INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best quality for ripping CDs  (Read 9529 times)

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
best quality for ripping CDs
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:23:29 pm »

MC rips CDs easily - but is the cd/dvd drive in the computer adequate to the task?
Would better results be obtained by using a high end CD transport or stereo output?
How could this be done?
Is there such a thing as an external /USB high end CD drive?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: best quality for ripping CDs
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:37:25 pm »

If you do a secure rip, it should be no different from a high-end transport.

I am not too familiar with the ripping process inside MC, but dBpoweramp will also verify rips against an online "AccurateRip" database to verify that your secure rip is a bit-perfect copy.
MC seems a bit feature-lite with the ripping options available compared to dBpoweramp, but it may just be that it hides what it's doing in the background. I couldn't say.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:44:01 pm »

MC rips CDs easily - but is the cd/dvd drive in the computer adequate to the task?

Yes.  If it works correctly and you don't get lots errors in Secure Rip mode (when the disc itself is not damaged), you're fine.

Would better results be obtained by using a high end CD transport or stereo output?

No, that would be worse.  The drive in your machine does not decode the audio, it transfers the data off of the disc digitally, and then MC decodes it.  MC (in Secure mode) does error checking to ensure that the data it receives from the transfer is bit-for-bit identical to the original data on the disc.  Doing otherwise would introduce generational loss, because the audio would go through a D>A>D conversion cycle.

The best settings for ripping are:

Options > CD, DVD & BD > Use digital playback of audio CDs: Checked
Options > CD, DVD & BD > CD Ripping > [Drive Letter] > Copy Mode: Secure
Options > CD, DVD & BD > CD Ripping > [Drive Letter] > Copy Mode: Max*

You may also want to enable:
Options > CD, DVD & BD > CD Ripping > File Management > Auto-create log file in secure rip mode

And, lastly, for the encoding step:
Options > Encoding > Encoding for CD Ripping > Encoder: something lossless.
Options > Encoding > Encoding for CD Ripping > Encoder settings: Leave at defaults for most/all lossless types.

Any of these encoding types are lossless and will produce identical quality results (but differing container capabilities and sizes):

AIFF
ALAC
DSD (for SACD sources) (See discussion below)
Monkey's Audio (APE)
FLAC
Uncompressed WAV

* If you have trouble with secure rips you can try:

1. Lowering the Copy Mode speed.
2. Replacing the media if it is damaged.
3. Replacing the data cable on your existing drive (the SATA or IDE Ribbion cable).
4. Replacing the drive if you are still having trouble.

Pretty much any vanilla CD/DVD-RW drive for $20 out there will be fine, though.  Some might be faster than, or quieter than, others, but quality can't go about 100% in a secure rip.  That's all the data on the disc, perfectly transcribed.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:12:23 pm »

I am not too familiar with the ripping process inside MC, but dBpoweramp will also verify rips against an online "AccurateRip" database to verify that your secure rip is a bit-perfect copy.
MC's ripping is second to none.  Accuraterip solves a non-existent problem, and only makes sure that your rip is the same as the rips of other users.  Modern drives get no benefit from this.  MC's secure rip mode reads the disc several times to be sure it gets exactly what is on the disc.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 03:19:39 pm »

MC's ripping is second to none.  Accuraterip solves a non-existent problem, and only makes sure that your rip is the same as the rips of other users.  Modern drives get no benefit from this.  MC's secure rip mode reads the disc several times to be sure it gets exactly what is on the disc.
Having access to a database for confirmation is a nice thing to have though, and I don't see options for things like drive offsets, read cache size, or C2 error pointers in MC.

I'm not saying that a secure rip in MC is inaccurate, or worse than one rippped in dBpoweramp, but it does seem like dBpoweramp at least has a few more options and checks it goes through to confirm that. If I am going through the trouble to rip my CD library, I want to be 100% certain that it is bit-perfect.

dean70

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 04:26:42 pm »

DSD (for SACD sources)

Is there a SACD compatible drive available for PCs?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 05:25:12 pm »

No.  The closest thing is the early PS3's.  There is a link to information on ripping in the "DSD Format" topic on our wiki.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 05:25:40 pm »

Not that I know of, but I don't know what that option is for... Perhaps it is just there to allow file conversion of those types?

I can't think of why you'd want to rip a CD to that format, though.  But it was available in there...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:51:20 pm »

We added DSD encoding to MC recently because some people like to use it to play to devices that support DSD.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 06:01:29 pm »

Only the first PS3 Phat Models (60GB) support SACD's.
You need to Jail****k it,if you want to rip SACD's to SACD ISO's with Other OS (Linux).
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 06:21:14 pm »

We added DSD encoding to MC recently because some people like to use it to play to devices that support DSD.

Ok, that makes sense.

It doesn't make sense to have it as a choice in the CD Ripping part of the options, but it probably just shows all the encoders.

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:29 pm »

I am confident that MC's ripping is accurate.  Still, if you are ripping thousands of discs, it saves a lot of time to use AccurateRIP, compared to reading everything several times. It also saves considerable wear on the DVD drive. The drives are cheap, but replacing one can be a pain.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:28:13 pm »

Only the first PS3 Phat Models (60GB) support SACD's.
You need to Jail****k it,if you want to rip SACD's to SACD ISO's with Other OS (Linux).
Now I wish I had not got rid of my PS3 a few years back when I switched to HTPC. Is this the only way to actually rip SACD?

I am confident that MC's ripping is accurate.  Still, if you are ripping thousands of discs, it saves a lot of time to use AccurateRIP, compared to reading everything several times. It also saves considerable wear on the DVD drive. The drives are cheap, but replacing one can be a pain.
Tell me about it. When I recently got through the last of my CDs in a couple of days - about 200 albums - I had a disc explode in the drive, destroying it, and this was a Blu-ray drive, not a cheap CD/DVD reader. I was fortunate that it was literally the last disc I had left to rip, and that I have multiple drives in my system.

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 05:41:59 am »

I see the lossless encoders listed above (FLAC, APE, etc.).

I'm re-ripping a lot of my CD collection. Once ripped, I want to be able to have these files played on an iPod or an Android device, as well as on MC. In the past, I have always ripped to MP3; however, I see no high-quality bitrate options that produce 320kb rips in MC.

Which encoding format would work best with an iPod or Android? Should I abandon the stock Android music app and upgrade to something better?
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 06:21:03 am »

I see the lossless encoders listed above (FLAC, APE, etc.).

I'm re-ripping a lot of my CD collection. Once ripped, I want to be able to have these files played on an iPod or an Android device, as well as on MC. In the past, I have always ripped to MP3; however, I see no high-quality bitrate options that produce 320kb rips in MC.

Which encoding format would work best with an iPod or Android? Should I abandon the stock Android music app and upgrade to something better?
Apple lossless (ALAC) is natively supported on all of Apple's devices. If you want to use a third-party music player, there are some which support FLAC on iOS too.

I have no idea about Android. I would hope that it supports Apple lossless files, but have no idea.

Tweezer

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 11:07:27 am »

I read an article in The Absolute Sound that said to get the highest audio quality to rip at 2X speed.
Any truth to that?

It is taking me forever to rip my 3000+ CDs to a harddrive.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 11:16:17 am »

No.  If you use MC's secure mode, it will re-read tracks to make sure it gets them right.

Welcome to the forum.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »

Should I abandon the stock Android music app

Android 4.1 plays flac files right out of the box as well as mp3 of course.

Tweezer

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 07:11:48 pm »

No.  If you use MC's secure mode, it will re-read tracks to make sure it gets them right.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Jim!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »

It is taking me forever to rip my 3000+ CDs to a harddrive.

You might want to try a few different cheap bulk drives to find a drive model that is reasonably fast in the secure ripping mode. I once started a thread for reporting the actual ripping speeds of various drives: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59038

The drives in that thread are now old, but probably the current models vary in a similar way.

In any case, ripping 3000+ CDs can wear a drive or two out. The spare drives can be handy if that happens.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 08:27:26 pm »

In the past, I have always ripped to MP3; however, I see no high-quality bitrate options that produce 320kb rips in MC.

The preset in MC called "Extreme" uses LAME VBR -V0, which is the highest-quality VBR MP3 possible.  That preset will normally produce transparent results, except for in certain very contrived circumstances.

If you want to force it "higher", you can easily switch it to CBR/ABR mode and set a target bitrate of 320kbps (which is one of the dropdowns).  CBR, however, is generally not recommended (VBR and ABR are better choices).

If you want "higher quality" for archival purposes, you're best off just using one of the available lossless encoders (probably FLAC, APE, or ALAC).  If you need to move the files to a portable device, you can always just use MC's built-in conversion system (which can do it automatically as part of the handheld sync).

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 08:46:38 pm »

The preset in MC called "Extreme" uses LAME VBR -V0, which is the highest-quality VBR MP3 possible.  That preset will normally produce transparent results, except for in certain very contrived circumstances.

If you want to force it "higher", you can easily switch it to CBR/ABR mode and set a target bitrate of 320kbps (which is one of the dropdowns).  CBR, however, is generally not recommended (VBR and ABR are better choices).

If you want "higher quality" for archival purposes, you're best off just using one of the available lossless encoders (probably FLAC, APE, or ALAC).  If you need to move the files to a portable device, you can always just use MC's built-in conversion system (which can do it automatically as part of the handheld sync).

Just out of curiosity, why is CBR not recommended?  Is it just a space economy issue, or is there some other problem?

glynor

• MC Beta Team

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »

Thank you! I always just assumed 320kb would be the best and that the VBR was a lesser substitute for space reasons...
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:28 am »

Thank you! I always just assumed 320kb would be the best and that the VBR was a lesser substitute for space reasons...
If space is not an issue, then lossless FLAC is best.  If space is an issue, then AACplus has the best quality per byte.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 02:00:41 am »

If I were you, I would rip to a lossless format and keep that as an archive. Convert them for your mobile devices to mp3 in -V2. 3000 albums should be around 1.5TB in storage including the mp3 version. IMNSHO, no mobile device offers a playback quality to reveal the difference between -V2 and -V0 and if you have a lossless archive, -V0 will just waste space on that device. And if you do believe you hear it, you can alway reconvert that song in -V0 or even to ALAC (Apple's lossless format).

The thing is, you can always convert lossless to a lossy format but you can never go the other way if you initially rip it to a lossy format (well, technically you can, but it makes no sense :P).

A lot of people including myself went down the lossy road initially and regretted it, redoing the whole thing later because they wanted lossless.

If you really don't want or can't store a lossless archive, by all means rip them to -V0.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39:11 am »

While I still yearn for the day that I can use MC for ripping - the fact the it insists on adding every rip to whatever library is open -remains a sore spot for me. I simply do not work this way and always rip to a local "tagging" folder (which will never ever be part of any library) so I can work on the files when it's convenient to do so.

So ripping via MC always involves extra time to "remove" the rip whatever library it was placed in.

A simple checkbox option to let the user decide if a rip should be automatically added to a given library would seal MC as my ripper forever. But until that day - dbPowerAmp continues to get the nod :)

Cheers!

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 09:02:58 am »

It's hard to see why you would rip a disc and not want it in your library.

You could switch to a temp library before ripping if it bothers you.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 09:35:58 am »

It's hard to see why you would rip a disc and not want it in your library.

Jim,

Let me be clear - of course I will "eventually" want it in my main library - but I need to have complete control over when that occurs. Ripping them to a local drive and then having MC add that local drive path to the newly ripped files is not how I manage our library. I can't have MC adding file references all over the place as it pleases. Plus - all new files are subject to an extensive metadata editing process - which cannot be done by MC. Here's a real world example of how this rip workflow does not work:

1. Fire up MC on my "editing" workstation
2. Rip a disc
3. Files end up on local drive and because I have no choice to stop it - MC now creates a reference in our main library to these "local" files
4. The resultant files are not properly tagged and are missing lots of key data
5. Because we are running client/server - now any client in the house can see this half-assed rip in the Recent Adds area of our main library
6. Now I go to work and my machine goes to sleep (or is shut down)
7. Client decides to listen to this new rip - but cannot because files are not available
8. And so it goes.

Library management here goes well beyond simple rip and add tactics. With 100,000+ files on the server (and movies n stuff coming shortly) - there is a lot of workflow to maintain, manage and especially backup a large collection like this. One key piece of my workflow is the copying of the "final" archive ready files (after metadata tasks are complete). So I:

1. Rip Disc via dbPowerAmp
2. Direct dbPowerAmp to place ripped files in special Sort folder - where metadata edits will occurs
3. Use MC to fully tag the files
4. Use MC's Move, Replace Copy function to move the now "release" ready files to the Released folder
5. Copy the Release ready files to the Server location using Win Explorer
6. Move the Release files to the Archive folder to be transferred to hard disk for long term storage.

But because MC actually adds the path to the files created in Step 2 - to the library - I have to interject every time and delete the reference. This problem become very annoying when 10 or 20 discs are up for rip...have to delete 10 or 20 references everytime.

MC could be my defacto tool in the rip department if it would just let me rip and stack as I please so I can complete my metadata editing and eventual transfer to the only true "file location" (On our server) when I decide to "release" the files.

To consider a simple option such as "Do Not Add Ripped Files to Active Library" should not be a huge deal. Folks that like the curren "auto-add" behavior can leave the check off and others like me - that would like to use MC's excellent ripping capabilities - in addition to having heavy duty file management needs can check the box and do our own thing with the freshly ripped files without having to decouple them from the library all the time. I think it's a win-win for both camps.

And switching to a temp library is just another step that will cause issues - as my main workstation (where all editing occurs) runs Media Server here. If I switch out to a temp library during a rip session - clients that want to listen to some tunes will immediately be presented with my temp "work" library which serves them no purpose.

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 09:51:38 am »

Just for the record, Vocalpoint, there are LOTS of ways to solve the problems you listed here:

4. The resultant files are not properly tagged and are missing lots of key data
5. Because we are running client/server - now any client in the house can see this half-assed rip in the Recent Adds area of our main library
6. Now I go to work and my machine goes to sleep (or is shut down)
7. Client decides to listen to this new rip - but cannot because files are not available
8. And so it goes.

Of course, if your current system works for you, then there's no good reason to change it.  But, I'd have to say that I agree with Jim, even with the reasons you stated.  For the vast majority of users, it just wouldn't make sense to offer that option, and having it there would probably quite-often just cause confusion.  For every person who actually wanted to use that option (all five of you), there would probably be 15 people who come in here complaining that their stuff is missing and that MC's ripping is completely broken (because they unchecked the option because they didn't understand what "the Library" is in the first place).

Just to explain one of the ways you could work around this without resorting to a separate ripping application:

1. Rip directly to a network location rather than a local drive on a machine that might get shut down (this would mitigate the issues with point 6-7).
2. Add a [IsTagged] flag to your Library, which you set from 0 to 1 when you've finished processing new rips.  They will automatically be assigned 0 when they are ripped/imported.
3. Add a filter to each of your main "Top Level" views that hides any file where [IsTagged] == 0.
4. Then, you can have special Tagging/Importing/Prepping Views (perhaps under a new top-level Advanced View in the tree) where you can see and manage these files until you get them ready.

Or, as Jim pointed out, you could easily have a special "Media Ingest" Library that allows you to prep them separate from your main Library.

Also, you've probably explained it elsewhere, but you don't really explain the why of many of your points.  I understand, but... It seems like it is simple "gospel" to you that the files shouldn't be in your Library (as though the "Library is sacred" somehow), without a reason why.  That you don't want other users to see them before they're ready is a reason why, but that is easily mitigated.

Again... If your system works for you, then great, stick with it!  But you seem like you want changes, but aren't willing to consider the inherent assumptions and possible flaws in your own preconceived notions.

Anyway, not trying to argue... Just trying to point out that there are lots of ways to peel an egg.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 10:06:40 am »

JRiver doesn't read several times unless there is an error. What does AccurateRIP do if there is an error when comparing to the database? Won't the user end up reripping?

Quote from: JimH
You could switch to a temp library before ripping if it bothers you.
That is a good idea (for those it bothers). One could switch to to a ripping library which would probably be easier than opening another program.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:26 am »

Like Glynor said, all your points are easily solved but whatever works for you of course. Here's how I do my stuff.

I have several 'Root' views, Audio is the default one which contains all properly tagged music from a few specific locations. This is set up with 'customized rules for file display' with an added rule for Filename (path) Starts with F:\Music. This 'Root' view has all the standard and some customized views like Albums, Artists, Panes, etc. This is where everyone else is normally spending their time, unless they want Classical music. There's a separate view for that.

I have a specific location where I add new music (and other media files) that needs to be added to the library. It's automatically imported regardless of their tags or subfolders; this folder is typically a mess. This location is called for example, F:\Import and this folder is excluded from showing up in any other view except a 'Root' View called Import with a customized rule for file display like above, but for the import folder only. The views below it are specific to aid me to manage and tag my imports. A single album I can tag manually, its no nother but for anything more than that I open MusicBrainz Picard alongside MC and I drag/drop untagged or incorrectly tagged files directly from MC to MusicBrainz. Simply cluster, lookup or Scan and for properly found albums, select, ctrl-s to save and import the tags in MC. For those not found I manually correct a few things in MC like artist, album, year and repeat the process. Whatever is left I tag manually. Personally, I think the tagging process with all the tools in MC is simply beautiful; short of what MusicBrainz is doing for me I can't think of anything I could wish for.

When I rip a CD, I typically don't care what data it pulls from the online database, but I do want it to rip it to the import location. These paths can be set under Tools/Options/File Locations.

Also, you complain about having no control over the auto-rip function, but you can turn that off you know ;).

Vocalpoint

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 04:44:10 pm »

Just for the record, Vocalpoint, there are LOTS of ways to solve the problems you listed here:

To be clear - I am not disagreeing with you or any of the suggestions and of course I aware that I could things differently or better. However not all of these "ways" actually solve problems - which I will address in a moment...

Of course, if your current system works for you, then there's no good reason to change it.  But, I'd have to say that I agree with Jim, even with the reasons you stated.  For the vast majority of users, it just wouldn't make sense to offer that option, and having it there would probably quite-often just cause confusion.  For every person who actually wanted to use that option (all five of you), there would probably be 15 people who come in here complaining that their stuff is missing and that MC's ripping is completely broken (because they unchecked the option because they didn't understand what "the Library" is in the first place).

Well - I am very clear on what the "library" is on what I want it to do. I also believe there are numerous "options" that are in MC right now that do not benefit the "masses" and were included to meet a certain small pocket of users. And to this specific request - it would be "opt-out" in nature - in that a human would have to specific tell the system they do not want their ripped files appearing in the active library. Since the checkbox would never be on by default - there would be no way to introduce confusion. MC would handle ripped files as it always has until you specifically tell it not to. But if a user checks this box and then suddenly wonders why their files are not in the library - probably time to give their head a shake.

Just to explain one of the ways you could work around this without resorting to a separate ripping application:

1. Rip directly to a network location rather than a local drive on a machine that might get shut down (this would mitigate the issues with point 6-7).
2. Add a [IsTagged] flag to your Library, which you set from 0 to 1 when you've finished processing new rips.  They will automatically be assigned 0 when they are ripped/imported.
3. Add a filter to each of your main "Top Level" views that hides any file where [IsTagged] == 0.
4. Then, you can have special Tagging/Importing/Prepping Views (perhaps under a new top-level Advanced View in the tree) where you can see and manage these files until you get them ready.

Or, as Jim pointed out, you could easily have a special "Media Ingest" Library that allows you to prep them separate from your main Library.

Also, you've probably explained it elsewhere, but you don't really explain the why of many of your points.  I understand, but... It seems like it is simple "gospel" to you that the files shouldn't be in your Library (as though the "Library is sacred" somehow), without a reason why.  That you don't want other users to see them before they're ready is a reason why, but that is easily mitigated. 

Let me first speak to the "why" of it all first and specifically why my music management workflow HAD to change from some of the more "accepted" methods using MC as designed. First - "the moment". Back in August 2010 - I had my library out in Windows Home Server and was doing exactly what you outlined in some of your steps - like ripping to the server for example. I was using MC to rip to the server and everything was groovy. But I was also cavalier about backup and even more cavalier about any impacts of "loss" both in actual files and in lost metadata editing time. I was starting to really spend a ton of time tagging and ensure my music files were in tip top shape. But I never gave a crap about really ensuring the files were safe.

So one morning in August of 2010 - I played a specific playlist in MC and immediately noticed some glitching on a file...then another and a few moments later - another. I first thought network problems or a hard disk issue or anything that could be causing playback issues over the network. I believe I was on MC 16 at the time. After hours of diagnostics and finding nothing - I turned my attention to the source files. After downloading AudioChecker and a few other FLAC based tools - turns out that I had over 800 tracks in my server location that somehow went corrupt. The glitches were baked in. So I corralled together the list of "bad" files and it was then I realized that I had little to no backup for any these files (my total oversight). Long story short - it took me some months to recover from all this damage and it made me realize that my process (if you could even call it that) was sorely lacking in file management, backup and a bunch of other safeguards.

Hence the new workflow.  Which was briefly outlined above - but here it is again:

1. Rip CD LOCALLY via whatever tool meets the task - currently dbPowerAmp
2. Ensure said tool puts ripped files in the specific Unreleased folder - where metadata edits will occurs
3. Use MC to fully tag the files
4. Use MC's Move, Replace Copy function to move the now "release" ready files to the Released folder
5. Create MC play copy - copy release files to the MC Library (Server) location using Win Explorer
6. Move the Release files to the Archive folder to be transferred to hard disk for long term storage.

The "why" of this workflow is simple.

1. Make maximum use of time and effort to focus on create the ultimate master "source"
2. Use master source to create the "play" copy - sent to the MC library location (SERVER)
3. Move master source special local staging area
4. Use SyncBack SE automation to move each master source file to two separate archival discs
5. One set of discs goes offsite
6. The other set is locked in a fire-proof safe onsite.
7. Ensure that I never ever have to worry about losing a "processed" file again :)

With regards to the "Library is sacred" - most definitely not. To me it's nothing more than fancy name for a file folder. It's a single spot where MC gets the honor to play what I choose to give it. And for my own ease of use - I want only a single location for it. I have no desire to manage multiple local paths or multiple libraries just to manage ripped files.

Now - to your list of possible solutions:

Solves little - as this "rip" is my actual master. Sending it to the network location will only mean having to move it back local for source prep and backup staging. Plus it would be not tagged properly at first rip.

2. Add a [IsTagged] flag to your Library, which you set from 0 to 1 when you've finished processing new rips.  They will automatically be assigned 0 when they are ripped/imported.

Well - I could see this being useful - if I were to allow ripped, untagged, unreleased product to actually be in my "real" library location - and it's clear that I do not want this content ever getting to the server until it's deemed ready to be a true "play" copy. If I was starting from scratch with a small library - might be possible - but it sounds like a hassle at this stage with a large collection.

See above.

Must admit that I have tried this - and I could not get it working with as much "flexibility" as I would like with Explorer. My main gripe here - (this is - after having to remove the Library reference if using MC to rip) is that there is no way to store Recent paths within the MC Rename, Move and Copy files utility. So if I tag up some files in MC and want to copy them to the Server - I have to hand type (or browse) to that path...and then when I want to move the final archive to my backup area - I have to hand type (or browse) to it again. Within my third party Explorer tool - I can do all of this very quickly with keyboard shortcuts and I can have the files where I need them in seconds.

To close - You know I love MC and have learned to overcome many of it's shortcomings - and understandably - my needs differ (possibly dramatically) from how others use it. Big difference here is that I need to control the creation, location and cleanup of the content and ultimately how MC gets to access it - not the other way around. So while the solutions offered here are excellent - they still require effort to create (custom views, filters, new fields etc), potential severe mods in workflow (like allowing local paths to infest the main library) all just to have MC to manage everything. All I need from MC is to keep the main library viable and be the erstwhile tagger and player here. It could be the ripper too...but until it learns it's place as a solid ripper instead trying to own the ripped files - probably won't happen.

Thanks for the updates.

Cheers,

VP

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 04:54:41 pm »

You didn't reply to the easiest suggestion:

Use a separate MC Library for ripping in MC:

File->Library->Library Manager

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 04:56:53 pm »

Like I said... I understand.

The central point where you disagree with the developers is this:  You believe that it is possible (or desirable) for the Library to be "pristine".  I think that's an absurd pursuit.  The Library is just a database.  No more or less important, in many regards, to my email application's database.

So, to me (and Jim), asking for this is a little like asking for a way to compose an email in Outlook without Outlook's database knowing about the email.  It is a nonstarter.  How would you do anything with the files then?  You'd have to just immediately import them to actually get anything DONE.

I think the issue is the conflation of the term "the Library" with different meanings depending on context.  To MC (and the way I look at it), it is just the database.  One of many I use with this application.  There are LOTS of ways to filter what comes out of the database, and I want to make sure the database doesn't get messed up, but I don't worry about keeping the database "clean".

My Media Library, on the other hand, is an entirely different thing.

Also, FYI:

Well - I could see this being useful - if I were to allow ripped, untagged, unreleased product to actually be in my "real" library location - and it's clear that I do not want this content ever getting to the server until it's deemed ready to be a true "play" copy. If I was starting from scratch with a small library - might be possible - but it sounds like a hassle at this stage with a large collection.

You think it is harder than it is.  Add the field.  Every file in your current Library AUTOMATICALLY gets [IsTagged] = 0.  Control A, tag = 1.  Add a few filters to the top level views (which are then automatically inherited by their child views.  Done.

I use this technique EXTENSIVELY for my video work libraries at the office.  It works quite well for things that you can auto-tag with Tag On Import rules (I have rules where the flag gets automatically set to "Publish" when certain other fields contain valid data).

But, again, yes... I understand, and that's fine.  If your workflow works for you, then keep at it.  That's one of the nice things about MC.  It is so flexible that it can accommodate many different use cases.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 05:06:25 pm »

You didn't reply to the easiest suggestion:

Use a separate MC Library for ripping in MC:

File->Library->Library Manager

Agreed.  If you really want to keep them segregated, this seems like the best and easiest solution.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 06:26:35 pm »

So, to me (and Jim), asking for this is a little like asking for a way to compose an email in Outlook without Outlook's database knowing about the email.  It is a nonstarter.  How would you do anything with the files then?  You'd have to just immediately import them to actually get anything DONE.

@glynor

The better question is - why does MC automatically assume that I WANT to do anything with the files? I can easily reel of a half dozen reasons right now why I might want to rip tracks of a CD just to rip them. Nothing more expected.

Example - On a whim - my kid asks me to rip a CD for his iPod Touch. I can't even do this simple task without having to go into MC, hit my main library and clean up the mess that is now staring me in the face. The point is - I would love to use MC's excellent ripping capability and I do not necessarily want to "do" anything more with these files.

I suppose this is why tools like dbPowerAmp exist. To allow us to just do a simple rip - hassle free.

@kstuart

Noted - but again I am running client server and the main editing machine is the Media Server. If I created a separate "Rip Environment" library just for this kinda work - I can easily see myself forgetting to switch back to my main library and then my kid comes home from school and fires up MC expecting to play Gangnam Style 42 times - but instead gets a view of 8 boring albums in various states of repair. Probably won't go there :)

Will stick with what I have. Thanks again for the conversation and excellent tips. I will continue to explore MC to better my workflow.

Cheers,

VP

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 06:54:22 pm »

I gotta say, this is making a mountain out of a mole hill.  Select the files, Shift-Delete.  You're done.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:13 pm »

I suppose this is why tools like dbPowerAmp exist. To allow us to just do a simple rip - hassle free.

Absolutely.  Different strokes for different folks.

To me, not having them in the database is the problem.  Not the reverse.  My rule of thumb is:  If it isn't in the database, it doesn't exist (also, if it isn't backed up, it doesn't exist).  For many reasons:  I want to use MC to find them, tag them, and organize them.  That's what it excels at.  That is the point of the tool for me.  Because Windows Explorer is a steaming pile of fail.

That's why it is confusing to me (cognitive dissonance).

But... Hey!  No big deal.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:34 am »

Absolutely.  Different strokes for different folks.

To me, not having them in the database is the problem.  Not the reverse.  My rule of thumb is:  If it isn't in the database, it doesn't exist (also, if it isn't backed up, it doesn't exist).  For many reasons:  I want to use MC to find them, tag them, and organize them.  That's what it excels at.  That is the point of the tool for me.  Because Windows Explorer is a steaming pile of fail.

That's why it is confusing to me (cognitive dissonance).

But... Hey!  No big deal.

So - I took all the suggestions and spent some time rethinking some workflow and suddenly have a tidy solution to my "rip" issue all from within MC! Here's the new workflow:

1. Rip disc in MC (with File location set to local folder called Sort)
2. Let MC add the album to the database/open Library
3. When rip is complete - new album appears in my Recent Albums view
4. Highlight new album reference in MC and tag the files appropriately.
5. Once complete - open "Explorer" on MC Tree
6. Locate album file folder within the Sort area and drag it (copy) to the Archive area (for backup)
7. Finally - right click on album in MC and choose Rename, Move and Copy Files
8. Move album out to Server location
9. Album reference is automatically updated in MC
10. Done!

Sometimes you can teach an old dog a new trick!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up