INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library sync to tablet  (Read 1086 times)

MM_switcher

• Junior Woodchuck
Library sync to tablet
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:44:26 am »

I have my main library with MC18 on the notebook and try to sync it to my W8pro-Tablet, also with MC18.
I manually copied all audio files with the same structure from NB to tab and exportet/imported the library.
So far everything worked like expected.

Having a new album on the NB and start to sync the library on the tab, it starts to copy all files from the NB into the standard MC18-defined folders, which are different than mine.

My actual set-up is:
10_Artist\Letters from A-Z\Album Artist\Album xyz\01 - song.mp3 (in case of several albums per Album Artist)
10_Artist\Letters from A-Z\Album Artist - Album\01 - song.mp3 (in case of only one album per Album Artist)
20_Sampler\Genre\Subgenre\Album\01 - Artist - song.mp3
30_Magyar\Album Artists\01 - song.mp3

Probably this set-up is too complicated and different to what MC expects. I'm willing to re-arrange my current set-up in order to make things easier.
Is there any recommendation from the community regarding the folder structure in combination with the great MC18 capabilities (recognizing the current set-up)?

Thanks in advance for help.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Library sync to tablet
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:57:41 am »

MC will happily use the structure you have, but you'll have to use some expression rules to have MC place files within this structure for new files (e.g. that come from rips).

The difficult one is your single-album Album Artist, as you won't have a count of albums by any given artist or album artist at the time of file creation (you could make such a rule, but this is far more trouble than it might be worth for you at this point).  There is really no benefit to this exception rule, other than in Explorer to avoid an extra double-click in your drill down.  Toss the exception.

To use a Sampler type categorization, again, you'll have to have a rule, but it will need to be based on some value you set for some field prior to ripping (to trigger the rule's condition).  You could use a Compilation field, for example.

For your Magyar stuff, again, another condition to test for.

Your time might be better spent using a simple Album Artist (auto)\Album folder rule, and spend your time doing the more complex views and filtering in MC.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MM_switcher

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:39:27 pm »

Following your advice, I rearranged my library into D:\Music\ and only sub-directory with letters (0-9; A; B; ..)
The samplers are all as "Diverse" in the letter "D".

For automated renaming and moving I created a rule:
"if(isequal([Albuminterpret (auto)],Diverse,1),D\Diverse\[Genre],left([Albuminterpret (auto)],1)\[Artist]\[Album])"
which does what I want in the "else"-case.

But if the Albuminterpret is "Diverse", I get with e.g. the Genre "Rock \ Hard-Rock" one directory with "Rock_Hard-Rock".
I'd like to have one directory "Rock" with a sub-directory "Hard-Rock".  (and of course many other subdirectories) Playing around with some functions did not lead to the desidered results, I'm not able to cope with the delimiter.

Any hint for a solution would be very welcome.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:43:11 pm »

Try this for your [Genre] in the rename rule:

replace([genre],/ _/ , \)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up