INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto import  (Read 1608 times)

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Auto import
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:02:37 pm »

I'm wondering whether or not auto import is working with 18.0.142?

I believe that i have it setup, and it's set to "run in background", but it doesn't seem to be running.  Do I have to do something to kick it off?  And/or is it just waiting to be implemented?

Thanks,
gk

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Auto import
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:10:32 pm »

It isn't implemented yet.

For now, you have to run it manually.  They'll fix it, but they're trying to get the basic playback and UI stuff straightened out first, I think.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

kiwi

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:28:10 pm »

Cool, that's all good.  Just was wondering... no biggie either way.

kiwi

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:38:25 pm »

I haven't used the windows version in a while, but are the Auto Import directory settings per library?  Or global?  I'm hopeful that they will be per library.  I like having two different libraries that have their files in different locations.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 07:56:33 pm »

I haven't used the windows version in a while, but are the Auto Import directory settings per library?

Yes.  Per Library.  This works now.  You can set up the Auto-Import fully, and it works when you choose Run Auto-Import Now, but it doesn't actually yet actually "monitor" the file locations.

If you ever do funky things with your Library files, read this (otherwise, ignore it):

Make sure you don't try to clone Libraries from outside the application, though, as this messes the system up (and confused me a while back).  If you need to create a duplicate of an existing Library, you need to do it from within MC using the Clone Library function in the Library Management part of the Tree under Playing Now.  If, instead, you copy and paste the library folder contents themselves to a new location, and then add that new Library, they get added with the same GUID and it messes up the Auto-Import settings (they switch together).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:05:15 pm »

By the way, some of the new Mac users might not know this about MC's Auto-Import system...  I recently explained to a couple Windows users a bit about how it works, but long-story-short, it does not simply "scan" the selected directories on a recurring basis.  Instead, MC uses filesystem events, much like Dropbox, to detect changes as they occur and act on only those files.

This code is, obviously, quite OS and filesystem dependent.  OSX has the same facilities, and JRiver is going to implement it the same way on OSX, but they haven't written (or finished, perhaps it is partially done and disabled) that OS-specific code yet.

kiwi

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:44:55 pm »

That's a lot of really good info.

On a separate note, the auto-import config seems to be global on my instance, when I switch libraries, they all have the same auto-import directory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up