INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions re: Synology migration to larger NAS  (Read 2053 times)

ted_b

• World Citizen
Questions re: Synology migration to larger NAS
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »

I have a "move files" question. I have been extracting multichannel DSF files, and they are huge. I'm gonna run out of room on my 4 bay DS410 and will buy the 1812+ and do the Synology "migrate" process (which is basically to create a config file backup, then physical move discs in same order to new target NAS)..and then sell the DS410. Does anyone know if I do that, and can re-establish the same drive numbers for my CAPS server perspective, will I need to do anything on the JRiver side to make sure the library is still seen as same? I gotta think the path will be slightly different to JRiver, maybe not.  I do not plan on renaming anything, if possible.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Questions re: Synology migration to larger NAS
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:01:34 pm »

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:14:00 pm »

Jim,
Thanks.  That is the Wiki I helped some CA folks out with.  I meant to say I was familiar with it (although never used it personally).  But it is very general and (on the surface) doesn't address "what if huge multi-terabyte drive is simply now Q instead of R", and what if cover art default folder is similarly on simply a new drive letter, nothing else changed.  I wouldn't want to accidentally fire up MC and find it looking for the old and get wayyy out of synch before I noticed it and have to move ridiculous amounts of data (i.e like in the days when iTunes would boot up before an external drive, then accidentally not have its library pointed correctly and a simple reboot would have it re-index the whole thing!!)  I'm hoping, though, that I don't have to do anything if my new Synology "looks identical" to JRiver.  We'll see...I was simply posting to see if other Synology folks knew any more.  My library is almost 6 TB and I don't want to move large numbers.  Thanks

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:32:26 pm »

You have two choices:

1) replace the old nas w/the new nas in such a way that the new files are referenced in exactly the same way as the old would have been (mapped drive letter or UNC)
2) replace MCs references of file paths (Filename field) with the new, updated paths.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:06:14 pm »

That is the Wiki I helped some CA folks out with.  I meant to say I was familiar with it (although never used it personally).  But it is very general and (on the surface) doesn't address "what if huge multi-terabyte drive is simply now Q instead of R", and what if cover art default folder is similarly on simply a new drive letter, nothing else changed.
You would use the Library Tools to replace Q: with R: and you would edit the cover art location under File Locations in MC's options.

ted_b

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 03:02:56 pm »

Thanks guys!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up