INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback stutter  (Read 2681 times)

mher90

Playback stutter
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:28 am »

I'm having a problem similar to this person here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78591.0

The problem is that songs will randomly begin to stutter.  As the thread describes it, it's like a very rapid set of micro stutters which makes the playback sound like its continuously stuttering.  No one has seemed to be able to find a solution.

This occurred on MC17 so I upgraded to MC18 but the problem still persists.  I don't remember changing any settings so I'm not sure what caused the problem.

I'm using Win 7, outputting through USB to a Ayre QB-9 using WASAPI event style.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback stutter
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:50:54 am »

No ideas.  Have you talked with Ayre?

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:47:24 pm »

Just wondering, does the ayre have a native ASIO driver to try?

What are the CPU and memory usage with task manager open? Are there heaps of other processes and services running,potential interrupts or hogging cpu?

I have Win 7 (64)/ MC 18.0.171 and  use asio driver to usb babyface dac and/or spdif passthrough to a mark levinson reference dac and no stutters (sounds glorious).

I do get video stutter but suspect the lousy Display port/HDMI adapter.

mher90

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:52:00 pm »

I don't think its a problem with Ayre since this identical problem is being reported by people not using the Ayre.  Also, this is a problem that just crept up (I've been using MC for years).  No unusual CPU/RAM loads on my computer when this occurs.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:25:25 am »

Have you tried changing the size of the buffer?

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Output > Output mode settings…

EDIT: from reading the Ayre website, there are DIP switches on the back of device that switches it between USB Audio Class 1 & 2.
Are you currently running the DAC in Class 1 or Class 2 mode? (Class 1 should be "driverless")
If you are currently running it in Class 2, I would make sure that you are using the latest drivers: http://www.ayre.com/Download/Streamlength_v126s.zip (more details here)
And if that still isn't working correctly, I would try switching it to Class 1.

mher90

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:09:17 am »

Hardware buffer is set at 100ms.  If I try to go higher I can't hear anything through my headphones.  I haven't tried lower but I figure lower will make the stuttering worse?

My DAC is running in Class 1 mode already so it doesn't seem to be a driver issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:12:59 am »

Try lower.

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:18:48 pm »

It might not be related to MC, nor your DAC, but perhaps your PC. You could try downloading DPC Latency Checker and seeing how well your PC is handling things.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:49:35 am »

My DAC is running in Class 1 mode already so it doesn't seem to be a driver issue.

Why not try the class 2 and an asio driver? .
I have read that USB Audio Class 1 standard supports 24 bits / 96 kHz max when using native mode USB Audio Class 1 drivers and is tied to USB 1 Full Speed = 12 MHz . A USB audio class 2 or a custom driver is needed to run 176/ 192 kHz and higher. USB Audio Class 2 additionally supports 32 bit.
Class 2 uses High Speed (480 MHz). This requires USB 2 or 3.

This might be even more important if different devices sharing the same USB-Hub.If your audio and your graphics card are on the same hub, the bandwidth required by the graphics might cause the audio to stutter.Anti-virus programs polling the internet with high priority might interrupt the audio too.
Some reading here re USB Troubleshooting  at http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Trouble.htm which in turn references:
    USB audio trouble shooting - Lindemann
    USB audio dropouts on XP - Computer Audio Asylum
    A cheap, fast and effective way to circumvent USB IRQ issues - Computer Audio Asylum
    Pops, clicks, crackles, dropouts, or distortion – M-Audio
    Crazy problem: USB port provides bad sound, but only at low CPU usage

Pages: [1]   Go Up