INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD to PCM Conversions and Playback Issue  (Read 2388 times)

dragon76

• Recent member
DSD to PCM Conversions and Playback Issue
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:27:26 pm »

Hi all, was posting here earlier today as I have recently installed MC 18 and trying to learn things as quickly as possible. My current matter is as follows - I have several DSD music albums, which I want to play back thru MC. My DAC doesn't support native DSD stream, but I know that MC can do DSD to PCM conversion on the fly. At least I though so, but when I tried playing my DSD album I got the following error message "Failed to play...You may not have installed DirectShow filters for decoding this type of the file...Please install the appropriate filters...". I have no idea what the problem is and whether I indeed should install those filters. Can someone please provide some help with this? Very much appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DSD to PCm Conversation and Playback Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:29:14 pm »

dragon76

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 02:36:00 pm »

Hey JimH, thanks for the link, I've seen it before and it actually doesn't help. I forgot to mention that I already applied downsampling in the DSP Studio, and the error message I am getting is already after all the necessary setting applied. Must be something else, but I cannot figure it out. Any possible suggestions where shoudl I start? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 02:45:13 pm »

What file type are your DSD files?

Do you have the latest MC18 installed?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dragon76

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 02:55:10 pm »

What file type are your DSD files?

Do you have the latest MC18 installed?

Thanks.

I have just installed the most recent MC 18 version. I checked and my files are DSD 2.0. 1 bit / 2.8 MHz. I had no issues doing DSD to PCM with another media player, but very confused now with the MC after spending couple of hours tweaking various settings

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 02:56:51 pm »

I checked and my files are DSD 2.0. 1 bit / 2.8 MHz.

What's the file extension?

We support .DFF, .DSF, and .ISO.

dragon76

• Recent member
Re: DSD to PCM Conversions and Playback Issue
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 03:02:45 pm »

ISO extensions primarily

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 03:18:11 pm »

ISO extensions primarily

And when you drag-and-drop one of those ISO files into Media Center's Playing Now view, does it expand to individual tracks?

dragon76

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:22:59 pm »

Yes, Matt, it does expand into separate tracks and this is true for all my DSD albums. Therefore I was confused in the first place.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »

Yes, Matt, it does expand into separate tracks and this is true for all my DSD albums. Therefore I was confused in the first place.

That seems to mean we're parsing the file correctly, so I can't explain why it won't play.

Double-check that you've selected a bitdepth, sample rate, and channels in DSP Studio > Output Format (pick all of them so there's no variability for testing).

Then make sure regular files like MP3, APE, FLAC, etc. play.  Then try the DSD again.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 01:36:56 pm »

Hi all, was posting here earlier today as I have recently installed MC 18 and trying to learn things as quickly as possible. My current matter is as follows - I have several DSD music albums, which I want to play back thru MC. My DAC doesn't support native DSD stream, but I know that MC can do DSD to PCM conversion on the fly. At least I though so, but when I tried playing my DSD album I got the following error message "Failed to play...You may not have installed DirectShow filters for decoding this type of the file...Please install the appropriate filters...". I have no idea what the problem is and whether I indeed should install those filters. Can someone please provide some help with this? Very much appreciated.

The same exactly happened to me with a clean install of the .136 version on my new htpc. The only work around I could figure out was to uninstall and install an earlier version which then worked.

chrisr

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 08:03:29 pm »

I am having the same problem.  I am trying to stream DSD without converting to PCM and getting the same error message about needing a Directshow filter.  I had been streaming DSD successfully for months to a Playback Designs DAC; just did a new install because my PC had crashed; and now have this problem.

Streaming 44.1 PCM files works fine, only see the problem when streaming DSD.

Must be a problem with build 136.  I tried build 106 and it worked fine.
Digital: Playback Designs MPD-5 DAC, PC running JRiver
Amps: Halcro DM-10 pre, Krell FPB-400cx amp
Speakers: Wilson W/P 7 speakers, REL Stadium III sub
Cables: Nordost Valhalla PCs, ICs, SCs
Power: Furutech GTX-D(R) outlets, Nordost Thor conditioner, Dedicated 30A lines
Tweaks: HRS M3 isolation base
Home Theater: Oppo UDP-203 4K player, Anthem AVM60 processor, Krell FPB-450mcx center channel amp, Krell TAS amp (unique 7 channel), Wilson Watch center speaker
Pages: [1]   Go Up