INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CUE file problems  (Read 5847 times)

psam

• World Citizen
CUE file problems
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:14:27 pm »

Ranged Playback (CUE files) issues not fixed yet.
1) The big flac/ape file containing all tracks is still imported as an extra long track of the album , and
2) some CUE files are imported wrong.
The following picture shows an example:

http://postimage.org/image/mwh709wll/
These JW Jones Albums are imported like shown in the picture. The number of tracks is correct, but instead of the individual track names I am getting the same name over and over again , while the duration and bitrate are the same for all tracks.
This is the CUE file:

REM GENRE Blues
REM DATE 2003
REM DISCID AC0DBB0E
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.99pb4"
PERFORMER "JW Jones"
TITLE "My Kind Of Evil"
FILE "JW Jones - My Kind Of Evil.ape" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Shake That Mess"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "What You Do To Me"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 03:55:40
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Ain't Gonna Lie"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 07:19:47
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "I Don't Know"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 10:47:14
    INDEX 01 10:48:15
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Cheating Woman"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 15:48:00
    INDEX 01 15:50:06
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Nothing On Me"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 19:42:54
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "You Can't Fool Me"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 23:51:19
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Slow Down"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 29:02:37
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Blue Monday"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 34:32:36
    INDEX 01 34:33:36
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "My Kind Of Evil"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 37:22:57
    INDEX 01 37:23:55
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "You've Got ME (Where You Want Me)"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 40:32:69
    INDEX 01 40:33:34
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Code Blue"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 45:15:34
    INDEX 01 45:16:35
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "Aching Pain"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 50:07:37
    INDEX 01 50:08:34
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    TITLE "Let's Have A Ball"
    PERFORMER "JW Jones"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 01 54:52:67

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
CUE file problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:23:18 pm »

Ranged Playback (CUE files) issues not fixed yet.
You are not referring to Ranged Playback, you are referring to CUE import issues.

The Ranged Playback issues are fixed (I checked), the CUE import issues are not fixed (and looking at the changelog, they were probably not addressed at all).

psam - I assume that you remembered to delete and re-import the CUE file and APE file that you referenced in your post ?

The issue where the Highest Numbered Track is imported improperly, when a CUE file is used, is still present.

Recap:
* When there is a CUE file present AND individual FLAC track files, the highest numbered track is tagged from the CUE file, while all other tracks use their existing internal tracks.  (In order to workaround this problem, I renamed the extension of all my cue files in those situations to ".file")

* When there is a CUE file present and a single FLAC file (or a single FLAC file and an embedded CUE sheet), the highest numbered track only is improperly tagged with duration of the entire album (all other tracks are normal).  However, when the highest numbered track is played, it plays with its correct duration, and the correct duration is shown in the "Player" at the top, while all the [Duration] field remains incorrect.

psam

• World Citizen
CUE file problems
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:09:39 pm »

You are not referring to Ranged Playback, you are referring to CUE import issues.

The Ranged Playback issues are fixed (I checked), the CUE import issues are not fixed (and looking at the changelog, they were probably not addressed at all).

psam - I assume that you remembered to delete and re-import the CUE file and APE file that you referenced in your post ?

The issue where the Highest Numbered Track is imported improperly, when a CUE file is used, is still present.

Recap:
* When there is a CUE file present AND individual FLAC track files, the highest numbered track is tagged from the CUE file, while all other tracks use their existing internal tracks.  (In order to workaround this problem, I renamed the extension of all my cue files in those situations to ".file")

* When there is a CUE file present and a single FLAC file (or a single FLAC file and an embedded CUE sheet), the highest numbered track only is improperly tagged with duration of the entire album (all other tracks are normal).  However, when the highest numbered track is played, it plays with its correct duration, and the correct duration is shown in the "Player" at the top, while all the [Duration] field remains incorrect.
Sorry, I did'nt know the exact meaning of the term "ranged playback" . Maybe I used it wrong. I am referring to two distinct problems, no reason to repeat them.

I don't have the first problem you mention. If there are 12 individual flac files in a folder along with a useless .cue file, there is no problem on my system. The 12 tracks are imported just fine...

Regarding the delete & re-import action, I am not sure we mean the same thing.
I went to "Audio" on the tree menu left side of MC, I searched for the album name, I selected all entries, I deleted them from my library and imported them again manually using Library-Media Import - Import a single folder, right?

kstuart

CUE file problems
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:54:38 pm »

Sorry, I did'nt know the exact meaning of the term "ranged playback" . Maybe I used it wrong. I am referring to two distinct problems, no reason to repeat them.

I don't have the first problem you mention. If there are 12 individual flac files in a folder along with a useless .cue file, there is no problem on my system. The 12 tracks are imported just fine...

Regarding the delete & re-import action, I am not sure we mean the same thing.
I went to "Audio" on the tree menu left side of MC, I searched for the album name, I selected all entries, I deleted them from my library and imported them again manually using Library-Media Import - Import a single folder, right?
There was a widely reported problem with the actual playback of files from a CUE sheet, even though they looked fine in the library.   glynor discovered it occurred with other situations involving playback of a "range", i.e 2:06 to 5:24, so the fix was named by the overall problem.

The problem with individual flac files seems to only occur in some cases.   It is only noticeable if the tag information in the flac files is different from the information in the cue file, otherwise one would have no way of detecting that it occurred.

The last part was that I wanted to make sure that you had imported the files with the new version (rather than just viewing them with the new version).

psam

• World Citizen
CUE file problems
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:06:45 pm »

The last part was that I wanted to make sure that you had imported the files with the new version (rather than just viewing them with the new version).
I see.

Yes, the files have been re-imported with the new version.

I updated my entire library using the Auto Import function.

I even deleted some albums from my library and re-imported them manually after that, but no luck.

Importing all these problematic albums (quite a few hundreds in my case) to a Foobar playlist works with no glitch whatsoever.

kray

• Recent member
CUE file problems
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:16:56 am »

A new playback problem with CUE file just emerges with this latest build (18.0.136).  No track can be played with its full length.  The playback jumps to the next track right at the moment when the next track starts prebuffering.  In other words, every track teminates at the position 2 to 20 seconds (according to the Prebuffering settings) before its end and then the playback suddenly switches to the next track...

It seems that the fix of the previous issue with CUE file now introduces a new issue.  I can't help to wonder how much longer we have to wait to see the playback with CUE file back to as normal as it should be (as before build 18.0.112).

psam

• World Citizen
CUE file problems
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 12:22:48 pm »

A new playback problem with CUE file just emerges with this latest build (18.0.136).  No track can be played with its full length.  The playback jumps to the next track right at the moment when the next track starts prebuffering.  In other words, every track teminates at the position 2 to 20 seconds (according to the Prebuffering settings) before its end and then the playback suddenly switches to the next track...

It seems that the fix of the previous issue with CUE file now introduces a new issue.  I can't help to wonder how much longer we have to wait to see the playback with CUE file back to as normal as it should be (as before build 18.0.112).
Same problem here.....

kstuart

CUE file problems
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »

A new playback problem with CUE file just emerges with this latest build (18.0.136).  No track can be played with its full length.  The playback jumps to the next track right at the moment when the next track starts prebuffering.  In other words, every track teminates at the position 2 to 20 seconds (according to the Prebuffering settings) before its end and then the playback suddenly switches to the next track...

It seems that the fix of the previous issue with CUE file now introduces a new issue.  I can't help to wonder how much longer we have to wait to see the playback with CUE file back to as normal as it should be (as before build 18.0.112).
I am not seeing this problem - I tried both external CUE file and embedded CUE sheet playback.

Perhaps it is dependent on other settings (which would explain why it was not caught in alpha and beta testing).

Do you have "memory playback" engaged ?

BTW, I do get a very short dropout at the point where your playback switches to the next track (i.e. the number of seconds in the prebuffering, prior to the end of the track), but it doesn't jump to the next track, there is just a very short dropout.

kray

• Recent member
CUE file problems
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:29 am »

I am not seeing this problem - I tried both external CUE file and embedded CUE sheet playback.

Perhaps it is dependent on other settings (which would explain why it was not caught in alpha and beta testing).

Do you have "memory playback" engaged ?

BTW, I do get a very short dropout at the point where your playback switches to the next track (i.e. the number of seconds in the prebuffering, prior to the end of the track), but it doesn't jump to the next track, there is just a very short dropout.

In order to find out a possible reason why you didn't see the problem I reported (Reply #11, confirmed by Reply #12), I did a little experiment on upgrading MC18 from build 18.0.112 to the latest build 18.0.136.  (Build 18.0.112 is the last version I found free of any known CUE sheet problems.)  The results are as follows:

1) Upgrading by direct installation without uninstalling 18.0.112 first, or by uninstalling 18.0.112 first but without checking the "Remove all Media Center 18 registry entries" option during unistallation:  CUE sheet Problem Not Seen!

2) Upgrading by unistalling 18.0.112 first and checking the above option during unistallation:  CUE sheet Problem Found!

To locate the problems on any MC18 build, a fresh installation without old registry records seems to be crucial...

kstuart

CUE file problems
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 11:08:43 am »

In order to find out a possible reason why you didn't see the problem I reported (Reply #11, confirmed by Reply #12), I did a little experiment on upgrading MC18 from build 18.0.112 to the latest build 18.0.136.  (Build 18.0.112 is the last version I found free of any known CUE sheet problems.)  The results are as follows:

1) Upgrading by direct installation without uninstalling 18.0.112 first, or by uninstalling 18.0.112 first but without checking the "Remove all Media Center 18 registry entries" option during unistallation:  CUE sheet Problem Not Seen!

2) Upgrading by unistalling 18.0.112 first and checking the above option during unistallation:  CUE sheet Problem Found!

To locate the problems on any MC18 build, a fresh installation without old registry records seems to be crucial...

That's excellent work !

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: CUE file problems
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 11:51:15 am »

@psam
I saved the exact CUE file listed above (JW Jones - My Kind Of Evil.ape) and imported to a new library.  It worked properly.

Are you certain that "JW Jones - My Kind Of Evil.ape" is sitting next to the CUE file and that you have permission to read it?

Could you create a new test library in MC and see if it will import to that library?

@kray
I couldn't reproduce the early track switch.

What between tracks mode are you using?

Also, are you saying it always happens if you uninstall, remove all settings, then reinstall and make a new library?  Does the 'Playback Range' field look reasonable for the files that don't play properly?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 12:03:12 pm »

I might add that I'm sorry about these problems.  With your help, we should be able to get them fixed soon.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kray

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:16:52 pm »

@psam
I saved the exact CUE file listed above (JW Jones - My Kind Of Evil.ape) and imported to a new library.  It worked properly.

Are you certain that "JW Jones - My Kind Of Evil.ape" is sitting next to the CUE file and that you have permission to read it?

Could you create a new test library in MC and see if it will import to that library?

@kray
I couldn't reproduce the early track switch.

What between tracks mode are you using?

Also, are you saying it always happens if you uninstall, remove all settings, then reinstall and make a new library?  Does the 'Playback Range' field look reasonable for the files that don't play properly?

My "Track Change" settings are as follows:

Switch tracks:  Gapless
Do not play silence (leading and trailing):  Uncheck
Use gapless for sequential album tracks:  Check

All other settings are left unchanged as default.  The problem always happens no matter how many times I tried (uninstall and remove registry entries then reinstall).  It doesn't matter whether the library is removed or not with uninstallation.  The 'Playback Range' field looks quite normal.

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 03:46:12 pm »

@psam

The CUE and ape files are in the same folder, r/w permissions are OK.
I created a new test library on my client PC, imported the same folder and it works fine.
How can I rebuild my existing library, without losing my customised views, playlists and so on?

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:18:44 pm »

The CUE and ape files are in the same folder, r/w permissions are OK.
I created a new test library on my client PC, imported the same folder and it works fine.
How can I rebuild my existing library, without losing my customised views, playlists and so on?

OK, It seemed to work for a while but I tried to import some new albums in the new library, and I got the same problem again.
All tracks but the last one import fine. The last one imports with a reported duration of some 43 minutes.     :(  :(  :(
This is one of the CUE files:

TITLE "Hai Hai"
PERFORMER "Roger Hodgson"
REM GENRE "Rock"
REM DATE "1987"
REM DISCNUMBER 1
REM TOTALDISCS 1
REM DISCID 6F0B7D0A
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN -1.95 dB
REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK 0.997803
FILE "Roger Hodgson - Hai Hai.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Right Place"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -2.62 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.997803
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "My Magazine"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -3.56 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.929657
    INDEX 00 04:05:45
    INDEX 01 04:06:25
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "London"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -0.85 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.856598
    INDEX 00 08:45:68
    INDEX 01 08:48:63
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "You Make Me Love You"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -1.83 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.727264
    INDEX 00 13:00:20
    INDEX 01 13:01:03
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Hai Hai"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -1.97 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.901276
    INDEX 00 18:09:28
    INDEX 01 18:10:25
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Who's Afraid"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -1.74 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.867676
    INDEX 00 23:39:00
    INDEX 01 23:41:48
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Desert Love"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN 0.59 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.782562
    INDEX 00 28:40:08
    INDEX 01 28:42:03
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Land Ho"
    SONGWRITER "Rick Davies"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -1.95 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.790588
    INDEX 00 34:08:28
    INDEX 01 34:11:20
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "House On The Corner"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN -1.91 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.858826
    INDEX 00 38:18:43
    INDEX 01 38:20:40
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Puppet Dance"
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN 0.04 dB
    REM REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.701294
    INDEX 00 43:42:10
    INDEX 01 43:44:45

kstuart

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 01:26:22 pm »

OK, It seemed to work for a while but I tried to import some new albums in the new library, and I got the same problem again.
All tracks but the last one import fine. The last one imports with a reported duration of some 43 minutes.     :(  :(  :(
I reported that problem earlier.

Note that if you play the last track, it will play normally and reports the normal length in the Player display.

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 12:12:42 pm »

I might add that I'm sorry about these problems.  With your help, we should be able to get them fixed soon.
Not there yet I'm afraid. CUE files still bugging me on version 143.

kstuart

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 12:43:50 pm »

Not there yet I'm afraid. CUE files still bugging me on version 143.
If you look in the changelog, there is no mention of it, so it was not yet worked on or included.
Pages: [1]   Go Up