INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 crashes on startup of DVD's on Windows 8 [Solved]  (Read 11016 times)

jrewing

• Recent member
MC18 crashes on startup of DVD's on Windows 8 [Solved]
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:21:09 am »

All DVD's I have tried makes MC18 crash just as the menu is about to appear. I use AnyDVD and Windows 8.

I tried uninstalling and rebooting and reinstalling with the latest version yesterday. I also tried disabling all plugins.
Log and dump:
http://www.friefro.no/jriver

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC18 crashes on startup of DVD's on Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:29:28 am »

Are you accessing the DVDs from an actual optical drive, or a network share for example?
I remember hearing some issues about network shares on Windows 8 and DVDs.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:35:30 pm »

Optical drives. Tried the built in and a usb drive. I watched a Blu Ray the other day, and that worked, except for some audio stutter.

I will try uploading the log later. (this site was down earlier)

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:55:28 pm »

JariH

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:52:54 pm »

After upgrading Media Center 18 to 18.0.136 I have experienced a few crashes, jerky video picture play back of a blu-ray disc, inability to play two new ripped Bluray
files from a hard drive using DVDfab passkey. Tried uninstalling and re-installing both Media center 18 and DVDfab passkey but still the same.
VLC would not open these files either saying they are FLV files?
Ripped the same problem Bluray movies with Handbrake as mkv files and JRiver media center will playback these files no problem?
Asus P8Z77 Deluxe, Windows 8 Pro 64, Nero Start Smart, Kwik media.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 07:07:31 am »

I don't recognize this as an MC problem.  Sorry.  It's possible, but seems unlikely.

JariH reported that it happened with another player.

and that "Ripped the same problem Bluray movies with Handbrake as mkv files and JRiver media center will playback these files no problem..."

Newer discs have some newer "protection" methods.  Updating the reader software (AnyDVD, etc.) may help.

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:58 am »

I don't think my problem has anything to do with JariH's problem. My problem is more specific. Every DVD I have tried makes MC18 crash just as the DVD-menu is about to start.

And I have updated AnyDVD HD.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC18 always crashes on startup of DVD's on Windows 8
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 07:54:37 am »

Does any other player work?

Have you installed any new software recently?

Try another PC or another drive.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:14 am »

Does any other player work?.
This is a good tip.

Does WMC play the DVD correctly? Have you got the Win8 Media Pack or whatever it is called? The DVD menu is dependent on the Microsoft DVD navigator filter which might not be shipped with Win8 anymore. I think you need to install the media pack for the right directshow filters for DVD.

If you have it installed, then I'm stumped (I'm still on Win7 and not upgrading anytime soon!)

SBR

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 08:33:55 am »

This is a good tip.

Does WMC play the DVD correctly? Have you got the Win8 Media Pack or whatever it is called? The DVD menu is dependent on the Microsoft DVD navigator filter which might not be shipped with Win8 anymore. I think you need to install the media pack for the right directshow filters for DVD.

Correct.

Windows 8 no longer comes with built-in DVD Playback Support.  To add this, you need to add the Windows 8 Media Center Pack ($9.99).  However, the cheap upgrade is only available for Windows 8 Pro.  If you are on Windows 8 Standard, you'll need to also upgrade to Pro.  You can do both at once by purchasing the Windows 8 Pro Pack ($99.99).

This provides the Microsoft DVD Navigator that is required for DVD Playback in Windows Media Player, MC, and other similar players.

Alternatively, just rip them to MKV.  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 10:53:23 am »

Thanks for interesting replies! I haven't seen that  Media Center Pack is  required  to play DVD's in MC18.
::)

Anyway, I 'll do some tests, and perhaps ripping is a good idea :-)

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:11:45 am »

I installed VLC, and that played the DVD without trouble.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 03:32:48 pm »

VLC isn't a directshow based player and has its own DVD navigator library. Possibly based on the libdvdnav code, not sure.

MC is based firmly on directshow filters/dll's. There has been an attempt at creating an opensource DVD navigator filter which saw some resurgence over the past year, but seemed still unstable the last time I checked the doom9 forum. I suppose there wasn't much need since the Microsoft one came with XP/Vista/Win7.

SBR

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 04:20:22 pm »

I installed Windows Media Center for Win8. Reinstalled MC18, but it didn't help. MC18 can rip the DVD, but crashes in the same way when I try playing the rip.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 04:59:28 pm »

I installed Windows Media Center for Win8. Reinstalled MC18, but it didn't help. MC18 can rip the DVD, but crashes in the same way when I try playing the rip.

Hmmm...

I haven't actually tested it on my Win8 box (I don't have much use for DVDs), but I can try it out next week.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 06:47:11 pm »

I use Windows8 Pro without the Media Center Pack and MC18 plays DVD's fine.
I don't even have windows media player installed.
4 PC's all without any media features from Microsoft and playback works fine with all of them

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 12:52:47 pm »

Well, I have provided the log and dump. I don't know what else to do.

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 01:00:13 am »

Windows Media Center plays DVD's just fine, so as far as I understand there must be an issue with MC18.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:53 am »

Is there a problem with all DVDs in MC for you or just a few? I read somewhere that there was a problem with permissions with some homemade DVDs but commercial ones were OK.

Try installing the latest MC from the top of the board.
Try a reboot of the PC (sounds silly, but it has often sorted out weird glitches for me).

Are you having a problem with setting Options->Video to Red October Standard and Red October HQ?

Can you think of any non-standard software loaded on your PC that might interfere? Weird virus checker, DVD decrypter etc. Old self-installed versions of LAV or MadVR?

Without Win8 I'm stabbing in the dark. I haven't heard of similar reports elsewhere, so it might be something difficult to reproduce.

Maybe a custom setup would help with Red October plus Custom with adding in the Microsoft filters. Dunno.

SBR

PS I'm surprised at this:

4 PC's all without any media features from Microsoft and playback works fine with all of them
All I've read about is Win8 *not* supporting DVD without the media pack.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 04:29:36 pm »

PS I'm surprised at this:
  All I've read about is Win8 *not* supporting DVD without the media pack.

I was able to do some initial testing of this on my Win 8 Pro HTPC tonight.  I wasn't able to get very far, but here's what I've found so far...

My HTPC is running Windows 8 Pro but does not (yet) have the Media Center Pack installed.  I have a license for it (from when they were giving it away for free), but I hadn't gotten around to installing it yet.  MC is NOT able to play back a standard CSS encrypted DVD.  It does not crash, but I get an oddball error.  Basically, it reports it as though the disc is no longer in the tray (MC is unable to play X because the disc X cannot be found").  I tested with a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  I do not have AnyDVD or anything similar installed on this box.

The disc itself is fine, and VLC plays it okay (as expected).  I have not, yet, been able to test the same disc on my Windows 7 install of MC, but I'll try that in a bit and report back.

That's all I have right now, but it certainly does appear that (for CSS encrypted discs, at least) you need to have the Media Center pack installed on Windows 8, as expected.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 04:42:48 pm »

(Unrelated to the OPs issue)
If you got the free Media Center pack, and never activated it, it expired on January 31st.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 04:49:58 pm »

I'm also unable to play the same disc using my Windows 7 Pro VM on my Macbook (in Parallels), with the same error.

The disc plays fine in the built-in Apple DVD player.  However, I haven't been able to get VLC on Windows to play the same disc properly in the VM, so it is possible something is funky related to the VM.  I need to go down and test on my real Windows 7 box, which I should be able to do soon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 04:51:01 pm »

(Unrelated to the OPs issue)
If you got the free Media Center pack, and never activated it, it expired on January 31st.

I haven't tried it yet, but I read beforehand (on Paul Thurrott's page) that this wasn't the case.  The offer expired, but if you have the key, you should be able to use it whenever.

Anyway, that's what Mr. Thurrott said.  I'll have to try it later.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »

Same exact error on my real Windows 7 box, using the current beta build of MC.  Same disc works in MPC-HC and Windows Media Player on the same box.

DVD playback seems to be broken for me.  I don't get a crash, but playback does not work at all.  Again, I don't have anything like AnyDVD installed on any of these systems.  Is this now required for DVD Playback too, even on Windows 7?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 05:17:08 pm »

I'd like to add...

DRM is stupid.  That is all.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 08:44:12 pm »

Quote from me:

All my DVD playback is working with and without anydvd running.
I just checked a few discs without anydvd running and they play fine.
Rips and actual discs both work equally well.

I have 3 keys for the free media center pack that i guess expired now since i did nothing with them.
I'm curious if i should care. Has it been confirmed necessary?

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 09:52:42 pm »

Same exact error on my real Windows 7 box, using the current beta build of MC.  Same disc works in MPC-HC and Windows Media Player on the same box.

DVD playback seems to be broken for me.  I don't get a crash, but playback does not work at all.  Again, I don't have anything like AnyDVD installed on any of these systems.  Is this now required for DVD Playback too, even on Windows 7?
Oh no !   :(

I have to admit that I have been slack of late and not updated to latest. I'm still on v130something (maybe 131?). Playing DVD rips in folder structure daily now for my little boy. No instability whatsoever. Whatever version I'm on is the most stable MC I've ever used since v16. I have daily recordings scheduled (DVB-S) and daily playback of TV shows and DVD movies. All mostly controlled by Ivy who is notorious for crashing MC.

Quote from me:

All my DVD playback is working with and without anydvd running.
I just checked a few discs without anydvd running and they play fine.
Rips and actual discs both work equally well.
out of interest - what directshow filters does MC show as playing? Right click -> directshow filters -> copy to clipboard or just list what it says. I'm really puzzled! Maybe Win8 does come with all the right files, just not the actual WMC or WMP until you get the media pack??  ?
Glynor - since you have a fairly unadulterated win8 box, are the DVD filters already there? I think the main DVD navigation file is qdvd.dll in the system folder.

SBR

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 10:36:49 pm »

Win 8 Upgrade from 7. Using portable MC install:
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Output 1' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AI44, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Input Pin 'EVR Input2'
            Connected to pin '~Subpicture Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AI44, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: R:\Portable\JRiver\JRiver18\Application Data\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Line 21 Decoder'
        CLSID: {E4206432-01A1-4BEE-B3E1-3702C8EDC574}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin '~Line21 Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input1' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AI44, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'AC3' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        CLSID: {212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\msmpeg2vdec.dll
        Input Pin 'Video Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Input Pin 'Subpicture Input'
            Connected to pin 'SubPicture' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Video Output 1'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Output Pin '~Line21 Output'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin '~Subpicture Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input2' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AI44, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Video Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        CLSID: {9B8C4620-2C1A-11D0-8493-00A02438AD48}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\qdvd.dll
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Output Pin 'AC3'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'Subpicture Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO

Win 8 Upgrade from 7. Using regular MC install:
Filter Graph Info:

Host:
        Input Pin 'In'

Filter 'madVR'
        CLSID: {E1A8B82A-32CE-4B0D-BE0D-AA68C772E423}
        Host: C:\Users\Batman\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\madvr\madvr.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
        Host: C:\Users\Batman\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVVideo.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'madVR'
        Input Pin 'Subtitle Input'

Host: C:\Users\Batman\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'

Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        Output Pin 'Video'
        Output Pin 'AC3'
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'Subtitle Input' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 10:37:32 pm »

Win 8 clean install. Portable MC:
Filter Graph Info:

Host:
        Input Pin 'In'

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Output 1' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder'
        Input Pin 'EVR Input2'
            Connected to pin '~Subpicture Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'

Host: R:\Portable\JRiver\JRiver18\Application Data\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'

Filter 'Line 21 Decoder'
        CLSID: {E4206432-01A1-4BEE-B3E1-3702C8EDC574}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin '~Line21 Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input1' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'

Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'

Filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        CLSID: {212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\msmpeg2vdec.dll
        Input Pin 'Video Input'
        Input Pin 'Subpicture Input'
        Output Pin 'Video Output 1'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        Output Pin '~Line21 Output'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder'
        Output Pin '~Subpicture Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input2' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'

Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Video Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        Output Pin 'Video'
        Output Pin 'AC3'
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'Subpicture Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'

Win 8 clean install. Regular MC:
Filter Graph Info:

Host:
        Input Pin 'In'

Filter 'madVR'
        CLSID: {E1A8B82A-32CE-4B0D-BE0D-AA68C772E423}
        Host: C:\Users\Batman\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\madvr\madvr.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
        Host: C:\Users\Batman\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVVideo.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'madVR'
        Input Pin 'Subtitle Input'

Host: C:\Users\Batman\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'

Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
        Output Pin 'Output'

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        Output Pin 'Video'
        Output Pin 'AC3'
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'Subtitle Input' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:05 pm »

Thanks.

Seems I have been infected by Microsoft disinformation.

This thread:
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/windows-8-does-your-installation-have-an-ms-dvd-navigator.114371/

also confirms that the filters are present in any Win8 setup including Enterprise where you can't even get the Media pack!

Maybe I will upgrade to win8 afterall.

SBR

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 05:54:34 am »

Hmmm....

Curiouser and curiouser.

To be clear, I only tried that one DVD.  But it didn't work on anything I tried it with.  So, something is funky in there...

Thanks.

Seems I have been infected by Microsoft disinformation.

The more I think about it, I think the part "left out" was exclusively about MPEG-2 licensing, so it would be the MPEG-2 decoder that they left out.  MC uses LAV for that anyway, so it shouldn't have an impact in many cases.

But the error I'm seeing is entirely different.  Its like it can't read or see the disc itself, which has nothing to do with the decoder filters (it never gets that far).

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 06:21:04 am »

The more I think about it, I think the part "left out" was exclusively about MPEG-2 licensing, so it would be the MPEG-2 decoder that they left out.
I'm not so sure now about that either. The graph captured above for the portable installs show the Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder in there as well.....
Looks like they are contravening their own licensing terms if the MPEG-2 decode license isn't provided but the decoder is!

That's the good thing about life. You learn something new every day.

SBR

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 06:30:39 am »

I guess this still needs fixing since the OP (+/- glynor) still has a problem. Maybe Matt can have a look at the crash log when he is back at the end of the week.

I still am on 18.0.131 and all the DVDs I've tried have been fine, menus and all. I won't have the opportunity to test more recent versions until at least next week. I need to keep my system as stable as possible this week since I'm not around much at home to fix it! I'd have a very narked toddler (and wife) if his Thomas the Tank Engine DVD stopped working!

SBR

hifi25nl

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 04:43:35 pm »

I remember that jriver will always crash with nividia 3d enabled in nvidia settings and automatic refresh change in jriver settings.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »

I haven't yet tested again with another DVD, but it certainly did NOT work with that fear and loathing disc.

Multiple machines, multiple hardware configs, and different OSes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 06:42:57 pm »

I tested with a different DVD today:  The Sopranos, Season 1, Disc 2.

Worked fine.  So, my issue does seem to be disc-specific.  If anyone can tell me how to rip an iso that they can use to recreate the problem (which could be DRM related), I'm happy to do so.  Heck, I'd mail you the disc.  I have many copies of the movie, though only that one disc.  I'd probably just buy it on BluRay though...

In any case, if anyone is interested in figuring out why my copy of MC won't play this Fear and Loathing disc, when both MPC-HC and VLC will, poke me with a PM or something.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 06:54:53 pm »

You're not working remotely, are you? I ran into an odd issue that I thought was disc/Win8 related about a month ago, but it was because I was accessing my MC machine via the RDP protocol. The RDP virtual video driver does not play nice with DVD DRM.

Switched back to VNC and all works fine.

Sounds like a long-shot, but worth asking...
brad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 06:58:02 pm »

Nope.

Local boxes (multiple, if you read what I wrote above).

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 01:24:09 am »

So, no fix for this? MC18 also crashes when I try viewing MP4.

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 11:00:34 am »

I haven't had any trouble with DVDs or video files in MC18 on Windows 8 so far. (though Blu-ray has given me some trouble) And this is without Windows Media Center installed.

• What is your hardware?
  • Are you using the latest version of MC18? (18.0.158)
  • Are you using Red October Standard or HQ?
  • Are you using hardware acceleration?

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 11:35:35 am »

I posted the log/crash report, but I don't have the impression anyone looked at it. I'm guessing the information is in there.

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:44 am »

I posted the log/crash report, but I don't have the impression anyone looked at it. I'm guessing the information is in there.
Well I'm not a developer, so most of the information in the logs is useless to me. It does say that you're using a very old version though. (18.0.106) Updating to the latest version (Help > Update Channels > Latest) would be the first thing I'd do. Nothing in there seems to give details of the system you're running it on though.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 12:02:12 pm »

Your crashlog says the crash is in libaften.dll, which is an AC-3 encoder. Do you have AC-3 output/reencoding turned on, and if so, try turning that off? (Just to pin-point the crash, if it works after we know what to blame)

And as 6233638 pointed out, try creating a log with a more recent version. If a developer would look at it now, having a recent version may help.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 12:20:41 pm »

I also have problems with dvd playback but with Windows 7.

Today i tried to start a ripped (VIDEO_TS) DVD.Playback was jerky and stuttering.
Stopped Playback and starting the movie again fixed the problem.
I can't exactly say,when this problem began,because i didn't watch dvd's a while ago.
But it was working earlier and i didn't change anything in the system meanwhile.
I also think there is a strange problem with dvd playback going on.

I have freezes from time to time,too and sometimes MC crashes.Most time it happened when autoimport was working in the background and i was browsing through library.

Using latest Build,Windows 7 & AnyDVD->latest Updates installed.
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:14 pm »

Your crashlog says the crash is in libaften.dll, which is an AC-3 encoder. Do you have AC-3 output/reencoding turned on, and if so, try turning that off? (Just to pin-point the crash, if it works after we know what to blame)

And as 6233638 pointed out, try creating a log with a more recent version. If a developer would look at it now, having a recent version may help.

As far as I know, everything is on default. I'll post crash reports later.

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 03:46:59 pm »

Here's a new crash report with the latest stable version of MC18. This is from when I tried an MP4.

http://www.friefro.no/jriver/JRiver%20Log%202013-04-02%2022-33-29.zip

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2013, 01:11:59 am »

I run it on a HP Compaq 8510w laptop.

Intel®
 CoreTM 2 Duo
NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M
And I have replaced the HDD with an SSD

jrewing

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2013, 12:18:23 pm »

I finally got a useful answer on another thread:

"Could you try disabling this in DSP Studio > Output Format > Output surround sound as Dolby Digital"

And that did the trick!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2013, 12:38:59 pm »

Thats what i said a few posts above, just not in those words. You said it was all default settings. :P
For clarity, Dolby Digital == AC-3
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up