INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ8 & Video  (Read 699 times)

chaznet

• World Citizen
MJ8 & Video
« on: April 05, 2002, 12:02:38 pm »

Overall, it seems like including video was an afterthought in MJ8.  Zoom settings buried in a properties menu, no on-screen controls when using in windowed-mode, etc.  Is this because the software is currently  beta?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
RE:MJ8 & Video
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2002, 12:13:48 pm »

You think video in 8 was an afterthought? You must not have tried version 7. They've done a lot of work in this area for version 8. The reason certain features are buried in a properties menu is because MJ is using Windows Media Player's video playback engine (why reinvent the wheel?).

Besides, why are you using Zoom to change the size of the video when you can just change the size of the display window and get the same result?

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2002, 12:38:22 pm »

Yes, I used version 7 -- but not for video Next Page

Regardless of what engine is being used, having basic controls in the player window is pretty much a standard -- not a debate topic (having a bad day?).  Same applies to basic zoom controls.  

Often, I prefer to view a video at the size which it was encoded -- kind of hard to do by manually resizing a window.  While resizing the window to change the video size can be a convenience, it doesn't necessarily need to be the only default.  A quicker way to get a 100%/200% zoom would be a nice addition, as would an option to set your preferred intitial default zoom level.

Might be none of this is possible, no harm in asking...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2002, 02:12:42 pm »

Yes, I am having a bad (long, busy and tiring) day, as a matter of fact. Sorry if I inadvertently took it out on you.

I think the current video controls are pretty much finalized. Probably the reason there isn't a conveinent zoom feature is because nobody really requested it early on in 8's beta stages. After reading your post, I played around with zoom controls and I have to agree with you now, that a convenient zoom control would be nice. I typically view video at full screen from across the room, so I never thought that much about it before. A zoom slider (if possible - since it's not their engine I don't know how much control they have over it) would be nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up