INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is MC18 supposed to read Performer in cue sheet and store it as artist in librar  (Read 974 times)

marcoc1712

HI,

I've downloaded the trial few days ago I had some trouble and I've give it up, since today I received a mail from the River's Customer Service, asking to me how I'm with the software:

The last sentence was that one:

"If JRiver Media Center hasn't met your expectations, we'd like to know why.  Just reply to this e-mail.  Your reply is appreciated."

Wow, what a customer centric approach...

Felling a little bit guilty, I resumed MC18 trials and replied, then Mr. Jim Hillegass kindly asked me to post my reply on this forum.

Here it is.
-----------------
Hi,

I really think JRiver is a overall "well done" product and even a bit better in sound quality than Foobar2000, great point will be the mac OS support, since I'm using mac at work and I have at  least 3 Intel mac Os in my house actually (the Air is now playing as temporary 'controller').

My scope is to replace Squeezebox and LMS, so I'm interested in the upnp render/server/controllers architecture and I think JRiver could be nice for me.

There are a lot of functionality that I need to investigate (DRC, remote controlling features, and others) but too bad I'm getting in trouble with the libray management since all my 3K albums are now ripped in WAV and I use cue files to store metadata and track info: I haven't yet realized how could I make JRiver correctly read even some basic information from cue files, like Artist (performer), composer, conductor and ensemble (band).

I did manage this someway whit Foobar and as far is not 'perfect' from this single point of view looks to me better than JRiver, I'm looking for an help on this topic in the forum, but  I haven't still found a suitable solution, for sure I'm not going to re-rip, convert or re-tag all my collection...

I used to be a a programmer, so I've built a Java application based on a MySql DB to get coverart and metadata from on line sources (discogs and musicbrainz),  merge, modify, ans store them at album/track level and then produce any kind of output (cue file is one) on request. I'm actually serving LMS with the cue file and an additional XML file per album, used to display more information (non standard cue sheets fields) about the 'playing now' track via a plug-in, but I haven't found any option like this in JR.

Another thing that I'm trying to understand is the minimal/optimal hardware and Software (in terms of OS) configuration both for the renderer PC and the Server (now I'm using a dual core Athlon 6400 with no problems at all, CPU load is 5% max during playback, so I think It could continue to run as server also for JR), but I have to buy/build at least the renderer and cost may vary from a Raspberry PI to a Intell I7 fanless PC. I know Rasperry is not suitable for JR, but maybe some Atom or i3 mini Itx, low power based pc could be enough, how to know?

Maybe You could help me and speed up my decision. Looking forward to become part of the enthusiastic community of your customers!

Thank in advance,

Marco

----------------

Hope in better luck here, but just a free advise to JRiver sales people: a direct answer to my mail was the cheapest and more effective way to let me feel confidential on the company and go straight for a buy, this way- for the little value it brings - you left a potential customer in other harms... Sorry, I'm a sales and marketing consultant in the software industry, I could not resist!

Looking forward for the information.

Ciao, Marco.
Pages: [1]   Go Up