INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24/96 and 24/192 is crashing and restarting PC. Help?!  (Read 3356 times)

KLJTech

• Recent member
24/96 and 24/192 is crashing and restarting PC. Help?!
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:23:34 am »

My JRiver Media Center ver. 18.0.106 has been crashing while playing 24/96 24/192 audio, though it will play the music just fine for a while and then boom the app crashes and the PC restarts.

I'm using the S/PDIF 75 Ohm coaxial (RCA) output from my Asus Xonar Essence STX on my Windows 7 x64 PC feeding the coaxial input on the Parasound Zdac. I'm using the latest drivers for the soundcard.

In the Control Panel under Sound /Digital Output the Asus STX  is shown as the controller. In Digital Output Properties, Under Supported Formats all 4 sample rates are checked as the STX supports all four as does the Parasound DAC. Under the Advanced tab I have both boxes checked under Exclusive Mode. Those are the Allow app to take exclusive control and Give exclusive mode app priority.  

NOW, on that same tab (Control Panel/Advanced) 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality) is already selected. Is that the correct setting since I'm play both 16 bit and 24 bit audio?

In MC I've set the Output Mode to WASAPI and WASAPI Event Style (Asus STX Digital output is selected as the device) and both have crashed at some point while listening. Output Mode Settings have Open device for exclusive access checked and Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package Unchecked.

DSP Studio Output Format has Bitdepth set as Source Bitdepth.

I'm looking for MC not only to play without crashing but I also want it to play bit-perfect. At this point when I play a 16 bit audio file it is shown as a 16 bit file and the sample rate is correct as well, when I play 24 bit audio the bit rate & sample rate are once again shown correctly.  

I'm new to JRiver, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I've read page after page on the help files but I do't know what I have set incorrectly OR if I need to update to a newer beta version of MC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, while the MC is playing it sounds great with both 16 bit and 24 bit audio...I just need it to stop crashing and restarting the computer. Do I need to change a setting or update to a newer beta version of MC?

Thank you!
-Kevin

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: 24/96 and 24/192 is crashing and restarting PC. Help?!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:51:45 am »

You could try the current version (available in a thread in this Forum).  I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

For the STX to send digital data to a DAC, you need to have Bitstreaming selected in MediaCenter options.

You wrote: "NOW, on that same tab (Advanced) 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality) is already selected. Is that the correct setting since I'm play both 16 bit and 24 bit audio? "

That is the same for any software player, and you should be able to find the answer to that in Google.

KLJTech

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:10:39 pm »

I didn't have Bitstreaming/S/PDIF selected in the settings of MC...I'll give that a try.

It's odd because it's been playing everything just fine until I started playing more 24 bit audio (I don't have any MP3's) and the player is seeing each file in the correct bit and sample rate but 24 bit audio is crashing far too often.

Thank you!

If anyone can see anything else I may have missed or have set incorrectly please give me a heads up. Thanks so much.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:32:18 pm »

My JRiver Media Center ver. 18.0.106 has been crashing while playing 24/96 24/192 audio, though it will play the music just fine for a while and then boom the app crashes and the PC restarts.

How is the PC restarting?  Blue screen?

KLJTech

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:35:10 pm »

When it crashes you see a blue screen for half a second and then it just restarts on it's own just fine.

I haven't had time to try it yet but I'm hoping that the issue was that I didn't have MC set for Bitstreaming yet it's worked perfectly for a couple months with these same setting while playing 16 bit audio. It'll play 24 bit files for half and hour sometimes and then when you go to select another album or just track forward it'll crash.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Kevin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 06:51:41 pm »

A blue screen is a hardware or driver problem.

KLJTech

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:47:23 am »

I can't say that I've always seen a blue screen when it crashes, I saw what appeared to be a blue screen for about half a second when it crashed once this weekend. It'll play 16 bit audio 24/7 for days and days because I've had it do so while burning in new gear. It's never crashed while playing a 16 bit file. It may play 24 bit audio for an hour...maybe more but usually it will crash at some point and its always while playing higher rez audio.

I'm hoping that it was user error due to me not having bit-streaming checked...we'll see.

KLJTech

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:32:22 pm »

Today playing 24/96 audio and JRiver MC 18 hard locked...which I guess is better than crashing and restarting the computer but I must still be doing something wrong with regards to the settings.

I'm using my Asus Xonar Essence STX S/PDIF output to Parasound Zdac 75 Ohm Coaxial input. I had MC set to WASAPI Event Style and Bitstreaming: Yes (S/PDIF). Nothing checked in DSP Output.

Any ideas?

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 07:39:07 pm »

I could be mistaken but I didn't think that SPDIF supported high def formats.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 07:41:37 pm »

MC 18 newest version (149) keeps shutting down when playing videos.  No error.  No blue screen.  Just shuts off and must be reloaded.  Is a pain when watching and then keep on having to run back and reload the pgm

This has been happening since I upgraded to most current version.  No blue screen.  just shuts down

windows 7 64 bit

dave

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 06:25:34 am »

Apologies to Kevin, I don't mean to hijack this thread.....

Dave, was .146 stable for you?

MC 18 newest version (149) keeps shutting down when playing videos.  No error.  No blue screen.  Just shuts off and must be reloaded.  Is a pain when watching and then keep on having to run back and reload the pgm

This has been happening since I upgraded to most current version.  No blue screen.  just shuts down

windows 7 64 bit

dave
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 06:50:31 am »

Yes.  It was stable.  Never had any issues until upgraded to this version.

are there any logs that I can upload?

compcond

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 09:44:56 pm »

I would try downloading (and then burning to a CD) Microsoft Memory Test utility and let it run overnight.  If this is a Dell, HP, or other ODM machine there may already be a test built in.

I'm guessing 24 bit playback is using more RAM and it may be touching on a bad bit in one of the chips.

If I'm wrong its cost a $.25 coaster and $.10 worth of electricity.

KLJTech

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 01:08:03 pm »

Regarding 24/192 audio not being supported over 75 Ohm Coaxial via the S/PDIF output, the RCA S/PDIF output supports 24/192 as does the RCA S/PDIF input on the DAC so I'm not sure what else the manufacturer would have us use. Plus, the Belden 75 ohm coaxial cable I'm using is sweep tested for loss up to 4.5 GHz so it'll have no trouble handling 24/192 kHz. Also, IF the cable were the problem the DAC wouldn't lock on to the signal...that's not the problem, the program (MC 18) is crashing and restarting the computer.

MC 18 may play 24/192 audio for 15 minutes before crashing or maybe an hour and a half but it crashes at some point. I played the same 24/192 audio via foobar2000 (V 1.2.3) yesterday and left it playing all night without problems. This does me little good as I paid for and MUCH prefer JRiver MC's interface.

I assume that the problem is either user error (maybe I have an incorrect setting somewhere) or MC 18 is having problems with these higher rez files on a Windows X64 OS. If I'm the only one having trouble with the program crashing on 24/192 files then it's probably MY fault but I still need to track down the issue. It plays 24/96 audio just fine as far as I can tell.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up