INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why is 16 bit source sending 64bit output to ASIO  (Read 1862 times)

jks9999

why is 16 bit source sending 64bit output to ASIO
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:51:44 pm »

Hi

I am new to Media Center and impressed by all of its capabilities. I am trying to output to ASIO but I am getting an error that my DAC can't process 64 bit output. All of my files are 16 bit so I am confused. When I play something with the DSP open, it shows source is 16 bit 44k, but 'internal' is 64 bit 44k.

Thank you

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: why is 16 bit source sending 64bit output to ASIO
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 07:25:09 am »

Hi

I am new to Media Center and impressed by all of its capabilities. I am trying to output to ASIO but I am getting an error that my DAC can't process 64 bit output. All of my files are 16 bit so I am confused. When I play something with the DSP open, it shows source is 16 bit 44k, but 'internal' is 64 bit 44k.

Thank you

JRiver's internal audio path is 64 bit, but normally when it uses ASIO it sends whatever bitdepth the ASIO device is asking for.  You can usually set the bitdepth requested by your soundcard/dac in the device's driver control panel.  There's no harm to the signal in sending more bits than the source material as it just adds more silent headroom to the signal, but obviously you can't send a higher bitdepth than your card/DAC is willing to accept.

Does your device have native ASIO drivers or are you using ASIO4ALL?  If you're using ASIO4ALL you may need to tailor the settings to fit your devices, but you may just be better off using WASAPI Event Style if you don't have native ASIO drivers.

The best starting point (whether you have native ASIO or not) is to open up "output mode settings" and click on "Device Control Panel" and see what bitdepth is specified there.

If the driver in Device Control Panel is asking for the correct bitdepth, check the "output format" box under "DSP Studio" and see what bitdepth is set there, but that really shouldn't affect things as ASIO drivers should ignore that setting. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Pages: [1]   Go Up