the Action Window?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:23:35 am »

Hi Matt,

I am ripping audio (to FLAC). I've tried ripping from the specific drive as you suggested, but it's still trying to access drive R: rather than S:

I've also tried playing a CD from drive S:, and again it tries to access drive R: instead.

It's not a general problem, as I've just successfully played the CD in drive S: via iTunes.

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:08:19 am »

Just tried again with .129 in case it made a difference. Still encountering the same problem, unfortunately. Is there anything else I can try?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 01:50:49 pm »

Hi Matt,

I am ripping audio (to FLAC). I've tried ripping from the specific drive as you suggested, but it's still trying to access drive R: rather than S:

I've also tried playing a CD from drive S:, and again it tries to access drive R: instead.

It's not a general problem, as I've just successfully played the CD in drive S: via iTunes.

Wacky question...

Are the drives in question Parallel ATA drives (with the ribbon cable).  Many, many, many years ago, I had some wackiness with my optical drives (when using two drives) and it turned out I had one of the two drives Jumpered to Slave mode (on the jumpers), but physically connected via a non-shared cable (no other drive was on the same ATA cable).

It would work fine some places, but mess up in others (including MC, but also my CD burning applications at the time, it turned out).  This was forever ago, and doesn't apply at all to SATA drives, but it is worth checking, since you have two drives...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 03:03:57 pm »

Are the drives in question Parallel ATA drives (with the ribbon cable).  Many, many, many years ago, I had some wackiness with my optical drives (when using two drives) and it turned out I had one of the two drives Jumpered to Slave mode (on the jumpers), but physically connected via a non-shared cable (no other drive was on the same ATA cable).

Hi glynor,

Thanks for the suggestion but they're SATA drives. I've just tried playing around with the allocated drive letters in Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management, as the allocation was as follows:

CD-ROM 0 - S:
CD-ROM 1 - R:

I thought it might be worth swapping them around in case the ordering was important, but this didn't help either. When I swapped them to E: and F: respectively MC tried to read from E: even when the disc was in F:

This problem seems to be limited to MC as Windows Media Player and iTunes both work OK.

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 05:43:18 pm »

Hi,

Is there any way that I can help to resolve this? It's still not working in 18.0.149. Symptoms and system spec the same as in my previous posts.

It's easy enough to reproduce on my system:
  • Insert an audio CD into drive F: - it's listed correctly in Explorer and Drives & Devices in MC
  • Try to play the CD in MC - drive E: tries to spin up (access light flashes). MC tries and gives up: "Something went wrong with playback"

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 10:45:34 pm »

I reproduced this problem on my home machine.

We haven't figured out what's happening yet, but I won't let go of JohnT's leg (our rip / burn guy) until we get it fixed.

I'm sorry about the trouble.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 10:58:07 pm »

Do you use DVDFab Passkey by chance?  I have it on the system it's happening on, and I'm looking for possible commonalities.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 01:22:06 am »

Matt - I'm not at home right now, so can't verify that the problem I was seeing -- not being able to rip from my second drive -- is the same as this issue.  If it is, I do not have DVDFab Passkey.  I'll check the problem this weekend if you all have not figured it out by then.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:28 am »

Do you use DVDFab Passkey by chance?  I have it on the system it's happening on, and I'm looking for possible commonalities.

I don't use Passkey, no. Glad to see you're investigating; hope JohnT gets his leg back soon!

I've captured a log in MC. If it would help at all then let me know where to send it.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim L

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 03:54:26 pm »

Just tried 18.0.154 and it looks like you've solved it. Thanks guys :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up