INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug?? Tags Changed  (Read 1896 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Bug?? Tags Changed
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:00:06 pm »

This has been happening every so often for a few months now. Sometime mc destroys the tags in a small amount of my music. It's been a minor hindrance but keeps occurring..

In the catalog field, the data will be replaced with "atalog"
and in the series field the data gets replaced with "eries; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;"
& I also have another field, that I use called date import backup which gets replaced with "ate Imported Bac"

It is only really these fields it happens to..

I populate the series field with the publisher as it allows me to make use of series relational abilities, so I can use another field as a flag, if a label is significant to me, so it appears at the top of any view. I thought it was something I was doing but I haven't touched those tags on the files it has happened to for quite some time. And I manually tag all my music. The only kind of semi automatic tagging I do it in the tag window, i.e. in the series field I enter =[publisher], so I'm feeling that can be ruled out.

Any ideas?

Makes me think of one other point, that what I'm doing with series & publisher is kind of an ulgy workaround, any chance sometime in the future we could have the option for a custom field to store one value for each publisher? No rush, just some food for thought..

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Bug?? Tags Changed
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:43:08 pm »

Any plugins or anything?

That isn't normal in any way.  It sounds like something is trying to parse your database for some reason and failing miserably.  Other possibilities might be:

1. Data corruption (possibly hardware) in the Library files.
2. Some MrC-crafted complex expression in your Library somewhere run amok.
3. In-File tags being corrupted by some other misbehaving application on your system, and then MC is picking up the changes.
4. Gremlins.

For #3, you can "test" this easily enough by simply disabling Auto-Import from updating tags for external changes (under Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import settings).  If it stops happening, then you know it was some other application on your system that is messing with the files and mucking up the in-file tags.

I can't think of what might be borking them that way, but there are possibilities.  Do you use said files in any other applications on your system at all?  Do you have any kind of weird "media helper" Shell extensions enabled?  File sharing applications?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:15:56 am »

I have never seen MC to corrupt field data or file tags in that way, but the symptoms look familiar. Microsoft has included a bad ID3v2 tagger in several programs, including Windows Explorer and Windows Media Player. The MS tagger can corrupt foreign ID3v2 tags while it is making tag changes.

The problem has been discussed e.g. in the following Hydrogen Audio threads:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=76998
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=92813
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:37 am »

Windows Home Server, too.  There are a couple of links in the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature.

locust

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:20:34 am »

thanks for the replys

I only have the subtitle downloaded plugin installed. I don't use any other program with any of my music.. No shell extensions.. Filesharing applications?? Like utorrent?? Yes I do, but nothing in my main library is shared, if I wish to share something a copy is made first. The only stuff in my library that is shared that way is a few tv programs and no video has been affected.. I use Sickbeard along with BTN's Api key with utorrent, to automatically download a few tv programs I'm watching and send it straight to MC.. Oh and I have air video server running but again that is just sharing video.

I did notice that the Windows Media Player Network sharing service is running. I thought I had disabled that.

I'll try disabling the setting in auto import. If it works it might take a while for me to notice, as this has been quite sporadic.
2. Some MrC-crafted complex expression in your Library somewhere run amok.

I thought about that, probably non MrC's lol they are great, more probable my own attempts to create complex expressions.. But where?? Calculated data in a custom field, Rules for file display or just a regular pane expression? I can't see where any of these would be able to write tags..

I have never seen MC to corrupt field data or file tags in that way, but the symptoms look familiar. Microsoft has included a bad ID3v2 tagger in several programs, including Windows Explorer and Windows Media Player. The MS tagger can corrupt foreign ID3v2 tags while it is making tag changes.

This could be the Window media player network service? I do remember I have opened windows media player by accident a few times in the past . Is it ok just to get rid these? Nothing will fail without them will them?

Windows Home Server, too.  There are a couple of links in the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature.

I'm using windows 7, but hopefully the stuff mentioned before will rectify the issue, if not, guess I'll be looking into that to see if it can affect windows 7 as well..

Thanks for the help :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:06:14 am »

Check your rules for auto import tagging. I have some and they throw in characters which I think are part of the expression, not supposed to be part of the tag. Eg I will see (under album):
0),1 Sherlock S02)
Instead of:
Sherlock S02.

The extra characters are appended to every auto imported tv show file's album tag.
I will post the expressions I'm using in a new thread in case it's unrelated to your problem.

locust

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:35:48 am »

Check your rules for auto import tagging. I have some and they throw in characters which I think are part of the expression, not supposed to be part of the tag. Eg I will see (under album):
0),1 Sherlock S02)
Instead of:
Sherlock S02.

The extra characters are appended to every auto imported tv show file's album tag.
I will post the expressions I'm using in a new thread in case it's unrelated to your problem.

It can't be that because it rarely happens.. Although I forgot to mention in my auto import the only auto tagging I do is with my music..

I have two music sort folders, !Sort Angelo & !Sort Cassie, which I dump all new music into prior to tagging.. I also have a field called user, which I use for segmenting mine and my girlfriends music. In auto import either Angelo or Cassie is applied to the user field depending from which sort folder they came from, that's the only auto tagging I do on import.. Once tagged I eventually Rename and move the files into our sorted music folders..

here is the rules I use for moving the files.

Base Path
mid([Filename (Path)],0,1):\Users\HOME\Music\[User]

Rule
[Album Artist]\[Album]

Filename
if(isequal([disc #],unknown,8),,[disc #] - )[Track #] - [Name]
Pages: [1]   Go Up