INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save video cover .jpg and Sidecar .xml files in a separate folder?  (Read 7916 times)

jkauff

• World Citizen

I'd like to put all of my movie cover art and info files into a separate folder from the movies themselves. Is this possible, or being considered for a future release?

yannis

• World Citizen
Re: Save video cover .jpg and Sidecar .xml files in a separate folder?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:37:35 am »

good idea. +1

It might help a lot in cases where the files are stored in ext. HDs - right now, if they're switched off, we get an error message when editing the library fields.

stezie

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:13:58 pm »

I will also need this. I have my media in a shared folder. It has read only access. Changing this is not open to discussion, as I learned a lesson years ago when I used itunes and it rearranged my compilation albums into artist/album/song. I had 40gb of music then, im now currently at 70gb and dont trust any media software to update my tags or arrange my library.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 02:38:13 pm »

I will also need this. I have my media in a shared folder. It has read only access. Changing this is not open to discussion, as I learned a lesson years ago when I used itunes and it rearranged my compilation albums into artist/album/song. I had 40gb of music then, im now currently at 70gb and dont trust any media software to update my tags or arrange my library.
If you don't trust MC, you should look for other software.  MC won't move your files unless you tell it to.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:16:00 pm »

That being said, I don't think the request is unreasonable.   I might actually use this options if it becomes available.

+1

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:14:32 am »

I would also like to move those files to another non-indexed location.

You can disable creation of XML files though:

I should probably do that. I'm not sure there's actually any reason for them. I assume Media Center stores the information in its own database already, and I doubt other programs are going to be reading that XML file.
Perhaps they should be disabled by default? I'm not sure if I can just delete the ones that already exist though.

I have my media in a shared folder. It has read only access. Changing this is not open to discussion, as I learned a lesson years ago when I used itunes and it rearranged my compilation albums into artist/album/song.
iTunes has the option to manage your files enabled by default. Media Center does not move your files unless you tell it to.
And Media Center has a powerful expression language that would allow you to easily fix the damage that iTunes had done in seconds.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 02:42:10 am »

Let me note a kind of discrepancy here. When MC is used to move video files, the related XMLs are moved in the new place ALONG with the covers. But any SRTs, SMIs, SUBs etc do not move along, even if they have the same name as the video file. I find this behavior conflicting and I think it might lead to problems with inexperienced users.

If I wanted to change my folder structure to move my files in on movie per folder, then I'd have to manually move the remaining files to their respective folders. I think MC is far to smart to let something like this happen (and it's a major letdown that it also happens with covers and other files when music files are moved).
Pages: [1]   Go Up