INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Semicolon in path name  (Read 2974 times)

Niek

• Recent member
Semicolon in path name
« on: April 15, 2013, 12:40:37 pm »

When I compared my Media Center DB with my Sonos DB I noticed a few albums were missing.

It turned out that the missing files were physically on disk however when the parent directory name contains a semicolon MC ignores the files underneath. Replacing them by a hyphen solved the problem.

Not a big deal but nice to know...

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Semicolon in path name
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:59:32 pm »

Semicolon should be accepted, so this would be a bug.  The change logs indicate there have been issues with semicolon's in folder or file names in the past and these have been resolved.  Perhaps there is a new bug now.

How did you import the files?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Niek

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:28 pm »

Semicolon should be accepted, so this would be a bug.  The change logs indicate there have been issues with semicolon's in folder or file names in the past and these have been resolved.  Perhaps there is a new bug now.

How did you import the files?

Through: <file> <library> <import> <import a single folder>

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:30:05 pm »

I'm not able to replicate this.  I've placed semicolon's in various areas in parent, grandparent, etc. folders and the files are imported.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Niek

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 05:13:22 pm »

Let me try to back track where this is coming from because I've got a few other directories containing semicolons that don't cause any problem  ?

Niek

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:45:07 am »

I'm not able to replicate this.  I've placed semicolon's in various areas in parent, grandparent, etc. folders and the files are imported.

Try a single digit number followed by a semicolon or strings like "Op. 9; Adagio" and "No. 3; Allegro"

Hope this helps,

Niek.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:11:24 am »

Just another data point

The ONLY track on this album that has semi colons shown in the name of the track is "08 Señor Mouse.aif".  It is the only track with a hi-ascii character in the name.

There are other albums that use umlauts etc., which also have this same problem.
Such as the entire album by Christoph von Dohnányi.

AND let me add that these instances of semicolons appearing in names, happened AFTER I installed 169.  I just went thru and cleaned up the names and they appear normal, for now.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 07:06:11 am »

There was a similar problem reported in the last two weeks.  It turned out to be a problem with applesync.  Try a search here.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:11:26 am »

Just another data point

The ONLY track on this album that has semi colons shown in the name of the track is "08 Señor Mouse.aif".  It is the only track with a hi-ascii character in the name.

There are other albums that use umlauts etc., which also have this same problem.
Such as the entire album by Christoph von Dohnányi.

AND let me add that these instances of semicolons appearing in names, happened AFTER I installed 169.  I just went thru and cleaned up the names and they appear normal, for now.

JJ
Builds prior to 167 could write tags with extraneous semi-colons when the tag contained high-ascii characters (such as umlaut). You'll need to manually edit those tags in your library.  It's possible that you didn't see the issue until later because the MC library had not done an update from tags until after you installed build 169.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 08:12:13 am »

There was a similar problem reported in the last two weeks.  It turned out to be a problem with applesync.  Try a search here.
I think it was applescript here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79731.msg543324#msg543324

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 02:17:27 pm »

I suppose that is possible.

But,,,  I already did go thru my library and clean up the files.  And then these last few popped out.

I'll keep my eye on it.  Just to see if it happens any more.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 02:23:16 pm »

I suppose that is possible.

But,,,  I already did go thru my library and clean up the files.  And then these last few popped out.

I'll keep my eye on it.  Just to see if it happens any more.

JJ
Since the corruption happened at tag writing time, the library wouldn't show a problem until the tags were again read and updated back into the library, so that's probably what happened with those last few.
Pages: [1]   Go Up