INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitstreaming DTS MA Audio and Dolby True HD  (Read 19163 times)

C17fxr

• Recent member
Bitstreaming DTS MA Audio and Dolby True HD
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:47:57 pm »

This is my first build and I'm looking for some assistance. For some reason I can't get Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master to bitstream to my receiver.
I followed the setup procedures from here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
I ran the audio test in windows for 7.1 speakers. Windows shows the following supported sample rates of: 44.1kHZ, 48.0kHZ, 96.0kHz and 192.0kHz.
And the following encoded formats: DTS audio, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.
So I should be good to go.

Here is how I have JRiver setup for my BluRay movie or concert playback.
Audio Output

Output mode: WASAPI (event style)
Output mode settings: Default

DSP format: 7.1
Mixing: no upmixing or downmixing
Bit depth-24

Bitstreaming: Yes HDMI

My build consist of:
Intel i7 3770S Processor
Asus Maximus V Gene
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2X8GB)
Corsair Force GT 120 GB SSD
Streacom FC10 Case

My receiver is a Denon AVR-4308Ci that I know will play DTS HD Master and Dolby True HD because I seen it play from my Denon DVD-3800Ci.
I'm using an HDMI cable to the AVR and plan to use an external DAC for playing music in the next couple months.

Yes I know the components are way overkill for this build but I',m considering doing more than just the HTPC with this down the road.?  :o

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.
And let me say Thank You in advance to anyone offering helpful information.

mrfx

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Bitstreaming DTS MA Audio and Dolby True HD
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:46:25 pm »

[...]
I ran the audio test in windows for 7.1 speakers. Windows shows the following supported sample rates of: 44.1kHZ, 48.0kHZ, 96.0kHz and 192.0kHz.
And the following encoded formats: DTS audio, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.
[...]

As far I know these 3 formats are not enough.
There also should be DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD formats visible in "Encoded Formats" at HDMI Output Properties.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:27:46 am »

As far I know these 3 formats are not enough.
There also should be DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD formats visible in "Encoded Formats" at HDMI Output Properties.

That is correct.  Your HDMI connection is not "advertising" that it supports either DTS MA or True HD.  It could be one of the following:
- Audio Driver.  Make sure you have installed the latest driver for your HDMI card
- Receiver Does not support it (but you indicate that it does)
- You are not connecting directly to the Receiver but to a TV or other device that does not support DTS MA or True HD

The other option is to just use the recommended settings and decode the Audio so it is sent as MCPCM to the receiver which will still do the DAC and amplify the signal.  The only "downside" of this is you will not see the pretty lights on your receiver light up to say what decoder was used (as it was decoded by MC).  The upside is you can then use all the MC great audio features like the DSP and Audio Clock etc.
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:59 am »

Some video cards (notably various Nvidia cards) do not support DTS-MA or TrueHD bitstreaming.

I don't know specifically about that card, but it is old and even currently shipping models from Nvidia are hit and miss.

If this is the case for your card (which is likely), your best bet is to do as jmone suggested and use MC to decide these formats.  PCM is not lower quality than the encoded formats.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:14:52 am »

Some video cards (notably various Nvidia cards) do not support DTS-MA or TrueHD bitstreaming.

I don't know specifically about that card, but it is old and even currently shipping models from Nvidia are hit and miss.

If this is the case for your card (which is likely), your best bet is to do as jmone suggested and use MC to decide these formats.  PCM is not lower quality than the encoded formats.

I think the OP is using the motherboard/CPU's HD4000 graphics/sound. The GT part of the SSD name threw me into assuming an nVidia card at first read.
Sounds like an EDID issue.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:02 am »

I think the OP is using the motherboard/CPU's HD4000 graphics/sound. The GT part of the SSD name threw me into assuming an nVidia card at first read.
Sounds like an EDID issue.

Ahh, yes.  I have a Corsair Force GT SSD.  I should have noticed.

Ivy supports bitstreaming, so it isn't that, then.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »

OP: I know this is a pain, but try to install the Intel drivers again. This has helped me in the past. In one case, I had to roll back the drivers a version or two to get this same functionality to work.

C17fxr

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:54:59 pm »

OP: I know this is a pain, but try to install the Intel drivers again. This has helped me in the past. In one case, I had to roll back the drivers a version or two to get this same functionality to work.

Yes the GT is my SSD from Corsair and yes I'm wanting to use the motherboard/CPU's HD400 graphic's capabilities.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to you guys but I don't get a lot of time in the afternoons to work on this thing.

Doing the roll back on the processor now then will install the updated drivers again.

If I can't get this to work then I plan to turn this setup into a desktop computer and wait awhile for the next generation of processors to come out.
But this will give me something to toy with and learn along the way. I've really enjoyed putting this together.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Should I add to the name of the thread "With Intel HD4000 graphic's"?  Maybe help someone else in the future and prevent a re-post of the same subject.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:18:10 pm »

All your hardware is OK. The gene and the i3 can bitstream HD formats. I have a Denon as well and it has always worked with a HD4000 based ivy. Try re-installing latest intel video/audio driver for the HD4000. Your problem is most likely at the driver level as you should see the two formats in the supported format list under the denon properties.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58:32 pm »

Doing the roll back on the processor now then will install the updated drivers again.

What I meant was:

If reinstalling the latest drivers doesn't fix the issue, you may have to install older drivers. Sometimes, a new release of drivers breaks a function that was working before. We see this again and again on graphics drivers from Intel, nVidia and AMD, although I have heard of few problems in the latter two recently, and I'm not currently following Intel drivers.

HOWEVER, before you try that do this:
Turn off your PC, and your Denon.
Unplug your Denon.
Wait 10-30 seconds and replug the Denon and turn it on.
Restart your PC.

I've had that work with an Onkyo before. It somehow was transmitting its capabilities to my HTPC incorrectly. A simple standby to on restart fixed nothing, so I tried a complete cold start. Lo and behold, my Windows 7 HTPC recognised my receiver as 7.1 capable with all the supported formats.

C17fxr

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 05:19:08 am »

fitbrit
I had already tried reinstalling the drivers with no luck so I went ahead and reverted back to an older driver.
We wont be doing that anymore, there are no other older drivers, wound up with some 2006 VGA driver.
Got the latest HD4000 driver reinstalled and took your advise.
Had to turn restart the computer for the HD4000 drivers to install so took the time shutdown and unplugged the AVR for over a minute.
Restarted the AVR then rebooted the HTPC, the HD4000 drivers reinstalled fine.
I think something must be wrong because the HTPC remembered the name I gave my AVR.
But still no joy with the Dolby True HD or DTS MA.

Playback Devise still shows:
Support: HDCP
Max Channels: 8
Bit Depth: 16, 20, 24
Sample Rate: 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192.0

DTS Audio
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital

Well back to the salt mines.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Bitstreaming DTS MA Audio and Dolby True HD
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 06:34:08 am »

Two things you should check / try:

Are you downloading the driver from the Intel website or using the one from Windows update? Reason is that I've people have issue with the one from windows update. Download the one from Intel website and install that one never use the one from windows update.

Also have you tried a different hdmi cable as it could be a handshaking issue. Bad hdmi cables can do weird things. I had one go bad after removing my tv from the wall. The cable had been bent into particular shape for years and when that changed it started to play up so had to replace it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Re: Bitstreaming DTS MA Audio and Dolby True HD
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:24 am »

Are you downloading the driver from the Intel website or using the one from Windows update? Reason is that I've people have issue with the one from windows update. Download the one from Intel website and install that one never use the one from windows update.

+1

You need the Intel Graphics driver for your CPU.  That's available here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000%2f2500&ProdId=3498&LineId=1100&FamilyId=39

They do have previous versions going back quite a ways on that search page.  The current one for Windows 7/8 is version 15.​28.​12.​2932 from 12/18/2012.  But they have a previous version from October available as well (15.​28.​8.​2875), and probably others further back.  To be clear, this is separate from the Intel Chipset driver (which you should also get, if you don't have it).

The Windows Update drivers for devices typically only offer "basic functionality".  From your "rollback" comment, it seems like you might be using the ones built into Windows (because that's what would happen if you rolled it back using the Device Manager, and had only installed the Windows Update version).

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 08:44:22 am »

fitbrit
I had already tried reinstalling the drivers with no luck so I went ahead and reverted back to an older driver.
We wont be doing that anymore, there are no other older drivers, wound up with some 2006 VGA driver.
Got the latest HD4000 driver reinstalled and took your advise.
Had to turn restart the computer for the HD4000 drivers to install so took the time shutdown and unplugged the AVR for over a minute.
Restarted the AVR then rebooted the HTPC, the HD4000 drivers reinstalled fine.
I think something must be wrong because the HTPC remembered the name I gave my AVR.
But still no joy with the Dolby True HD or DTS MA.

Playback Devise still shows:
Support: HDCP
Max Channels: 8
Bit Depth: 16, 20, 24
Sample Rate: 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192.0

DTS Audio
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital

Well back to the salt mines.

This is strange. Normally dd+ doesn't show up without TrueHD and Dts-HD MA. Did you scroll down in the format box? :)
I think glynor might be on to something too.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 02:41:27 pm »

C17fxr

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 06:21:03 pm »

Gentlemen
Thank You, Progress made but.
I installed the Oct (15.​28.​8.​2875) and was able to get DTS-HD and Dolby True HD in playback devises.
Then updated to the Dec (15.​28.​12.​2932) and everything was still there.
Funny thing was I ran the Intel Driver Update Utility before doing all this and it said my drivers were up to date. Go figure.
Did the sound check and all channels worked.
I did check the HDMI cable, by swapping it with the one for my Denon DVD player and it worked just fine. Swapped it back because I need it's length (typical male).
Went back and checked my settings in MC18 as listed above and now I'm getting this:
The mixing format of your hardware does not support the current format.
Please use the "Output Format" toll in DSP Studio to convert to the mixing format listed below:
   Sample Rate 192000 Hz
   Channels: 8
   Bits per sample: 32

PS Will start checking AVR settings in the mean time.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 06:54:43 pm »

Your sample rate and bit depth are all messed up (or set way to high for the Denon in surround mode anyway).

It should be 48 kHz and 24 bit.  Check the Output Format DSP.

Set the channels to your real number of channels and make sure the Dolby Digital box is unchecked.
Fix the Sample Rate settings (set them all to no change if you don't know what you're doing, for now, at least).
Set Bitdepth to 24-bit.
Mixing to JRSS (probably), and if you don't want it to expand music to surround, check the For Stereo Sources box.

Then, check Options > Audio > Output mode.  It should be set to WASAPI - Event Style, probably.
Lastly, go to Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming, and select HDMI.*

That should do it for a Denon hooked up via HDMI.

* If you want the TrueHD and DTS-MA lights to light up on the Denon.  Otherwise, MC is a perfectly competent decoder and you lose some features by bitstreaming.

C17fxr

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 05:17:50 am »

All your hardware is OK. The gene and the i3 can bitstream HD formats. I have a Denon as well and it has always worked with a HD4000 based ivy. Try re-installing latest intel video/audio driver for the HD4000. Your problem is most likely at the driver level as you should see the two formats in the supported format list under the denon properties.

Eddyshere
What do you have your settings on your Denon set at? I want to make sure its not the AVR rejecting the signal.

Everyone
Tried the turn off and unplug process with no luck.
Also tried resetting the stuff Glynor advised, even went into playback devices to try changing settings there with no luck.
Its like one finger typing here - hunt and peck for the right combination.

Well off to the salt mines again, today I'm bringing Pepper.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:12 am »

Also tried resetting the stuff Glynor advised, even went into playback devices to try changing settings there with no luck.

Just to double-check... You did reboot after installing the new Graphics driver, right?  It doesn't make you do this on Windows 7/8, but GPU drivers aren't fully enabled until you reboot.

C17fxr

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 04:48:08 pm »

Here's what I have done today:
Turned off the PC, and Denon. Unpluged the Denon.
Waited 2 minutes, replugged in the Denon and turned it on.
Restarted the HTPC.

Checked to make sure LAV Filter were setup.
Checked Playback Devices setting: On the advanced Tab, Default Setting 24bit, 48000Hz (Studio Quality) and also tried 16bit, 44100Hz
Clicked both: Allow application and Give exclusive mode.

MC18
Audio Output

Output mode: tried both "WASAPI (event style)" and "WASAPI"
Output mode settings: tried both "Default" and "Denon AVR-4308CI"

DSP format: 7.1
Mixing: tried both "No upmixing or downmixing" and "Mixing to JRSS"
Bit depth-24

Bitstreaming: Yes HDMI

Denon AVR is set to Direct Input mode and HDMI.

As a side note I can get 24/192 music to play through the AVR. Checked the input setting and it had 192 on the data input display.

Any ideas ?

As a last ditch effort I'm going to re-rip a entire move and not remove anything just to see if its something I did wrong with the movie rip.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 10:53:33 pm »

In your Denon's settings, make sure you have it processing the sound and not passing through to your display device e.g. TV.
You may also want to try a different mode than Direct, as often these are optimised for stereo input and can disable certain circuitry on the receiver. e.g. in my Onkyos' Pure Direct mode, I cannot network control them, since this mode disables that function

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:40 am »

I agree with what fitbrit wrote.  I think the issue might be that you're trying to use Direct Input mode.  On my Denon, this disables a bunch of stuff and is essentially only useful for stereo PCM input.

C17fxr

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 03:41:38 pm »

You guys were right the Direct Mode was for PCM input, so I switched it to Standard input which is to allow decoding of the input signal according to its input.

Still no Joy

Unfortunately I don't have time to jack with this tonight because I have to go back to work in a little bit.
Will do more checking tomorrow.

The good news is the lake is starting to thaw, so I won't have to dig through the ice to float this to the bottom.

Again Thank You guys for helping with this.

One of these days I'll get to play with this thing.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »

Eddyshere
What do you have your settings on your Denon set at? I want to make sure its not the AVR rejecting

It's an AVC-a1hd. Input set to hdmi, standard mode. In pcm mode both denons shall accept up to 8channels 192/24 (direct input). Reading through the post i wonder if you haven't got a frequency issue on the hdmi cable side. If you use a short cable do you have same issues? The longuer the cable gets the more the signal needs to be amplified or better cables have to be used. I ran into similar issues once. The fact was not that the cable (very average quality thus shielding) length was amazingly long (5m) but it ran and was parked across bundles of power plugs behind the rack. This resulted also in funny results which finally where due to cable data transmission quality problems.

C17fxr

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 05:00:15 am »

It's an AVC-a1hd. Input set to hdmi, standard mode. In pcm mode both denons shall accept up to 8channels 192/24 (direct input). Reading through the post i wonder if you haven't got a frequency issue on the hdmi cable side. If you use a short cable do you have same issues? The longuer the cable gets the more the signal needs to be amplified or better cables have to be used. I ran into similar issues once. The fact was not that the cable (very average quality thus shielding) length was amazingly long (5m) but it ran and was parked across bundles of power plugs behind the rack. This resulted also in funny results which finally where due to cable data transmission quality problems.

My HDMI cable is a Wireworld Starlight 5squared and 2M long, I've had it in worse wiring messes than what I do right now but will give it a shot this afternoon when I get home. I also have a better Wireworld Platinum Starlight cable that's 1M, will also give that a try.
Funny thing is once I get this up and running, my plans are to hook it up to an 8M version of the Starlight 5 squared cable which I've used to hook up my DVD player to the receiver and it worked just fine also.

Will also try downloading the audio drivers for the mother board from Intel, just realized I didn't do that and the driver utility said they were up to date just like it did with the processor.

I'm glad its Friday these 18 hour days are killing me.
Happy Friday everyone.

C17fxr

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 06:27:45 pm »

Downloaded audio drivers for mother board and now I have Realtek HDMI as an option for a connection?   ?

Will move the HTPC to a place where I can connect the shorter cable to the AVR in the morning.

The 2M cord only has the 1M cord around it, no power cords or audio interconnects.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 06:30:15 pm »

I also assume you restarted your Denon and PC after changing AVR modes and installing the audio drivers?

C17fxr

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 08:49:44 am »

Finally success.
A good nights sleep does the body good.
Decided to look over all the settings to make sure I was starting with a clean slate.
Found the "open device for exclusive access" box not clicked.
Restarted everything just as fitbrit suggested and now everything works bit perfectly.

Again I want to Thank You guys for the help, was starting to think I was going to wind up with a very well equipped desktop calculator.

From what I've been reading it appears that the HD4000 graphics solution isn't strong enough to handle the Red October HQ functions.
I would need to get a graphics card if I wanted to use these features.

Well the good thing is I can start using playing with this and learn what all I can do with it.

I'll be cruising through the thread offering as much help as I can, with what little I know, as I get this thing tweaked out.

Have A Good Weekend.

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 09:07:21 am »

From what I've been reading it appears that the HD4000 graphics solution isn't strong enough to handle the Red October HQ functions.
You will be able to use it, just not the more demanding scaling algorithms. I don't have an HD4000 so I don't know what you will/won't be able to use. You can almost certainly run bilinear (which is basic, but means you still get the other madVR benefits) and I think DXVA scaling is potentially good on the Intel chips. (awful with Nvidia/AMD)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 09:34:00 am »

You will be able to use it, just not the more demanding scaling algorithms. I don't have an HD4000 so I don't know what you will/won't be able to use. You can almost certainly run bilinear (which is basic, but means you still get the other madVR benefits) and I think DXVA scaling is potentially good on the Intel chips. (awful with Nvidia/AMD)
JRiver does not recommend making any changes to madVR settings.  Just set video to RO HQ and try it.

62, if you think the default settings are incorrect, please start a new thread explaining why.

hollidayjr

• Recent member
  • Never Give Up
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 11:10:12 am »

I have a laptop with HD4000 and desktop HTPC with HD4000 both running Win8 and ROHQ works great!

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 07:06:58 pm »

I had many many hardware iterations so far :
if you have a hd 4000 be sure to run a chipset/mainboard with 1600RAM as it helps a bit. I can report that the HD4000 runs redoctober HQ very decently. the madvr settings lanczos run without an issue. If chroma and scaling are set to jinc or other fancy ressource intensive stuff the HD4000 even with fast ram doesn't cut it. Nor does a 6750 discrete nor a 7750 nor a gtx 650 but a gtx 650TI just handles it...but depending on your case it's not quite silent&cool. And honestly the changes in quality are not clearly visible to me. For me the ATI 7750 prooved be a sweet spot... 

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 03:17:18 am »

62, if you think the default settings are incorrect, please start a new thread explaining why.
I already had madVR installed prior to installing MC18, so I'm not sure what your default settings are.

Certainly the settings for best quality upscaling (Jinc 3 anti-ringing) and downscaling (Catmull-Rom anti-ringing, in linear light) are very demanding on a lot of hardware that would otherwise be able to use madVR with lower quality settings. (I would rather have madVR at a lower quality setting, than use another renderer with a "better" scaling algorithm)

And I'm not sure what you are using for the Hardware Acceleration option - it seems to be CUVID with Nvidia (which is non-optimal; DXVA2 Copy-Back in LAV is best) but I have no idea what that does on AMD/Intel systems, or what is optimal for them.

I'm happy to discuss this further if you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up