INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTS decoding on PC problem  (Read 4389 times)

michaelmcclatchy

• Recent member
DTS decoding on PC problem
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:22:47 pm »

JRiver 18.0.164 using WSAPI event style,   Windows8,   Sound card stereo out (works fine except DTS) to PC speakers

When I play any flac DTS file, I only get white noise sound. I've tried everything but can't the DTS to decode on PC  ?

Thanks in advance!

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: DTS decoding on PC problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 02:56:56 pm »

You need the file from Arcsoft called "DTSDECODERDLL.DLL". Install TMT on a computer where it doesn't matter and copy the file to your computer hosting MC. Place it in the MC program folder or in c:\windows\syswow64.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:00:00 pm »

You need the file from Arcsoft called "DTSDECODERDLL.DLL". Install TMT on a computer where it doesn't matter and copy the file to your computer hosting MC. Place it in the MC program folder or in c:\windows\syswow64.

This is wrong, you don't need that to decode plain DTS.

The real problem is that you encoded your DTS into a FLAC file, which is not only not-supported, but also rather silly! (why would you do that? The file probably got bigger from that, not smaller)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:42:16 pm »

My memory must have tricked me. When do we need that file then ? I thought it was when we are playing videos with more exotic audio than Dolby Surround.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 04:19:52 pm »

You only need this for "DTS-HD" decoding.  All else is fine.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php?title=Blu-ray&redirect=no
JRiver CEO Elect

michaelmcclatchy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 05:18:56 pm »

BTW, I did not encode these files... It's just the way they are.

These same FLAC DTS file play on my other system that's HDMI connected to my Denon 1911 receiver... But only AFTER 2 seconds of white noise.

I still cant play these files at all with just PC speakers and I can't figure out any way to decode the DTS on my PC.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 06:43:33 pm »

This is wrong, you don't need that to decode plain DTS.

The real problem is that you encoded your DTS into a FLAC file, which is not only not-supported, but also rather silly! (why would you do that? The file probably got bigger from that, not smaller)
Nev - you spend too much time in the Video world.  ;D

This is a DTS WAVE file of format .WAV that was then encode into a FLAC file, so it is indeed smaller.

The DTS WAVE file comes from ripping a DTS CD.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 12:57:35 am »

This is a DTS WAVE file of format .WAV that was then encode into a FLAC file, so it is indeed smaller.

Are you sure about that?
The way lossless compressions like FLAC work, they are terribly inefficient when compressing something like DTS, which is just random white noise, and not PCM audio, very hard to compress further.

Even if they are slightly smaller, the difference would still be marginal.

In any case, such files are not supported, and good luck with them ever being supported, so don't do it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

digi340

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:03:00 am »

The problem is: when play direct from cd music in DTS-WAV  JRiver  play static noise.When extract track to HDD with power iso JRiver play the music.Please fix .Excuse me for my English.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 01:31:53 am »

Can you post a sample file? The only sample I could find with a working link is correctly detected as being DTS audio and works perfectly in MC18.

And I have no idea if it will work or not, but have you tried renaming the files to .dts?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:20:58 am »

dts-wav files work, what doesn't work is a dts-wav which someone decided to "compress" into FLAC. :P
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

michaelmcclatchy

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 08:01:15 am »

Hey, I think you finally got "it".
There's no valid technical reason why this FLAC DTS file should not play properly in JRiver  ::)

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 01:01:27 pm »

I thought FLAC was a compression format, rather than a container though - I don't think DTS audio belongs inside a FLAC file.

But perhaps there could be some way of tagging the files so that MC18 can understand them? (if they wanted to add support)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 01:32:01 pm »

I thought FLAC was a compression format, rather than a container though - I don't think DTS audio belongs inside a FLAC file.

Thats exactly what it is, which is why its so wrong. You need two decoders to process it, which is just not how things are usually designed.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

michaelmcclatchy

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 02:57:43 pm »

My other HTPC with HDMI to Denon 1911 AVR plays this FLAC DTS file. Denon receiver's DTS light even lights up.   
So much for theory...

Looking through these threads, many experts say to let your PC do the decoding because it's as good or better than hardware.
Explain why a good AV receiver (hardware) decodes this but JRiver (PC software) can't play this FLAC DTS file to plain old PC speakers  ;D

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 04:06:20 pm »

My other HTPC with HDMI to Denon 1911 AVR plays this FLAC DTS file. Denon receiver's DTS light even lights up.  
This is because the AVR detects that the audio being played is DTS and decodes it. (similar to the way you can update the firmware of some devices with an audio file - they are looking for it)

MC18 does not look for DTS audio inside FLAC files, because they are only supposed to contain PCM audio - they are not a container format like WAV is.

From what I have read, should also find that most of your FLAC files are "compressed" to around 1200-1250kbps because this is roughly the bitrate of the original DTS stream contained within the WAV file.

It seems that the better solution would be to extract the DTS audio from the WAV file, rather than trying to convert to FLAC.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 11:12:10 pm »

For fun, since they are in FLAC you could mux them into a MKA container ;D and see what plays it.  DTS in WAV in FLAC in MKA.  Seriously as I found years ago (in the post linked above) just convert them and move on.
JRiver CEO Elect

michaelmcclatchy

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 12:58:56 pm »

Will this work?
Re-encode these FLAC DTS files into WAV?  Is there another format recomended?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »

Will this work?
Re-encode these FLAC DTS files into WAV?  Is there another format recomended?

Yes, it will work.

For DTS, WAV is the only supported container in MC.

I don't expect this to change soon, for the technical reasons listed above.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 02:02:46 pm »

Yes, it will work.

For DTS, WAV is the only supported container in MC.

I don't expect this to change soon, for the technical reasons listed above.
Would it be possible to have MC extract the DTS audio from those WAV files to .DTS files?
I could be mistaken, but I think that even if is just padded with zeroes (the DTS track is 1234.8kbps, padded to 1411/1536 in a WAV file) the WAV file will actually take up more space - which is why someone might be tempted to compress the file with FLAC.

If you could extract the DTS audio, that solves both problems.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 02:21:35 pm »

DTS-in-WAV uses a 14-in-16-bit encoding scheme, which makes it take up more space then it actually has bandwith, which makes 1234.8kbps come out to 1411kbps in WAV.
This is done so that when you play it as PCM accidentally, there are no extremely high PCM values, so the first two bits in every WORD are always zero.

While of course it would be possible to convert this back to a normal dts stream without the extra zero bits, its a bit more complicated to convert.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

paolo.iacomacci

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 02:25:47 pm »

I updated MC with the 18 version, and I suddenly can't play DTS audio files anymore... Can someone halp me??
Thank you!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up