INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annoying blip when changing tracks  (Read 1480 times)

gworrel

• Recent member
Annoying blip when changing tracks
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:12:01 pm »

For some time now, I get an audible annoying blip of sound when switching tracks either through the next track arrow, by double clicking on a new track, or right clicking and selecting play. I thought I wasn't getting it on the first track, but I just tried it and I get a blip when stopping a track and again when clicking on a new track, though it is more subdued than when switching in the middle of a track. Any thoughts on how to correct this? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Annoying blip when changing tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:16:08 pm »

Could you describe the files you're playing and the output settings you're using in Options > Audio a little more?

Depending on your hardware, you can sometimes hear a hardware noise when changing sample rates or switching from DSD to PCM.  Otherwise the output side should always remain perfectly seamless with Media Center.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:09 pm »

You're not playing to a DLNA device are you:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74972.0

gworrel

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:19:33 pm »

I am using Wasapi event style through AMD HDMI to my Onkyo receiver. The buffer size was 50 milliseconds but I just increased it to 100 milliseconds which did not help. Input is 44.1kHz 16 bit 2 channel FLAC. I had it set to process as 6 channels but I just changed it to 2 channel stereo and no change.  Replay gain is applied. The receiver processes as THX music. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:23:05 pm »

Does changing the between tracks mode make a difference?

In particular, try a cross-fade to see if it's totally smooth (even if that's not the effect you would normally want).

Also, try turning off memory playback.

gworrel

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:07:57 am »

I switched to cross fade smooth .4s and that seemed to fix it. I remember turning off cross fade because I couldn't stand two tracks playing over the top of each other.  With the setting at .4s, it does not seem objectionable.  I still get a very slight tic when starting the first track, or when stopping, but not when switching from one to another. Memory playback was already off.  I just switched stop to fadeout fast and that has eliminated the tic when stopping.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:01:57 am »

In the audio settings, try a lower buffer size. 

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:22 am »

I remember having this problem as well,  it really drove me nuts.     The playback API didn't seem to matter (Directsound, ASIO, WASAPI etc).  I think I played with the buffer size/latency as well.

Can't remember if I ever completely fixed it, or how I mitigated it though  (won't have MC reinstalled until I get my file server up and running)  but it definitely involved playing around with the  Start/Stop,  Between Track settings and that kind of stuff.

I do remember that even AFTER a fadeout,  I was getting  pops/clicks like the OP is describing but I believe I managed to get that down to a minor level.   My interpretation was always that is was some kind of residual noise/data in the buffer that wasn't being cleared properly (why else would it appear after a fadeout?).  But this is clearly not an area of expertise for me.

Personally I am the kind of person who prefers hard  start/stop and track switching (true gapless, not a crossfade)  so  I definitely found these issues annoying..   Glad I wasn't the only one experiencing them.
I don't think I've ever experienced it in other programs.   But I could be wrong.

Anyway, that's my 2cents

djcarpentier

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:07:02 am »

hey neco,

let me know if you solve this completely. i'm running a new windows 8 desktop with an asus stx sound card. tried almost all combinations of audio settings, and i can not get rid of a loud pop every time i play a track. happens only on starting a song. super annoying, and i'm also worried about it damaging my (expensive) speakers. i'm using flac files ripped through jriver. i tried foobar with the same files and no popping there. this will be a no go for me if i can't get it resolved.

anyone else with a suggestion, i'd be more than happy to listen. i really like jriver and would prefer to use it if at all possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up