INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MCE Remote default key mapping  (Read 8602 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
MCE Remote default key mapping
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:08:50 pm »

Is there a list of MC18's default key mapping for MCE Remotes (such as the one sold in this Forum)?

There is an old thread with a long list of suggested key map changes, and various replies about plans for some changes, so from that it is unclear what the current defaults are.

I could not find anything more in the Forum or Wiki (but perhaps it is there under an unexpected title).

Thanks !

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MCE Remote default key mapping
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:13:52 pm »

I don't think JRiver has published anything, but it's the same as a Windows Media Center Remote.  Maybe you can find information with a search.

kstuart

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:13:15 pm »

Amazingly enough, I have not found anything by doing a web search for WMC's remote default key mapping (Google's page rank algorithms seem to have pushed all the results for other program's replacement mapping (including JRiver) so high up that I don't see any info for WMC (lol).

Anyway, the printed button names on the remote don't seem to apply - replay and skip buttons don't do those things, instead left and right arrows do those functions.

A 2009 thread by jmone discusses suggestions:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50742.0

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:49:58 am »

Wow - I remember that thread (just!).... This page (I think) still applies http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb417079.aspx

By Key mapping do you mean:
- What does each Key on the RC do in MC's TheaterView or
- What (if any) is the keyboard shortcut for each Key on the RC.
JRiver CEO Elect

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:00:25 pm »

a long list of suggested key map changes, and various replies about plans for some changes

Not sure if these help if remapping is the goal.I found these links but havent as yet got around totrying them
Tweaking the MCE remote in Windows http://sojournal.tweakblogs.net/blog/4884/tweaking-the-mce-remote-in-windows.html
Using a Microsoft remote control in Windows http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Using_a_Microsoft_remote_control_in_Windows

Both relate to altering remapping functions via the registry for use in xbmc but was going to explore if could be used in MC

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 10:06:19 pm »

If there are changes to the function in MC that you think the MCE remote should do differently, then it would be worth posting as it may be good for all
JRiver CEO Elect

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »

If there are changes to the function in MC that you think the MCE remote should do differently, then it would be worth posting as it may be good for all
This is on my "To Do List" and If succesful, will do

kstuart

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 12:06:17 pm »

jmone wrote: "This page (I think) still applies http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb417079.aspx "

Thanks !   That's the sort of information I was looking for.

( As Google becomes more and more a portal to the Web, rather than a search tool, one needs to find the exact wording, in order to get the information you want, instead of merely the most popular page that is related to the subject.  I think that there is some acknowledgement of this by Google, when they implemented the Knowledge feature that sometimes gives you some wikipedia-esque info on the right side of the screen.)

By "mapping" I simply mean what the key actually does, as opposed to what is silk-screened next to it on the face of the remote.  (Generally, in Display View during video playback, and Standard View for file selection - I haven't yet investigated Theater View in depth...)

For example, I have discovered that by default, the skip back and ahead buttons don't do anything in media players, but left and right arrows skip back and ahead in both MC18 and other players (confirming Jim's statement that MC is just using the defaults).

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 06:15:57 pm »

A Question to all.

jmone wrote: "This page (I think) still applies http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb417079.aspx "
KStuart wrote
By "mapping" I simply mean what the key actually does, as opposed to what is silk-screened next to it on the face of the remote.
For example, I have discovered that by default, the skip back and ahead buttons don't do anything in media players, but left and right arrows skip back and ahead in both MC18 and other players (confirming Jim's statement that MC is just using the defaults).

Exactly, its a trial an error thing. You press a button and see what happens. I suppose its a combination of the default coding of that button (which is greek to me) and then How MC comprehends that code.... and what if anything it actions.

Question: How is this default mapping information useful?
Is it only the MC coders that can change the ultimate behaviour of each button in whatever view?
Can we use MC "Core commands" to reprogram every button's behaviour but perhaps only where there is blank or undesirable default behaviour ?
Or is it a case of some complicated registry hacks to presumably change the default behaviour when the above two wont suffice?
cheers

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »

I am having an issue with Live TV playback behaviour of skip and replay buttons (ctrl+f and ctrl+b) and an MCE remote in JRiver. Buttons as per http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb417079.aspx

The behaviour is WMC is: skip and replay change chapters when playing a dvd, but when playing TV they advance 30 sec and replay 5 sec. So the behaviour depends on context.

In jriver, the buttons skip chapters for a dvd, but change channels when playing TV (as channels are in the playing now list)
This is a real cause of frustration

Any idea how to replicate WMC behaviour in jriver

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 06:05:15 am »

Try the right and left arrows in the 5-key arrow pad.  See the OSD topic on the wiki for more on this.

BradC

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 08:16:08 pm »

HI Jim

yes I know that the left and right arrows on the remote can do skip and replay.

However, I wish to replicate the behaviour of an MCE remote in windows media center. This is what people in the house are used to (and it's more logical)

I can remap the dvd chapter buttons to arrow keys, but then I lose the chapter skip when playing dvds.

However, the main issue is the behaviour of the chapter skip buttons when playing live TV - they change the channel. This is a serious problem if using a timeshift buffer - as you lose the buffer when changing channel.
Since people are used to these buttons for jumping 30 seconds forward through commercials, but in jriver they change channels, I have to change them

Any suggestions to achieve the desired bahaviour?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:45:18 pm »

As you can't "customise" the button mappings for an MCE remote in MC, I would suggest there is currently no way to do this.

Perhaps then, the request is for those buttons to be contextual based on what type of media is playing.

The difficulty may be that the channel + and - buttons are mapped to the same MC function.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:22 am »

Skimming through the back and forth here, makes me think how good I've got it with the HD-Plex offering:
http://www.hd-plex.com/hdplex-internal-mce-ir-remote-control.html

I currently don't have a need to rework the internals of the IR remote but I know I've got some capacity to make changes if the desire takes me. Go to the bottom of the page noted above and you'll see there are links to configuration software and an instruction manual. If you check the forum, there's even an industrious user working up a Linux option:
http://www.hd-plex.com/forum/showthread.php?t=924

The IR receiver is normally a package deal with a case but, I believe, Larry may sell it as a separate item. For USD$12 (just the receiver) it's potentially a cheap option. Plead your case and see how you go.

Not sure if this helps but I thought, it wouldn't hurt to throw this one into the mix.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up