INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Video Setup  (Read 1925 times)

Nyal Mellor

• Recent member
MC Video Setup
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:32:58 pm »

Hi I am part way through set up of a HTPC. I could not find much documentation on how to setup the video side of my HTPC for proper output.

Couple of questions:

- does MC output 16-235 or 0-255 levels when playing a blu-ray?
- does the video card configuration (I have integrated Intel graphics on the new DH77EB mobo) change MC's video output?
- what's the process to go through to ensure blu ray playback from MC is correct and will be the same as from a standalone blu ray player?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: MC Video Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:40:56 am »

So I'm guessing that you are using an Intel IGP so you may find the RO Std is the best (pending on your content) and hence it will use windows EVR.  If that is the case the range will be determined by your Graphics Driver.  If you use RO HQ it will use madVR and you have the choice of using either 16-235 or 0-255 from the renderer as well as what may be set by the driver.  The best bet is to use a test pattern to see what is correct as your TV/Monitor may or may not support a choice of 16-235 / 0-255 range.
JRiver CEO Elect

Nyal Mellor

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:54:46 am »

Hi yes it's an onboard graphics card with an i7 3770s processor. I tried out RO HQ and there didn't seem to be any issues. CPU and memory utilization went up a couple of percent, that's it. What's 'EVR'?

Is there a good source of test patterns that can be used on the PC?

I did read about being able to set MadVRs output ranges but couldn't figure out bring up that menu, it didn't seem obvious.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:43:03 am »

madVR's default is 0-255, which is usually the right call. Make sure your TV settings for the HDMI input that you use are set at PC levels.

The madVR settings are accessible through the system tray when the renderer is in use (i.e. you are playing back a video file using ROHQ). Generally you should leave it alone if you aren't having problems and/or don't know what you are doing.

The i7 should be fine to use ROHQ.

This may be of help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Playback_Options
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Connection_Type

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:45:47 am »

EVR is Microsoft's Enhanced Video Renderer.  It's part of Windows.

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:52:29 pm »

I have been trying to figure out video level settings in madvr myself.  If I select my tv and ati card to full 0-255 then leave madvr at default pc setting (0-255) I get crushed blacks I.e. nothing displayed below 16 on a test pattern. The picture looks fine to me though and way better than setting madvr to tv levels which shows btb but washes out my screen in a gray haze. I wish there were clear instructions on how to configure everything.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:55 pm »

Somewere on the long list of ideas for MC is some built in video test patterns with the ability to toggle settings so you can see the impact. ... but it is a loooong list of ideas.
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:01:11 pm »

I wish there were clear instructions on how to configure everything.

+1
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 02:14:38 pm »

I have been trying to figure out video level settings in madvr myself.  If I select my tv and ati card to full 0-255 then leave madvr at default pc setting (0-255) I get crushed blacks I.e. nothing displayed below 16 on a test pattern. The picture looks fine to me though and way better than setting madvr to tv levels which shows btb but washes out my screen in a gray haze. I wish there were clear instructions on how to configure everything.

Vroom I had the exact same problem you had (crushed blacks with everything set to 0-255) and it was crazy because there was literally no combination of brightness or contrast settings that would let anything below 16 show up on my test patterns.  I was pulling my hair out, and then I found a thread where someone mentioned that nvidia cards sometimes don't actually output 0-255 even when they're set to do so, but that the madvr directory in JRiver has a tool that will fix that configuration.

So I ran the tool, and instant fix.  No more crushed blacks and everything works right.  Not sure if you have the same problem, but if you do it's a 15 second fix that would otherwise never be obvious (because the card says it's outputting at application settings, and the application is set to 0-255).

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 03:22:04 pm »

I have an ATI card though I'm aware of the NVIDIA hack to get the proper output. I'm starting to wonder though if my ATI control panel is lying to me.

vroom

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 05:49:05 pm »

I'd really like to find out what long time MC users have things set to when using an HTPC for both HQ video via ROHQ and PC gaming. From the lurking that I have done here and elsewhere it seems that not everyone realizes that calibrating a TV for PC use and set top player box use (i.e. Blu Ray player) are different things. They are aren't they?

Also, do most people here just not care about seeing BTB and WTW on a test pattern?

There is also the matter of naming a TV's HDMI input which affects what settings are available. For my Samsung PN60E6500 plasma if I name an HDMI input PC it disables all setup presets except for Standard and Entertain. In addition all color management in the TV is disabled and must be done through the computer. The consequence all the color calibration I did through the movie option is disabled.

No wonder the living room is slow to adopt the PC.

Pages: [1]   Go Up