INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to see/find auto-import settings  (Read 3357 times)

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
Where to see/find auto-import settings
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:22:59 am »

Hi,
I have configured auto-import including several folders and also performed an import. When I want to add a folder I cannot find out where to find/see the existing auto-import folders. When I enter Media Import > Configure Auto-Import the folders listbox is empty. Where to find my choosen folders?
Thanks!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Where to see/find auto-import settings
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:29:11 am »

If you go to File > Library > Import > Configure Auto-Import and click "Next" you will see the list of folders setup for Auto-Import. If there aren't any folders, then click "Add" and add them in.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:49:37 am »

when trying to import media from single folders, is there a way to specify what folders are in the pulldown list or are they auto generated, folders like public/music and stuff I don't want

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:57:50 am »

Auto Import settings are under Tools/Import/Autoimport.  You can add or edit any directory there.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:20:02 am »

Auto Import settings are under Tools/Import/Autoimport.  You can add or edit any directory there.

thanks but not seeing it, I see my folders I added such as M:/Music, N:/Movies etc but I continue to also see folders like C:Users/Terry C/Music that I never added and certainly don't want now but I see no way of removing them, I have tried all instructions and methods.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

gappie

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:27:42 am »

thanks but not seeing it, I see my folders I added such as M:/Music, N:/Movies etc but I continue to also see folders like C:Users/Terry C/Music that I never added and certainly don't want now but I see no way of removing them, I have tried all instructions and methods.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
is there no remove button beside them?  ?

:)
gab

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:50:24 am »

Wait...

Are you trying to edit the Auto-Import settings for importing new files going forward, or to remove the files from the database that have already been imported?  Those are two different things.

MC's Auto-Import system will detect filesystem changes and import new files found in the specified directories.  This system is configured here:

Click to Play.

This will NOT however, remove any files already imported into MC from places you don't want included.  Once you've imported stuff, to remove it, you need to remove the files from MC directly.

To do this, find the files in question in MC (an easy way would be to navigate through a view that shows them by disk location), select them, and hit Delete (or right-click and pick Delete).  From the confirmation dialog that pops up, pick the top (default) choice, which is Remove From Media Library (the ones without the extra send to Recycle Bin or permanently delete choices).  This will remove the file from MC's Library and those files will no longer show up in your views.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 10:00:46 am »

no, under tools > import > select single folder > pull down menu

I see my directories I added like M:/Music, N:/TV Shows but there are also directories in there like C:/Users/My Name/Music that I never added and don't want on the list anymore.

There are no files in my library associated with the directories that I don't want anymore, all my files are from the directories M:/Music, N:/TV Shows etc

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:38:45 am »

I think you can remove those in Auto Import.

Auto Import settings are under Tools/Import/Autoimport.  You can add or edit any directory there.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 10:59:57 am »

Perhaps they are generated by the folders in:

Tools->Options->File Locations ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:25:31 am »

That's the contents of the combo box.  That's just a MRU list.

Those aren't "included".  Only the ones actually added are included.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:18:33 pm »

That's the contents of the combo box.  That's just a MRU list.

Those aren't "included".  Only the ones actually added are included.
but he said:
...but there are also directories in there like C:/Users/My Name/Music that I never added and don't want on the list anymore.
So, I was going by that, and the folder settings in "File Locations" seemed like the only other possibility...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 02:20:01 pm »

but he said

I know, but his screenshot shows editing one of the Auto-Import directory entries, with the combobox open.

To tcman...

Watch my movie (above).
When you are at this page:

click to embiggen

The directories listed in the box (circled in red) are the ones that are being currently monitored by MC's Auto-Import system.  You can select and remove them by simply selecting the line in the box, and hitting the "remove" button to the right.  You can edit existing ones, or add new ones, by using the Edit or Add buttons.

Once you Edit an existing entry, or add a new one, it shows you this dialog (which is what you screen captured above)...

click to embiggen

In here, in the combobox I have circled in red, you can either type any directory path on your system to monitor it (including UNC paths starting with \\servername\ if you'd like, mounted network volumes, and local disks).  You can also click the browse button and browse and find the drive/folder you want to monitor, just like you'd open a file in any other program.

Underneath the combobox dropdown (the little arrow next to the place where you type here), it just shows a list of "recently used folders" and probably "commonly used folders" (in your user directory).  That's just a shortcut to make it quicker and easier to enter those common or recently used directories in.  They have no effect other than to allow you to quickly choose one.

That is standard Windows application behavior.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »

Those c:\ directories are only appearing for single folder search/import they dont show up under auto import settings where yes I can add/remove/edit the directories but the only  M:, N:, and O: directories which I have added.

I believe those C: directories are in fact obsolete locations or some kind of default thing that JRiver does, like WMC automatically looking at public/users/media directories.

This has always bugged me all the way back to like JRiver 12 or whatever.

I guess it really doesn't matter at this point because when I switched over from xbmc to JRiver exclusively I have gone to auto update anyway and it all works great, before I would manually import from single folders from the pulldown list and that is where those odd C: directories where showing up, very weird.

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 03:49:43 am »

Auto Import settings are under Tools/Import/Autoimport.  You can add or edit any directory there.

Thanks for your answer!
This time my chosen folders are saved and viewable when revisiting the configure auto-import window!  :)
(But I cannot understand why they disappeared when I did the import the first time...)
A reflection; shouldn't it be smarter if the user could pick/check several folders at the same time when configuring auto-import folders?

Another thing that confuses me a little is the file location path setting in Options > File Location > Audio. This is set to my Windows default music folder under C:\Users\... where I don't have any music files saved.
In what way is this folder/setting used?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 06:45:34 am »

Another thing that confuses me a little is the file location path setting in Options > File Location > Audio. This is set to my Windows default music folder under C:\Users\... where I don't have any music files saved.
In what way is this folder/setting used?

When you rip new music with MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 06:47:39 am »

I believe those C: directories are in fact obsolete locations or some kind of default thing that JRiver does, like WMC automatically looking at public/users/media directories.

This has always bugged me all the way back to like JRiver 12 or whatever.

Yeah, I think MC just always includes the "standard Windows" media directories in those dropdown lists.  I don't think you can edit what appears in those dropdowns.

You might be able to dig into the registry and figure it out, but I've never tried.

Humbledore

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 09:23:16 am »

When you rip new music with MC.

So why not label it 'Ripped CD Audio' like you do for 'Ripped DVD Video', for consistency? Why let the user guess what it should be used for...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 10:17:49 am »

So why not label it 'Ripped CD Audio' like you do for 'Ripped DVD Video', for consistency? Why let the user guess what it should be used for...

Dunno.  It might be used for other things too...

I don't control these things (to be clear, I don't work for JRiver).

Pages: [1]   Go Up