INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Suddenly Not Recognizing Attached Device  (Read 2324 times)

good sound

• Recent member
Media Center Suddenly Not Recognizing Attached Device
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:01:38 pm »

I have been using Media Center primarily as a device manager transferring files from Media Center to SDHC cards for playback from my MP3 player. This was simple and intuitive, I would right click on the album thumb nail, select send to, then select drives/ devices and then select removeable disc, then I would click on the transfer tab in the action window and presto, in a few minutes I would have the file on my SD card.

Recently my free rial of Media Center expired and since I have been extremely pleased with just about everything concerning JRiver Media Center 18's operation, I decided to pony up the fifty clams US and get a license. The problem is that ever since doing this, when I attempt to transfer files directly onto an SD card from Media Center, under the drives/devices tab the option of removeable disc no longer comes up, burn is the only option offered. It appears that Media Center is no longer recognizing the SD card as a connected device. I know I have the SD card inserted correctly into my PC as it is recognized by Windows, confirmed by the pop-up that appears shortly after inserting the SD card. Plus when I go into the music files in Explorer I am able to access the contents of the SD card there. I know there is still plenty of space available on the card.

Other than purchasing and activating my license for Media Center I have made no other changes to Media Center. It doesn't seem logical that the simple action of purchasing and activating my license would suddenly cause this issue, yet there seems to be no other logical explanation.

Can anyone assist me with this little dilema. Yes, there are other work arounds for this issue, including going through Windows Explorer, but that's not the point. This is basically the primary reason I have Media Center and it's my preferred method for transfering files to my SD cards as it is simple and intuitve, which for a computer neophyte like myself is an absolute neccessity.

Any insight or assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center Suddenly Not Recognizing Attached Device
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:06:33 pm »

Purchase shouldn't change anything, but try using Handheld Sync in the Action Window.

good sound

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:29:23 pm »

Purchase shouldn't change anything, but try using Handheld Sync in the Action Window.

That's what I thought, that purchase shouldn't change anything. I tried syncing my handheld but that did nothing which franklly isn't surprising as this has nothing to do with my hand held actually. This has to do with Media center no longer recognizing an attached or connected device that it previously did. When I hook up my MP3player(hanheld) it recognizes it, no trouble, but it will no longer detect that I have a memory card connected to the PC tower when before it did and my PC's OS still does.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:27:39 pm »

I had the same thing a few days ago. My portable device wasn't recognized any more.

For me, a little registry hack did the trick. I don't remember the path to the registry keys ('cause I deleted them ;)) but I deleted the keys containing the list of ignored devices. I don't know why, but ALL my devices where in that list. After deleting the keys it worked again without losing any sync settings inside MC.

I'm not sure when this happened, because I do not need this feature that often. I'm also not sure if it is a bug or if I added the devices to this list by accident somehow.

good sound

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:39:47 pm »

I had the same thing a few days ago. My portable device wasn't recognized any more.

For me, a little registry hack did the trick. I don't remember the path to the registry keys ('cause I deleted them ;)) but I deleted the keys containing the list of ignored devices. I don't know why, but ALL my devices where in that list. After deleting the keys it worked again without losing any sync settings inside MC.

I'm not sure when this happened, because I do not need this feature that often. I'm also not sure if it is a bug or if I added the devices to this list by accident somehow.

For me Media center still detects and recognizes my handheld device and my daughters i-pod Touch but not an SD card when it is fully and properly inserted into my PC. There is no way I would ever even think of messing with the registry. Also I know I haven't done anything at all to cause this to happen accidentily or otherwise. One day I was transferring files to the SD card directly from media center wirthout issue, the next day I paid for the full license version, went to transfer some more files and suddenly Media Center does not detect the presence of the memory card. To say I'm baffled would be a gigantic understatement. I really, really, really, don't want to have to uninstal then re-install the software, as I know that will be a major PITA, but I know someone is eventually going to suggest that as my only course of action. That's just my luck. I'm hoping against hope that someone here will have another solution, Pleeeeeeeease!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:55:29 pm »

Maybe the drive letter changed.

good sound

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 06:09:52 pm »

Maybe the drive letter changed.

My apologies but I am really something of a neophyte when it comes to all things computer so I have no idea what a 'drive letter' is. You will have to talk to me like I am a complete idiot. Don't worry I won't take it personally, I just need very detailed instructions and simplistic descriptions that are as close to layman terms as possible. I appreciate the help. Would this change in drive letter affect Media Center's ability to detect the memory card but not Windows ability to detect the same card?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:27:37 pm »

Drive Letter: All drives (internal and external ones) get a letter. It's the way how windows identifies drives.

Because you didn't know maybe you can't answer the question, if your drive letter changed.

Would this change in drive letter affect Media Center's ability to detect the memory card but not Windows ability to detect the same card?
No, it should not affect Media Center as well as it shouldn't affect Windows. But there are some reasons why it could effect Media Center. Now (as you just learned what a drive letter is ;)) you should try to change the drive letter manually to see if this brings back the card to MC.

You can read how to change a drive letter there. Works this way for windows 7 & 8, and I guess even XP is the same way, but not sure for that. If you need more assistance just ask back here, especially if you don't see which of the Volumes you should change (Step 3)! I'd suggest to choose a "high" letter, such as "X" or "Y" to do this test.

After doing this, you can easily use the same steps to undo the drive letter change. There is NO data changed on your card using the described way. Windows just changes the letter for the drive without touching the drive itself.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 06:31:14 pm »

Same for WinXP. Manual with pictures can be found here: http://www.petri.co.il/change_a_drive_letter_in_windows_xp.htm. You can ignore the warning at the end, because this will not affect you. But if you're afraid: remember the letter your drive had before, so you can easily change it back!

good sound

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 07:13:36 pm »

Thanks so much for the advice. yep, the drive letter must have changed somehow. I followed the directions provided and changed the letter and now media center detects and recognizes the memory card. Fantastic! Well done, thanks again.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 07:28:16 pm »

Great to see it's working again for you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up