INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion, Lose warning that updating tags may take a long time.  (Read 2305 times)

crisnee

• World Citizen

I think it's about time to lose that warning, or at least to add a check box that allows the user to disable it; or at the very least show it only when thousands of tags are involved. It's an annoyance and disrupts the flow as it stands.

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Suggestion, Lose warning that updating tags may take a long time.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:02:30 pm »

I'll add my +1 for this.

On my computer even changing thousands of tags is quite fast. It would be a welcome option...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:23:22 pm »

It only shows if you change more than 100 files, and it's designed as a safety-check confirmation.  Are you editing more than 100 files often?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:39:14 pm »

It only shows if you change more than 100 files, and it's designed as a safety-check confirmation.  Are you editing more than 100 files often?
I agree here with Matt.

You can't have too many confirmations before making major changes.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:34:32 am »

Yes I am. I have large a number of tracks and I'm doing lots of experimenting with genres, levels of them, styles etc. to find the best way for my particular mindset. I listen to all kinds of music so it makes it quite complicated to create a fairly intuitive way in which to find my less regularly used files--because I have so many.

I would at the very least like to be able to disable it. Much less time would be spent if I changed say 125 genre fields incorrectly and then had to correct them, then to repeatedly click the warning box to close it. And I don't see a safety issue. I suppose there would be a slight safety issue if I changed a huge number of files and it did indeed take a long time but otherwise... what's the issue?

The only real issue I see with changing tags is if one changed a group of name fields all of which contain different values to a single value by mistake, but then 50 or 90 would be a disaster too. You can't safe guard everything.

Besides the warning is concerned with time (that it might take a long time to make the changes) not safety. So at the very least you should change the wording, if safety is really the issue, and if you do that, why not add an opt out check box.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 12:51:37 am »

The only real issue I see with changing tags is if one changed a group of name fields all of which contain different values to a single value by mistake, but then 50 or 90 would be a disaster too.

Ctrl-Z (undo) can  be a lifesaver.

Besides the warning is concerned with time (that it might take a long time to make the changes) not safety. So at the very least you should change the wording, if safety is really the issue, and if you do that, why not add an opt out check box.

For what its worth, I agree.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 01:04:22 am »

Ctrl-Z (undo) can  be a lifesaver.

Thanks for mentioning the undo function; I meant to but forgot.

It's what you would probably use anyway--if aware of it, as the warning box re the time problem would likely not alert you to your real problem to be, and thus you'd only realize it once you saw your changes in b&w, so to speak.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 03:07:00 am »

I agree here with Matt.

+1

I rely on this feature, honestly.  With massive tagging changes (which can apply to the in-file tags and go "live" immediately), it is good to have a stop-gap to prevent accidental massive tagging changes.  This comes in particularly handy in situations when, perhaps, you have the wrong panel or file-set selected and you try to make a Pane-tagging change.  So, you expected the tagging change to only apply to a single file or three, or maybe a full album, but you'd accidentally selected an entire Artist, Genre, Series, or Media Sub Type.  This warning flag "catches" those situations and prompts you to do a double-check.  If you pre-expect a large tagging change, it is a small matter to just click Yes.  As I mentioned, these changes are live immediately, and can actually be disk-intensive (and difficult to "cancel in place") if you accidentally apply them to a large file set.  Undo can be a solution, but usually it is a multi-step process to get yourself "restored" (writing tagging changes back to the files and whatnot), and I've had situations where undo completely fails me (say you apply a big change, and then something goes haywire, and you need to shut MC down while those tagging changes are still in-progress before you can even attempt an Undo).

I'd need to actually trigger and look at the dialog to confirm (which I'm not going to do right now because I'm being insomniac and trying to walk away from bed for a short bit to reset), but doesn't it provide a "don't bother me about this again" checkbox?

If so, I think that is a reasonable setup and should be preserved.  If not, then that checkbox is all that reasonably needs to be added, and I still think the current behavior is the most reasonable default.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:33:22 am »

+1

I rely on this feature, honestly.  With massive tagging changes (which can apply to the in-file tags and go "live" immediately), it is good to have a stop-gap to prevent accidental massive tagging changes.  This comes in particularly handy in situations when, perhaps, you have the wrong panel or file-set selected and you try to make a Pane-tagging change.  So, you expected the tagging change to only apply to a single file or three, or maybe a full album, but you'd accidentally selected an entire Artist, Genre, Series, or Media Sub Type.  This warning flag "catches" those situations and prompts you to do a double-check.  If you pre-expect a large tagging change, it is a small matter to just click Yes.  As I mentioned, these changes are live immediately, and can actually be disk-intensive (and difficult to "cancel in place") if you accidentally apply them to a large file set.  Undo can be a solution, but usually it is a multi-step process to get yourself "restored" (writing tagging changes back to the files and whatnot), and I've had situations where undo completely fails me (say you apply a big change, and then something goes haywire, and you need to shut MC down while those tagging changes are still in-progress before you can even attempt an Undo).

I'd need to actually trigger and look at the dialog to confirm (which I'm not going to do right now because I'm being insomniac and trying to walk away from bed for a short bit to reset), but doesn't it provide a "don't bother me about this again" checkbox?

If so, I think that is a reasonable setup and should be preserved.  If not, then that checkbox is all that reasonably needs to be added, and I still think the current behavior is the most reasonable default.

I agree. Good explanation. Mr. Miyagi ...  ;D ;D

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:52:11 am »

I don't consider changing 100 or 150 genre tags from classical to romantic, a major change. And as mentioned, there's always "undo" if you do. Not to mention if the powers add a dismiss box then....

Then again I don't like anyone forcing stuff that's "for my good" on me.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 03:56:28 am »

To clarify, I don't want the message to dissapear, I agree with the suggestion to reword it to reflect what Matt said it was for and that is currently not the case.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 06:10:28 am »

Or another tack, make it real easy for the powers, up the trigger limit to 500. Or make it more interesting and a bit more work for the developers, let the user set the limit.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 10:17:46 am »

+1

I rely on this feature, honestly.  With massive tagging changes (which can apply to the in-file tags and go "live" immediately), it is good to have a stop-gap to prevent accidental massive tagging changes.  This comes in particularly handy in situations when, perhaps, you have the wrong panel or file-set selected and you try to make a Pane-tagging change.  So, you expected the tagging change to only apply to a single file or three, or maybe a full album, but you'd accidentally selected an entire Artist, Genre, Series, or Media Sub Type.  This warning flag "catches" those situations and prompts you to do a double-check.  If you pre-expect a large tagging change, it is a small matter to just click Yes.  As I mentioned, these changes are live immediately, and can actually be disk-intensive (and difficult to "cancel in place") if you accidentally apply them to a large file set.  Undo can be a solution, but usually it is a multi-step process to get yourself "restored" (writing tagging changes back to the files and whatnot), and I've had situations where undo completely fails me (say you apply a big change, and then something goes haywire, and you need to shut MC down while those tagging changes are still in-progress before you can even attempt an Undo).

If so, I think that is a reasonable setup and should be preserved.  If not, then that checkbox is all that reasonably needs to be added, and I still think the current behavior is the most reasonable default.

I agree.  It has saved my bacon a few times.

Bill

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 11:02:51 am »

It have saved me plenty of times as well. I'm a super clicker with the mouse. And I've accidentally dragged and dropped a lot of fields in the panes. I would not mind an option to disable it totally, but default is good as it is imo.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 11:10:53 am »

It have saved me plenty of times as well. I'm a super clicker with the mouse. And I've accidentally dragged and dropped a lot of fields in the panes. I would not mind an option to disable it totally, but default is good as it is imo.

I have had trouble with changing tags by accidentally dragging in the panes area. I asked for an option to make the panes area read-only but Matt would not hear of it.  Having a warning message about such tag changes is very important to me.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up